spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Stoic
@verizon.net

Stoic

Anon

This is nuts-FIOS Internet is sloooooooow

It's really only been in the last couple of weeks I've noticed my youtube vids loading really slow. So I got on speedtest.net to check the speed and got this

I've made two calls to FIOS Internet support and got the runaround both times. The last time I asked if they could check the speed and the guy told me he couldn't/was unable to do that. When I had Comcast, they could always check the line speed.

Really, up until just recently, I've been really happy with the service.

Oh, btw, when I go to speedtest.net the little yellow pyramid indicating my "home base" is located in Kansas City whereas I live in Ellicott City, Maryland.

I've told them this too and it didn't seem to make a difference.

I think I've got my setup is majorly misconfigured by Verizon and the techs I've been dealing with don't have a clue.

I'm about to drop it and go back to Comcast.
stoicjim
join:2008-10-16
Clearwater, FL

stoicjim

Oh, I should have mentioned I have the 20/5 service.
JohnA4
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA

2 edits

JohnA4

Premium Member

»[southeast] What's involved in switching back?

Register at this site, and post your issue in the »Verizon Direct You guys have twin problems

fiosphilly
@verizon.net

fiosphilly to Stoic

Anon

to Stoic
That's exactly the same problem I am having. I have 20M/5M and my download speed is less than 2M. I called Verizon twice and they couldn't fix it. I am about to drop Verizon Fios because of their incompetent customer service.

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

The problem, in my opinion, is not the customer support reps; it's something in their hardware and, given the number of people now experiencing problems, I think it's 'outside the house'.

mikepd
Discovery
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
New Port Richey, FL

mikepd to Stoic

Premium Member

to Stoic
You may be hitting a bottleneck outside of Verizon's network. Run a trace route and see where the problem is located as you may be dropping packets at some router at a particular point.
ossysprog
join:2007-11-20
Santa Fe Springs, CA

ossysprog

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Speedtest.net uses many different ISP for testing, there is no load balancing and its a complete crap shoot what you will get for reported performance. I doubt most of the speed test servers used can handle FIOS speeds with any accuracy

try a www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and select a location near you
JohnnyY
Premium Member
Redlands, CA

1 edit

JohnnyY

Premium Member

Count me in. I've had FIOS for two years now and since 10/4 I've been getting horrible download speed. Called tech support and a couple of trouble tickets were issued but I'm not even sure if the higher level tech even bother checking into it because everytime I called in I was told there's no updates. The following are the actual speed I'm getting:

XP SP3 ISO from Microsoft.com @ 68KB/Sec
Drivers from ati.com @ 85KB/Sec
JAVA from java.com @ 75KB/Sec
Acrobat reader from Adobe.com @ 80KB/Sec
Binary download from news.giganews.com @ 45KB/Sec

But strangely it's not across the board. I did manage to find a couple of download sites where I'm downloading at my max:

Drivers from Nvidia.com @ 2.3MB/Sec
Drivers from downloads.trendnet.com @ 2.3MB/Sec

I have the 20 down / 20 up plan by the way.

Update 10/18/08:
Downloading drivers from Nvidia.com is now at only about 30KB/Sec

I agreed totally with jvmorris that it must be something wrong within the Verizon network.

AmandaWalker
@verizon.net

AmandaWalker

Anon

Same here, in Reston, VA. 50/20 service, which has worked great since install on 9/29 until 10/17. Starting 10/17, upload speed is still 20, download speed is 0.3Mbps according to Verizon's own speed test (and is about what I'm getting from the rest of the Internet). Rebooted the router and ONT, no change.

For the first two weeks, I've been very impressed with FIOS, but this is pretty craptastic.

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Speedtest.net uses many different ISP for testing, there is no load balancing and its a complete crap shoot what you will get for reported performance. I doubt most of the speed test servers used can handle FIOS speeds with any accuracy

try a www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and select a location near you
Most of the speedtest.net servers are on gigabit and can easily handle FIOS speeds.

Stoic, speedtest.net is a good test site IMHO but it doesn't really give you any info for troubleshooting. Can you run a traceroute to ndt.dhspeedtest.com and go to »ndt.dhspeedtest.com and run a speed test there and paste the results as well as what you get by cliking "more details" and "statistics"?

I think that would help to see if the problem is on Verizon's end or not.

Heritageguy
@verizon.net

Heritageguy to AmandaWalker

Anon

to AmandaWalker

Re: This is nuts-FIOS Internet is sloooooooow - Router Down

I'm having the same problem. Very slow downloads to some locations and normal service to others for the past 3 days. Verizon support was clueless. I found and ran Internet Traffic Report (»www.internettrafficrepor ··· rica.htm) and found that there is a router down in Vienna, VA (mae-east.wenet.com). I'm guessing that any local or national traffic that normally uses that router from my location (near Vienna) is being rerouted and delayed.

