uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cousin Dave
Trendsetter
Premium
join:2002-10-29

My phone just rang and my own number was on the caller ID

How the hell does that happen?
It was my own number in this format 1-757-59X-XXXX.
I didn't answer and when I returned the call, of course, I got a busy signal.
Any thoughts?
--
Ted Nugent For President

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
It's a slimeball telemarketer. Don't answer.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
reply to Cousin Dave
Apparently caller ID is easy to forge from VOIP. There were some earlier threads on that, maybe a year or three ago.
--
AT&T dsl; Westell 327w modem/router; openSuSE 11.0; firefox 3.0.3

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL

4 recommendations

reply to Cousin Dave
Get out! Get out of the house NOW!

Cousin Dave
Trendsetter
Premium
reply to Cousin Dave
Freaked me out a little.

Cousin Dave
Trendsetter
Premium
reply to Chinabound
said by Chinabound:

Get out! Get out of the house NOW!
I know, right!

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
reply to Cousin Dave
You need to use WEP on your phone.

Ray
Mahnahmahna
Premium
join:2001-04-02
Gilbert, AZ
*blink* *blink*

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

You need to use WEP on your phone.
or a condom

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Cousin Dave
its as easy to do as receiving email from yourself.

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

2 recommendations

reply to Cousin Dave
Its Morpheus take the red pill.

Caller DI

@sbcglobal.net
reply to nwrickert
said by nwrickert:

Apparently caller ID is easy to forge from VOIP.
I was led to understand that it's also possible to forge caller ID from a regular landline without VOIP.

IIRC, there's a company or two that provides a subscription-based service where a caller decides what number they want to appear to be calling from, then inputs that number on a website before they make a call.

The primary market for Caller ID spoofing seems to be collection agencies who have people trying to dodge their calls using Caller ID. Apparently, chances are good that if a call is listed as coming from your number, you're likely to pick it up, if only to see who it is.

Someone posted a link for a piece of hardware known as a "call manager" a while back that ran about $100, but featured the ability to reject calls that weren't on a pre-programmed "white list." That's about the only way I know of to avoid junk calls entirely and obviously that method only works for phone numbers you're aware of beforehand.

Some people swear by the DNC list, but it's only fair to point out that there's nothing to stop unscrupulous (and fly-by-night) telemarketers from making use of that list, especially since the numbers on it are almost all viable numbers. A firm has to stay in one place for the FTC to catch up with them for prosecution, and not all telemarketing firms are obliging enough to stay in one place long enough to be found and busted.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 recommendation

reply to Cousin Dave
It's just a scumbag telemarketer who learned, as said above, to use your number to show up in Caller ID. They probably do it so you will be curious enough to know who it is to answer. Next time it happens, answer it as "United States Attorney's Office" and I bet they hang up pretty quick and don't call you again.
--
"That Which Does Not Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"!

EveryName
Premium
join:2001-12-05
Montreal
reply to Cousin Dave
I remember this program i downloaded on the PC a few years back that would call any number in North America with a spoofed number and spoofed name. It was fun while it lasted.

Temp banned from BBR more then anyone

join:2002-10-02
PwnZone
I get this crap all the time. It's an autodialer. For me it often says it's from some non existant area code. I've even got one where the area code was 911.

I suspect it was because I had my phone # posted on my resume somewhere on the internet

bigunk
Gort, Klattu Birada Nikto

join:2001-02-10
USA
This is easy to do if you have the right circuit and equipment. On a recent phone system turnup, I demonstrated it to my client. I asked him what number he would like to appear on his cellphone when I called him. He said 1234567890. So I did that. It took a PRI and a system with CLIP changing abilities to do it, but it was simple. It's illegal as hell but simple. I did this to show the client that he could have DIDs hitting any phone in his company, but have all those same phones dial out using the company main number. In case you think we're pulling a fast one, nice try. I have way too much at stake to spoof numbers, and so so my clients.
--
There is not a man in the country that can't make a living for himself and family. But he can't make a living for them AND his government, the way his government is living. What the government has got to do is live as cheap as the people.
- Will Rogers

battleop

join:2005-09-28
I've not seen anything that makes it illegal to spoof caller ID. I think what makes it illegal is how it is used. We have customers who might have 16 different numbers at their location with all 16 lines showing the same outbound caller ID.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to Cousin Dave
It's a telemarketer or collection agent. You can easily spoof Caller ID from a VoIP switch or PBX.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to Cousin Dave
If instead of a busy signal, you picked up the phone and said "hello?" to yourself, I would probably advise you to get out of the house.

