Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MystBlade
Premium
join:2002-10-21
Lacey, WA

I would love this

My HD Comcast Box is bulky and is not very attractive. Intergrated with the TV would be fantastic!!! Sign me up, oh and take that rental fee out of my bill

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3

You don't think you're going to avoid a monthly fee per TV do you?

Satellite came out with the "purchase your own box" and still charged you $5.00 per room/box active. They bashed cable for years for what they ultimately did. (To be fair, cable based Sat for things and they too now do them)

The monthly charge will happen for a reason.. its going to cut down on fraud. With a -no charge- tv set on an A/O, people would share accounts with friends and neighbors. Funny, however, how a $5.00 fee will make people actually think twice about letting their neigbor get service on their bill even with a small fee.

What will happen is simple.. you'll get a mirror fee, and no longer rent their box. For some people this is great, for others, it will be a deal blocker or severely delay their desire to flip out $1500 for a new set.

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to MystBlade

said by MystBlade:

My HD Comcast Box is bulky and is not very attractive. Intergrated with the TV would be fantastic!!! Sign me up, oh and take that rental fee out of my bill
However, would you pay (at minimum) an additional $400 USD for it to go away? The new 42" tru2way 1080p plasma TV (TH-42PZ80Q) costs $400 more than the same TV without it (SRP vs. SRP) (TH-42PZ80U). (Source: Panasonic)

Further, two things must happen for tru2way to be deployed in your area:

1. ADS is a requirement. (The two markets that have deployed tru2way are ADS.)
2. 750 MHz, at minimum, is also a requirement.

The first one already has plenty of protestors (the screaming was pretty darn loud in Chicago).

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to MystBlade

said by MystBlade:

It'll just filter into some other BS fee. CABLE BILLS DO NOT GO DOWN!
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to PGHammer

I've never seen a protest of ADS. ADS is not analog reclamation, it is analog-digital simulcast. The screaming in Chicago was over the removal of all analog stations above 24 (25, can't remember). ADS is when a digital copy of an analog station is placed on the network so that digital only tuner STB's can be deployed (such as the Motorola 34xx series DVR instead of the 64xx series) which reduced cost and increases picture quality. I reread it, but I can not see where Tru2Way calls for support of digital only tuners.

1 ghz, at maximum, is the requirement (minimum for CE's). 750mhz minimum requirement may be areas the MSO will choose to upgrade, but is not part of the Tru2Way licensing, roll-out, or specifications listed at CableLabs. »www.opencable.com/specifications/