As an example, any access north, west, and far south is normal speed. Any local access is delayed. For some reason upload speeds do not seem to be affected.

The site is currently showing router outages or slowdowns in Vienna VA, Wisconsin, and Colorado (Greenwood Village).
HerbW
join:2008-10-18
Herndon, VA

HerbW to houkouonchi

to houkouonchi

Re: This is nuts-FIOS Internet is sloooooooow

C:\>tracert ndt.dhspeedtest.com

Tracing route to ndt.dhspeedtest.com [208.97.141.21] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
2 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 96.231.199.1
3 3 ms 3 ms 2 ms G11-1-661.LCR-06.WASHDC.verizon-gni.net [130.81.104.180]
4 4 ms 3 ms 3 ms P15-3.LCR-01.PTLDOR.verizon-gni.net [130.81.28.146]
5 * 5 ms 5 ms 0.so-5-1-0.XT2.DCA5.ALTER.NET [152.63.36.213]
6 83 ms 79 ms 83 ms 0.so-6-0-0.XL2.LAX15.ALTER.NET [152.63.112.61]
7 82 ms 78 ms 82 ms POS7-0-0.GW3.LAX15.ALTER.NET [152.63.112.109]
8 80 ms 83 ms 80 ms internapGIGE-gw.customer.alter.net [157.130.236.110]
9 83 ms 79 ms 80 ms border20.po1-20g-bbnet1.lax.pnap.net [216.52.255.37]
10 140 ms 241 ms 166 ms newdream-8.border20.lax.pnap.net [216.52.220.146]
11 83 ms 79 ms 83 ms gameserver.houkouonchi.jp [208.97.141.21]

Trace complete.
phillyfios97
join:2008-10-15
Bryn Mawr, PA

phillyfios97 to Stoic

to Stoic
Anybody having this slow download speed issue resolved? Mine have not after more than a week and 3 calls to Verizon.

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

I think mine got resolved sometime on Sunday, but I won't be positive until I've had at least 24 hours during the week to test.

Whatever they did was outside the house and further out than the ONT. They haven't told me what the problem was or what was required to fix it.

Currently, checking Verizon e-mail using Outlook (with no incoming mail pending) takes about two seconds as compared to two minutes previously.

For the most part, videos are streaming smoothly again. Earlier, I would experience at least six pauses in the first minute of play. (And, no, this was not popular streaming videos; I immediately started testing with less popular, non-topical videos.)
heritageguy
Premium Member
Herndon, VA

1 edit

heritageguy

Premium Member

Mine seems to be fixed also. Must have happened after midnight on Sunday. E-mail and local access seem to be working at normal speeds. Speakeasy speeds from the DC server are back to normal for me.

Seems like the server down in Vienna that I reported previously had nothing to do with the problem. That server is still down.
JohnnyY
Premium Member
Redlands, CA

JohnnyY to Stoic

Premium Member

to Stoic
Man, you guys are lucky. My download is still crawling at about 90KB/Sec max since 10/04/08 if I'm lucky and webpages takes forever to load up completely. I think I'll call tech support again tomorrow and see if there's any update.

Hosehead
join:2005-01-26
Camp Hill, PA
Linksys EA9500

Hosehead to Stoic

to Stoic
I noticed that the DC server is slower than others lately. Wirelessly in my house this is DC:

On the Newark, DE site:

Clifton NJ:

I was recently upgraded from 15/2 to 20/5 and I have never had a problem here in Central PA...
HerbW
Herndon, VA

HerbW

My speed in the Herndon, VA area is back to normal again, after being very slow for about 4 days. Speedtest to Washington DC is 20 Mbps again (it was around 0.5 Mbps - but only for Washington, DC). Speedtest to other areas, such as Delaware, was normal during the slow down period. Just Washington DC was bad for whatever reason.
JohnnyY
Premium Member
Redlands, CA

JohnnyY

Premium Member

Below are my pathetic results from speedtest.net:

San Diego, CA

San Jose, CA

Los Angeles, CA
ProFiOSDude
Premium Member
join:2005-05-27
Chesapeake, VA

ProFiOSDude

Premium Member

Call the FSC and ask to see if your data connection was recently changed over to GIG-E. They may need to contact their Tier II to verify. If the changeover time frame is somewhat coincidental to when you started getting slow speeds, they may need to reboot their edge router in the middle of the night.

PFD

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler to JohnnyY

to JohnnyY
I have one 850 MHz, P-III machine that absolutely hates Flash based speed tests and gives me numbers similar to yours. It, however, does just fine on Java based tests.

