Search similar:

uniqs
MTB
join:2007-06-29
Newport Beach, CA

1 edit

MTB

OpenSUSE audio streaming codec/plug-in/MMSH issues

I can use the windows media player option to play music with a graphical display at »www.jazzandblues.org/pro ··· /listen/

When I go to »kfog.com a browser opens up an asp page with a big red X on it.

It then produces an error "The playback of this movie requires a MMSH protocol source plugin which is not installed."

If I right click on the page and select "Open with Totem" I get a window 'Search for a suitable codec.

Downloading and installing the same codecs-genome.ymp several times did not help.

I also noticed that Ubuntu had the same issue, but worked after installing:
Gstreamer ffmpeg video Plug-in
Gstreamer extra Plug-ins
Gstreamer plugins for MMS

I could find and load the openSUSE ffmpeg but could not find the MMS plugin and was not sure about the other.

Does anybody know what is needed here??

Is there a better solution for audio and/or video?

Thanks

happylurk
@dsl.look.ca

happylurk

Anon

Just opened both streams flawlessly with xine-plugin for Firefox.

Make sure you have the win32codecs installed thru YaST.

Best thing is to go to Software Management in YaST, search on "codec" and add pretty much every conceivably useful codec pack up front.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to MTB

Premium Member

to MTB
Click for full size
SuSE (and many other distributions) do not ship support for "restricted formats." Until recently I too could not play streaming video/audio on websites, here are my observations:

1) Only the mplayer plugin works (VLC plugin did not work for me)
2) Your browser must be for the same architecture as the OS (If you try to install the 32-bit Mplayer plugin on 64-bit SuSE it will install but can not playback anything, I tried to switch the main Mplayer to 32-bit but that basically wanted to re-install all of KDE as 32-bit)

So in order to get everything working I used Mplayer & Mplayerplug-in from Packman, in addition to:

libxine1-w32dll "libxine decoding plugin using win32 dlls for native not supported formats"

w32codec-all "Win32 DLLs for decompression of AVI- and also Quicktime-movies. Contains the dlls from the "all" package."

libxine1 (*NOT* xine-lib, SuSE ship "xine-lib" without support for "restricted formats" libxine1 replace it) "xine is a video player with a graphical front-end that supports a large number of file formats (VCD and MPEG2, for example) using plug-ins. Several plug-ins are included. Others can be installed after xine installation. xine supports stereo sound using OSS and AC5.1 using Alsa."

First two of the above are i686-only, even on a 64-bit system this does not matter. I am not sure that all of these are needed, but if you install them you should be able to play almost all of the media files you can find.

What should work and be very easy is use the 1-click installer here: »opensuse-community.org/R ··· _Formats

I am not sure if it will install mplayer & mplayerplug-in, but if it does not it already sets up the repositories for you (which is very easy to manage with YaST2 anyways). You might encounter a conflict with xine-lib. If that is the case abort the 1-click install, open up YaST2 > Software Management, uninstall xine-lib and try the 1-click again.

With this configuration everything should work well. I opened the link you posted and it started playing in a few seconds. I also listen to the Sirius online radio which "requires Windows Media Player" without an issue. I use openSUSE 11.0 x86_64.
MTB
Newport Beach, CA

1 edit

MTB to happylurk

to happylurk
win32codec-all is installed. Running openSUSE 11.0 32 Gnome. Is KDE easier? I am trying Gnome for the first time and do miss a few KDE programs.

I have a little bit of a learning curve to sort out here and good overviews would be appreciated.

For the most part I believe that by default I am using gstreamer as opposed to xine. Can things like codecs be shared? Is xine preferred to gstreamer and/or can they co-exist?

I have been a little on the cautious side since I do not know the impact of installing a wrong codec or plug-in

Is there anything I should know about OSS vs ALISA

happylurk
@dsl.look.ca

happylurk

Anon

Basically I run KDE but when I install SuSE I opt for a "kitchen sink" install.

That is to say, I install libs for KDE and GNOME and when it comes to installing for multimedia I pretty much install everything I can find even remotely related to MP3's, win32codecs, libdvdcss and pretty much every single media player on the list.

My thinking is that HD space is cheap and installing almost everything usually means at least ONE program will work for whatever I happen to need at the time.

YaST is pretty good at juggling the dependencies and if necessary I can fine tune the setup later by removing anything that doesn't resolve or breaks in an update.

Linux is pretty robust and unless you are totally squeezed for disk space, having a half dozen media players for every occasion does a better job than trying to get a single one that does everything.

