spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

PoE alternative for Alvarion VL

Has anyone tried to use a standard PoE injector for the Alvarion VL instead of their IDU?

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

viperm

Premium Member

They are not using standard POE pairs. I did use with success a POE out of a proxim MP.11 radio without any problems..

I think you would be able to use another as long as the pairs are correct as far as power goes..
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

Their PoE uses 55 volts. I have an extra Motorola PtP power supply putting out the same voltage I'm going to try.

I wonder if the MP.11 supply is 48 volts. I have lots of 48 volt PoE's around if they will work on the lesser voltage...

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
Winchester, CA

1 edit

viperm to wirelessdog

Premium Member

to wirelessdog
The Mp.11 POE i used was 48 volt that's why I used it I Was in a pinch and the customer was down and all we had at the time was a proxim evaluation kit with 3 radios we never evaluated so we robbed the POE to get this customer back up..
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

Any idea how the pinout differed?

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
Winchester, CA

viperm to wirelessdog

Premium Member

to wirelessdog
This still does not give out pin out info as far as power but interesting read.

»www.mail-archive.com/wir ··· 367.html
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

Ok. I burned up two VL radios in the process but here is the pinout that will work and I'm using it with standard Pacwireless PoE 18i injectors.

Side A - standard 568b termination
Side B - Orange White, Orange, Green White, Blue, Brown White, Green, Blue White, Brown.

Enjoy.
shorthairedp
join:2005-11-21
united state

shorthairedp to wirelessdog

to wirelessdog
so its reverse pins 4 and 6?

I was curious for some time about making a top end data cable (you can get them from alvarion now)

What I tried to do was find out which pairs were tx and rx and split them out so I could connect my laptop to an installed B14 at a grain elevator with out having to pull up an extension cord, just put it in between the top of the cat5 and the radio. Im pretty confident the alvarion POE is simply passthrough for TX/RX.

If you can tell me what pairs are data it would really tickle my satchel.

crazymon
@212.1.106.x

crazymon to wirelessdog

Anon

to wirelessdog
So you burned up two radios instead of emailing the manufacturer for the pinout?
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

Pin 1 = data
Pin 2 = data
Pin 3 = data
Pin 4 = Voltage +
Pin 5 = Voltage -
Pin 6 = data
Pin 7 = Voltage +
Pin 8 = Voltage -

Problem I am having is when I connect the device to a switch it reboots and won't come back up. No idea why...
kknguyen99
join:2008-11-17
San Jose, CA

kknguyen99

I have similar issue as "delmarvawifi" described.
The pin out is correct as I verified but I can't get the ALVARION to come up. It kept reseting until I remove the ethernet cable to the ethernet switch and let it power up first, then plug in the switch's cable.

There's some proprietary thing going on with ALVR reset switch from their IDU PoE so I'm not sure if alternative method will work.