On the myspeed Dulles server, I consistently get 14.7/1.9 on my 15/2 conection.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Heh. Try running that kind of speed test on a 500Mhz Pentium III laptop. I have one that handles 3Mbps DSL fine on flash tests, even speedtest.net, though has horrible ping and maxes out at 6Mbps (haven't found a big enough pipe to tweak it with).
JohnnyY
Premium Member
Redlands, CA

JohnnyY to Rattler

Premium Member

to Rattler
I'm not too fond of these speed test site anyway. Testing on the Phoenix, AZ server shows my speed are just fine.

However, as posted before, below are the real world download speed I'm getting:

XP SP3 ISO from Microsoft.com @ 68KB/Sec
Drivers from ati.com @ 85KB/Sec
JAVA from java.com @ 75KB/Sec
Acrobat reader from Adobe.com @ 80KB/Sec
Binary download from news.giganews.com @ 45KB/Sec

But strangely it's not across the board. The download speed of the two following site are just as perfect as before this mess happened:

Drivers from Nvidia.com @ 2.3MB/Sec
Drivers from downloads.trendnet.com @ 2.3MB/Sec

I'm going to call tech support again and do what ProFiOSDude has suggested. I'm running out of options here and it's making me very irritated.
JohnnyY

1 edit

JohnnyY

Premium Member

Just got off the phone with the tech support and they again suggested it could be my computer. I told them I have three computers and all have the same results. I even put together a 4th one using my spare parts and install XP on it because a week or so earlier one of the other tech support told me it's because I'm using VISTA and it doesn't support FIOS optimizer (I didn't want to argue with him). And how do you explain the same computer can download files @ only 80KB/Sec from Adobe.com while @ 2.3MB/Sec from Nvidia.com?

Anyway, a higher level tech check my line again and told her there is nothing wrong with it. So she then asked me to bypass the router and connect my PC to the ONT directly and see if that changes anything. If not, she said it could be the ONT and she'll have someone coming over to replace it. Well, what the heck, I'll do that when I get home tonight (at work right now) and try it. But for some reason I just don't think the ONT is the problem. I mean if it is, it should be slow across the board but I'm getting great download speed from a couple of websites and speed testing servers. I hope I'm wrong.

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

They can reset and test the ONT from Tech Support; did it for me last Friday. The problem is most likely outside your house and your local people don't know how to find and fix it or can't be bothered.

When the problem here was corrected, they'd never entered the house and they were sure that it had been corrected, because they called and informed me.
dentatus
join:2008-10-19
Ambler, PA

dentatus

I have had the same exact issue for the past few weeks. Tech had me directly connect my computer to the ONT with the same results. My local speed test at speedtest.net says I am getting the full 20/20, but anything a distance away crawls. Must be something outside of the house, as it happens on both my Mac and PC. YouTube videos are very choppy, and downloads crawl whereas a few weeks ago I was at full speed.

I have posted in the VZW direct forum...and am waiting to hear a reply from them. Needless to say, it is very frustrating!

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

Well, you've got all the symptoms.

Someone knows what's involved in solving it; it would be nice if they spread the word around.
JohnnyY
Premium Member
Redlands, CA

2 edits

JohnnyY

Premium Member

Went home and connected my box directly to the ONT and guess what? Nothing changed, download is still slowwwwwwww.

I didn't want to wait until tomorrow so I call tech support again and invited the tech guy to do whatever tests he wished to do on my computer remotely. So he ran a whole bunch of tests, (feels like deja vu all over again), and said definitely there's something wrong somewhere in the network and he'll issue a trouble ticket. I told him I've heard that line at least three times already. He said don't worry because He had taken down a lot of notes and that someone will give me a call tomorrow. And he added that there's nothing wrong with the ONT. I then asked him to put in his notes that "there is nothing wrong with my computer" so that whoever I'll be talking to next time won't be making that suggestion again.

So again I will find out tomorrow if it'll get fix and if someone will actually call.

Hey dentatus, is your upload speed just as bad? All of my testing showed that for whatever reason my upload is not affected, no matter where I'm doing the speed test at, all came out pretty decent.
LUCC6
join:2008-10-21
Trenton, NJ

LUCC6 to Stoic

to Stoic
I am having the same issues as described in this thread. On Saturday 10/18 I noticed everything was downloading extremely slow. It felt like I was back on dial-up. I ran a speed test and the speeds were 1.5mb down and 4.5mb up. I have the 20mb down and 5mb up FiOS service. I called and FiOS tech support told me to contact Microsoft because it is probably an issue with SP3. I then backed out the SP3 update and I am having the same problem. I was actually going to reinstall XP but after seeing this thread I strongly believe it's an issue with FiOS.
I live in central NJ, zip is 08619.