Some might call me a heretic, but this philosophy has served me well getting multimedia running under various incarnations of SuSE ever since version 8.0
MTB
Newport Beach, CA

MTB to joako

to joako
I will look at these suggestions.
said by joako :
What should work and be very easy is use the 1-click installer here: »opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats

You would think, but this could be the problem. I was led here several times and each time it downloaded the same package. The first attempt did not allow me to "apply" the changes until I tricked it by adding another program to load.

joako
Premium Member
/dev/null

joako to MTB

Premium Member

to MTB
said by MTB:

win32codec-all is installed. Running openSUSE 11.0 32 Gnome. Is KDE easier? I am trying Gnome for the first time and do miss a few KDE programs.
Personally I prefer KDE, but I've been playing with the SUSE Linux Enterprise betas, Beta 1 did not let me install KDE... GNOME isn't too bad, but it feels sluggish to me. I like the K-Menu, but that could just be due to years of conditioning on Windows. You can install the KDE programs and run them on GNOME fine (the only "issue" is that you must install some KDE libraries). You can also install KDE (3, or 4, or both) and select which one you want to use when you login (There is a "Session" menu)
For the most part I believe that by default I am using gstreamer as opposed to xine. Can things like codecs be shared? Is xine preferred to gstreamer and/or can they co-exist?
Yes they can co-exist. I am not even sure what is the difference! I think maybe some media players (Mplayer is a media player, not a codec) use xine and others gstreamer? Or it could be like ALSA vs OSS where most programs let you pick?
I have been a little on the cautious side since I do not know the impact of installing a wrong codec or plug-in
Generally, you should be fine. Like I said above installing mplayerplug-in from Packman repository should solve your issue. It could conflict if you have two plugins installed, but then just uninstall the other one (in firefox you can go to about:plugins to see what is installed.
Is there anything I should know about OSS vs ALISA
I don't know. I use the default, which I can't say with certainty what it is. But I do know ALSA and OSS are the sound subsystems between the sound card and the application, so this has nothing to do with your issue. I think in this case having both could create a conflict. Don't fix what ain't broke... if sound works in any application then you should not have to mess with this.
joako

joako to MTB

Premium Member

to MTB
said by MTB:

I will look at these suggestions.
said by joako :
What should work and be very easy is use the 1-click installer here: »opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats

You would think, but this could be the problem. I was led here several times and each time it downloaded the same package. The first attempt did not allow me to "apply" the changes until I tricked it by adding another program to load.
What is the exact message? You aren't the only one that has issues with it. Usually resolved by removing xine-lib before you run the 1-click installer.
MTB
Newport Beach, CA

MTB

The required software to play this file is not installed. You need to install suitable codecs to play media files. do you want to search for a codec that supports the selected file?

Cancel or OK

This leads to the »opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats where it downloads codecs-genome.ymp which may or may not allow you to press "APPLY" to load them from yast.
MTB

1 edit

MTB to joako

to joako
KDE, Java(install/conflict resolution), xine-lib(libxine conflict resolution), Packman Mplayer/Plugin, opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats +/- a few conflicts and codecs

Thanks for the clues
SilentMan
join:2002-07-15
New York, NY

SilentMan to MTB

to MTB
I'm running SUSE 11.0, did the one-click install then installed MPlayer. Now I'm able to watch DVDs using MPlayer, BUT when I try to watch a Windows Media stream, MPlayer shows up but does nothing. It doesn't play ASX files Anybody has an idea of what is happening?

joako
Premium Member
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

Make sure:

*libxine1-w32dll "libxine decoding plugin using win32 dlls for native not supported formats"

*w32codec-all "Win32 DLLs for decompression of AVI- and also Quicktime-movies. Contains the dlls from the "all" package."

Are installed.
SilentMan
New York, NY

SilentMan

Thank you for replying. The "one-click install" installed the libxine1 and w32codec-all, but did not install the libxine1-w32dll; it doesn't even show when I do a search in Yast. The packman repo doesn't have it; so where would I find it?
SUMware2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21

SUMware2

Premium Member

said by SilentMan:

Thank you for replying. The "one-click install" installed the libxine1 and w32codec-all, but did not install the libxine1-w32dll; it doesn't even show when I do a search in Yast. The packman repo doesn't have it; so where would I find it?
libxine1-codecs-1.1.15-44.pm.0 from Packman includes xineplug_decode_w32dll.so in '/usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.24/'
SilentMan
New York, NY

SilentMan

Yes, xineplug_decode_w32dll.so is there but mplayer doesn't do anything; it just shows up. Maybe I do really need libxine1-w32dll. I have googled this library and haven't found a place where I can download it. Does anybody know the package that contains this library and the repo where I can point Yast to?
SUMware2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21

4 edits

SUMware2

Premium Member

If the url you are trying to watch in MPlayer is "mms://blahblah" try changing it to "http://blahblah" and see if MPlayer itself can directly open the url.

MPlayer > Open > Play URL >

If you haven't tried opening the original URL directly in MPlayer then give that a shot, too.