For now, like others have said, it's just some telemarketer spoofing the #.

altermatt
Premium
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Caller DI
said by Caller DI :

That's about the only way I know of to avoid junk calls entirely
Or just get an answering machine and screen your calls---don't pick up if you don't want to. What's wrong with that?
--
The truth of a thing is the feel of it, not the think of it. -- Stanley Kubrick

a101

@cox.net
reply to bigunk
said by bigunk:

This is easy to do if you have the right circuit and equipment. On a recent phone system turnup, I demonstrated it to my client. I asked him what number he would like to appear on his cellphone when I called him. He said 1234567890. So I did that. It took a PRI and a system with CLIP changing abilities to do it, but it was simple. It's illegal as hell but simple. I did this to show the client that he could have DIDs hitting any phone in his company, but have all those same phones dial out using the company main number. In case you think we're pulling a fast one, nice try. I have way too much at stake to spoof numbers, and so so my clients.
DID = ???

PRI = ???

CLIP =???

Your posting might mean a lot more to people if they knew what those terms meant.

O.O.

quetwo
That VoIP Guy
Premium
join:2004-09-04
East Lansing, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Cousin Dave
On some old 5ESS switches, they had a feature that allowed self-station identification (on TN793 Caller-ID boards). I think it was activated by two quick flash-hooks (outside the range of pulse dialing). What would happen is you would get a call back from the tone-detector board with your own caller-id. Essentially, it was a clear line, or a busy line.

It's pretty common in former GTE areas. You should not experience it if you have a DSL or ISDN circuit (they would use TN799C packs for those, usually).

dacinc

join:2006-03-15
Middletown, NJ
reply to Cousin Dave
"How's your Bud Ice" Duby duby dooo!"

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=liDXw6aN···ud%20ice

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium
join:1999-06-29
Hartsdale, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Cousin Dave
It's your future self calling your present self.
--
CRUNCH THIS!

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium
join:2001-05-25
Limbo
reply to Cousin Dave
It's a call from sleazeballs who have nothing legitimate to sell you. The fact that they're obviously spoofing caller ID to suppress their identity is the best confirmation.

IMHO, the phone system rules regarding the allowances of caller ID manipulation are way too lax. Somtimes it's necessary for call centers, etc. but blatant manipulation for illegal activity should be pursued and prohibited when possible. I get the impression that as long as they're getting paid, most telecom companies really don't care.
--
Tradition: Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid. --despair.com

Opt101

join:2002-09-24
Woodbridge, CT
reply to Cousin Dave
Its called spoofcard.com

Its supposed to be used as a fun thing, fooled a couple friends with it. Just play nice, because they will forward your info if used for the wrong purpose.

RScottyL

join:2004-12-28
Irving, TX
said by Opt101:

Its called spoofcard.com

Its supposed to be used as a fun thing, fooled a couple friends with it. Just play nice, because they will forward your info if used for the wrong purpose.
I just tried this three times, and it is not working correctly!

It always shows:

866-304-8880 UNAVAILABLE

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to a101
said by a101 :

DID = ???

PRI = ???

CLIP =???
DID - Direct Inward Dial. Most commonly used with a PRI. You have multiple numbers that ring the same trunk. The phone system receives the DID info and routes the call based on existing rules. And before you ask, a trunk is a connection between your phone system and the public telephone network (PSTN). A trunk can be collection of basic analog phone lines, a collection of digital phone lines or a larger group like a PRI (which is technically a collection of digital phone lines.

PRI - Primary Rate Interface. It has a cousin called BRI, Basic Rate Interface. Both are ISDN standards which are essentially digital phone lines. A PRI is a collection of 23 BRI lines bundled into one connection. It's also sometimes called a Voice T1 because it is delivered like a T1. T1's actually have 24 channels but in PRI form one channel is used for maintenance and call data (such as Caller ID and ANI).

CLIP - Not sure, never heard of it honestly. And Google wasn't much help either.

Here's more info if you want to read up on it.
PRI - »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_rate_interface
BRI - »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Rate_Interface
ISDN - »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated···_Network
PSTN - »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_swi···_network
DID - »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_inward_dialing
ANI - »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_···fication

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma
said by JoelC707 See ProfileDID - Direct Inward Dial. Most commonly used with a PRI. You have multiple numbers that ring the same trunk. The phone system receives the DID info and routes the call based on existing rules. And before you ask, a trunk is a connection between your phone system and the public telephone network (PSTN). A trunk can be collection of basic analog phone lines, a collection of digital phone lines or a larger group like a PRI (which is technically a collection of digital phone lines.

PRI - Primary Rate Interface. It has a cousin called BRI, Basic Rate Interface. Both are ISDN standards which are essentially digital phone lines. A PRI is a collection of 23 BRI lines bundled into one connection. It's also sometimes called a Voice T1 because it is delivered like a T1. T1's actually have 24 channels but in PRI form one channel is used for maintenance and call data (such as Caller ID and ANI).

CLIP - Not sure, never heard of it honestly. And Google wasn't much help either.
[/BQUOTE :

Telco Guy, I love it. I'm retired PacBell and also did some Contracting after, and I was right in the middle of all this. Worked in the Silicon Valley and all those Companies always had their on Switches and Trucking was a way of life.

CurtesyFlush
Bababooey, fafafooey, tatatoothy.
Premium
join:2002-08-23
Fontana, CA
reply to Cousin Dave
Stop calling yourself Cousin Dave.