how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tullysdad

join:2007-06-11
Saint Louis, MO

Trying to return equipment after cancel NIGHTMARE

I had a Uverse install of TV and internet at the end of May. The install was a complete disaster due to nationwide U-verse outage that affected installs. After 9 or so hours tech left with only 1 of 4 TV's working. I decided at that point to cancel the TV portion as I am unwilling to accept the potential unreliability of the Uverse service. I called ATT that evening and told them to cancel the TV portion of the service only, but keep the Uverse DSL active. Well guess what, they canceled both TV and internet services. After countless hours on the phone with ATT and after about a week with no internet, they finally sent someone out to reconnect my standard DSL service.

Now on to the equipment return. When I called to cancel I was promised that they would send boxes out for me to ship the equipment back to them. Needless to say, they never came. I've called them 5 or 6 more times about this as I really want this stuff out of my house and every time they promise to send the boxes and they never come.

Well, today I get a follow up message on my answering machine from an Eric at ATT Uverse telling me that the equipment was never installed in their system and that I can "disregard" the equipment and I would not be charged for it. I interpret this to mean I can throw several hundred dollars of equipment away. When I called back to ATT Uverse to confirm this the rep literally laughed when I told him what this message said. But of course, he could not look at my case/account to confirm the message because his "system was down" and I should call back on Monday.

Have any of you heard anything like this before?

If indeed I can throw this equipment away, is there a market for any of it on Ebay or Craigslist? I don't imagine the set top boxes would be resellable but how about the 2 wire router or a network switch that I still have?

If I can't sell it, does anyone in the St. Louis area want any of this crap?

Thanks for reading my rant.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Mediacom

If I were you I would definitely not sell it. It is not your property, and they could theoretically come back and charge you big bucks for not returning it.

What I would do is (a) pack it all up in a box and stick it in the attic or other convenient spot and (b) write a letter detailing the boxes you have with serial numbers, and the fact that you called several times to return them, and mail it certified receipt requested. Keep copies in your file.

The letter is for you to defend yourself if they come after you for not returning them "on time".

walta

join:2001-05-22
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:2
reply to tullysdad

If it were me I would hold on to the equipment for at least 6 months. If you logged in to the internet you agreed to the term of service. If you don’t get it returned within 21 day they can add it to your bill at any price they feel is fair. If for any reason you can prove you have returned the equipment within 6 months you bought it at ATTs asking price. If you get to the point of throwing it away let me know and I will take some of it.

1. Upon termination of your Service, for whatever reason, you must return all U-verse Equipment, undamaged, within twenty one (21) calendar days to AT&T. If it is not returned within twenty one (21) calendar days, or is returned damaged, you will be charged for the value of the U-verse Equipment. We may retain any advance payment or deposit, or portion thereof that previously had not been refunded, if you fail to return the U-verse Equipment within this time period. If all U-verse Equipment is returned within six (6) months of termination, any fees charged for such U-verse Equipment will be refunded (other than fees for damages). No refunds will be made for U-verse Equipment returned after six (6) months from termination.

Walta