uniqs
vincent510
join:2008-10-09
Sunnyvale, CA

1 edit

vincent510

[Newsgroups] FYI - Newsgroup provider ratings

Hey,

If you're looking for an outside newsgroup provider in the wake of Comcast discontinuing their Usenet service, for what it's worth I found the following sites to be helpful when I was trying to compare different providers and account options...

newsadmin.com
anchordudes.com

Most of the big providers will offer some type of free trial access, and I would definitely recommend using the trials to see which services do & don't work for you.

Vince

Added the Newsgroups title tag. ~sorto'
BretNJ
join:2005-04-11
Franklin Park, NJ

BretNJ

Which one did you settle on? I've been using Newshosting for years with Optonline but since moving I had to switch to Comcast and my connection to Newshosting is flaky at best. I'm looking for a new one with a steady download.
vincent510
join:2008-10-09
Sunnyvale, CA

vincent510

Hey Bret,

I trialed a few, but for my purposes Newsguy was the best value by far. I got one of their 50GB accounts (about $8/month) and have been happy with the service (retention, completion, dload speeds). They're also giving Comcast people a free month of newsgroup access, which is cool.

Some of the other providers I tried had good services but were either missing features I wanted or overpriced in my opinion. Giganews for example charges $13/month for only 25GB of dload capacity, doesn't include SSL encryption, doesn't roll over unused GBs, etc.

Vince
SGR
Premium Member
join:2003-05-19
East Berlin, PA

1 edit

SGR to vincent510

Premium Member

to vincent510
Here's a couple good resources for selecting a reliable newsgroup provider:

»filesharer.info/nntp2.html
»www.newsgroupreviews.com ··· ers.html

I use Giganews mainly because I love the 240 day retention.

Apollo729
join:2006-08-28
Avis, PA

Apollo729 to vincent510

to vincent510
Been using powerusenet for ages;

»www.powerusenet.com/?i=Z ··· yXN2Z5k=

techlte
join:2003-01-01
US

techlte to vincent510

to vincent510
I've been with Powerusenet forever.. First of all they're a Giganews reseller so you know you're good. I'm all about their unlimited, SSL, 125 days of retention, and 12 lines for 19.99. You won't find a better deal online.

»www.powerusenet.com/?i=b ··· p8gKEb8=