All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
scoosdad
join:2007-04-28
Worcester, MA

scoosdad

Cancelling Vonage, port first then cancel?

I'm leaving Vonage soon and intend to establish phone service elsewhere first with a new number to test the new service before I make the final jump.

But when I do drop Vonage, what's the recommended order to follow: request the new carrier to port my Vonage number to them first, then when that's accomplished, inform Vonage that I'm cancelling, or cancel Vonage and then ask the new carrier to do the port?

I remember reading here awhile back when I wasn't considering the move that one was a bad way to do it and the other was better. Just can't find anything in a search that says one way or the other.

Thanks.
priller
join:2000-10-20
Gainesville, VA

2 edits

priller

Port first or you will not have a number to port.

Your Vonage account should be canceled automatically if you have ported out your primary number, be sure to check.

PA23
join:2001-12-12
East Hanover, NJ

PA23

Vonage DOES NOT automatically cancel your VoIP line when the number is ported away from them. You'll still be able to make outgoing calls but no incoming calls since you won't have a phone number associated with your device.

You must call vonage to cancel the service after the number has been ported.
priller
join:2000-10-20
Gainesville, VA

priller

said by PA23:

Vonage DOES NOT automatically cancel your VoIP line when the number is ported away from them.
Vonage Terms of Service

6.6 Number Transfer or "Port" on Service Disconnection.

(a) Single line Accounts. You may be able to take, or "port," your current number to another service provider. If you ask your new service provider to port a number from us, and we receive your request from the new service provider, we will terminate our service for that number upon successful completion of the port. Once your service is terminated and the port is completed, you will remain responsible for all charges and fees through the end of that billing cycle, including any cancellation fees. If a port is unsuccessful for any reason, your service and your agreement with us will not terminate, you will remain a Vonage customer, and you will continue to be responsible for all charges and fees associated with your Vonage service.
scoosdad
Worcester, MA

1 edit

scoosdad

said by priller:

If you ask your new service provider to port a number from us, and we receive your request from the new service provider, we will terminate our service for that number upon successful completion of the port. Once your service is terminated and the port is completed, you will remain responsible for all charges and fees through the end of that billing cycle, including any cancellation fees. If a port is unsuccessful for any reason, your service and your agreement with us will not terminate, you will remain a Vonage customer, and you will continue to be responsible for all charges and fees associated with your Vonage service.
Oh cool. Then I shouldn't have to deal with them in trying to cancel service if the port is successful and I'm paid up. Even better, thanks.

RockyBB
Premium Member
join:2005-01-31
Steamboat Springs, CO

RockyBB

Premium Member

they "will terminate service for that number" means they won't send you any incoming calls. it is silent about your ability to continue to make outgoing calls. DO NOT risk the heartache of continued billing -- call to cancel the account after the port completes. Be sure to write down all details of your call -- time and date, the rep's name and/or ID number, and ask for a confirmation number. If the Vonage service continues to work for outgoing calls the next day, then call back and do it again.
scoosdad
Worcester, MA

scoosdad

You're right. In a perfect world I shouldn't have to do that, but then again, this IS Vonage we're talking about.
ImBatman
join:2004-04-21
Lancaster, CA

ImBatman to scoosdad

to scoosdad
Firsthand experience, yesterday!
Vonage WILL NOT terminate your account unless you call to cancel!
If you have been with them less than one (or is it two years) they will seek to get you for at least a termination fee of $39.99, and equipment. Perhaps the slimes will also try to get you to pay the monthly fee for each month remaining in your "service agreement". Ive not gotten that far, but, NOTHING this company does will ever surprise me.
said by scoosdad:

said by priller:

If you ask your new service provider to port a number from us, and we receive your request from the new service provider, we will terminate our service for that number upon successful completion of the port. Once your service is terminated and the port is completed, you will remain responsible for all charges and fees through the end of that billing cycle, including any cancellation fees. If a port is unsuccessful for any reason, your service and your agreement with us will not terminate, you will remain a Vonage customer, and you will continue to be responsible for all charges and fees associated with your Vonage service.
Oh cool. Then I shouldn't have to deal with them in trying to cancel service if the port is successful and I'm paid up. Even better, thanks.