All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Seaboogers
join:2004-11-01
Sarasota, FL

Seaboogers

11 GHz licensed Radio Recomemmdations....

I'm looking for recommendations for radios in the 11 GHz licensed range...that can push at least 200 MBps. (Prefer full duplex)

The link's won't be terribly long...longest being just shy of 10 miles. Most average around the 6 mile mark.

Throw anything at me that you can think of!

Thanks!
EMC_guy
join:2007-10-13
Sharbot Lake, ON

EMC_guy

For 100Mbps full-duplex, you could consider Ceragon and Dragonwave. Dragonwave also has higher throughput models, but I think only a few 38Ghz license holders have access to the required channel bandwidth to reach 200MB/s (800Mbps) full-duplex!!!
Believer
join:2002-07-04
Baltimore, MD

Believer

Trango's Giga line will do 240Mbps full duplex.
Seaboogers
join:2004-11-01
Sarasota, FL

Seaboogers to EMC_guy

to EMC_guy
said by EMC_guy:

For 100Mbps full-duplex, you could consider Ceragon and Dragonwave. Dragonwave also has higher throughput models, but I think only a few 38Ghz license holders have access to the required channel bandwidth to reach 200MB/s (800Mbps) full-duplex!!!
Ceragon and Dragonwave are serious $$$$...I'm looking for something a little more cost effective.
Seaboogers

Seaboogers to Believer

to Believer
said by Believer:

Do you have any experience with these radios...and more to the point...experience with Trango (The company) itself?
Believer
Baltimore, MD

Believer

The Giga line is fine. I heard the 18GHz Apex line was just recalled though.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

1 edit

viperm

Premium Member

We are getting ready to deploy our first Trango Giga 18 PTP link in the next couple weeks. We have used Dragon wave in the past but for 12K with liceneing for 600 Meg full duplex we could not pass up the Trango deal.

Thats less then half what Dragonwave would have cost us..

Whats the difference between the giga18 and the APEX 18??
Believer
Baltimore, MD

Believer

Giga is IDU/ODU, Apex is an all-in-one unit. Giga uses coax, Apex uses fiber. Apex has better auto modulation and better receive sensitivity. Apex also has more capacity. The Giga 18GHz will do 310Mbps full duplex, the Apex will do 366Mbps full duplex.
cmaenginsb1
Premium Member
join:2001-03-19
Palmdale, CA

cmaenginsb1 to Seaboogers

Premium Member

to Seaboogers
said by Seaboogers:

said by Believer:

Do you have any experience with these radios...and more to the point...experience with Trango (The company) itself?
Trango the company? That opens up a huge can of worms with me. There is a reason I have no Trangos on my network and that reason has little to do with the radios themselves but the company.

Now things might have changed but once you seriously wrong me, I generally will not look at your product again. Many here have had good experiences here, mine have not been, primarily in terms of support. When you tell them you have 15 bad radios all tested from the same fixed dish originally aligned with a known good radio, they wanted to send someone to show us how to install the radio. This is despite having over 300 radios deployed, also with no problems.

Support treated us like idiots and flat out lied to us about problems with different versions of firmware. From posts I read here, they continued to do the same afterwards.

They tend to be schizophrenic with their product offerings, abandoning a product with little warning just after releasing it and offering you a different "better" product that in the real world performs worse. They did the same with another product recently that was going to be the high capacity replacement for their current 5 ghz workhorse system. After hyping the new product for a couple of months, the hype ceased along with progress and now their is hype for a new replacement.

As I said my experience is a little older but none of senior management has changed so I doubt their way of thinking has changed much either.
j2sw
join:2006-05-02
Williamsport, IN

j2sw to Seaboogers

to Seaboogers
The Trango equipment is very good.
sarpkaya
join:2008-03-04
Izmir, TR

sarpkaya to Seaboogers

to Seaboogers
apex is cheap(Something like 8000$)
wolfcreek
join:2003-12-02
Pagosa Springs, CO

wolfcreek to Seaboogers

to Seaboogers
The trango 11 and 18 ghz work quite well and are very cost effective. They have some units without IDUs that are even cheaper. Had several of these radios up a year with no issues
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck to Seaboogers

Premium Member

to Seaboogers
I've been spending more time in this portion of the band as of late.....

Try the following:
Alcatel-Lucent
NERA
Exalt
Harris-Stratex
Airnode
join:2006-09-01
Germany

Airnode

said by Hahausuck:

I've been spending more time in this portion of the band as of late.....

Try the following:
Alcatel-Lucent
NERA
Exalt
Harris-Stratex
ericcson mini-link and if it have to be absolutly on 11ghz
try FibeAir-1500HP they go up tu 200/Mbits

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
Winchester, CA

viperm to Seaboogers

Premium Member

to Seaboogers
Just a follow up on this link we finally got it up and runnign last week and its been flawless ever since, 312megs full duplex for a total agg rate of 600+ megs

We have not seen any hicups on it and hopefully never will!

Its great to have a nice big pipe to push out to our main pop feeding other sites with PTP 45 meg trango atlas and link 45 units.

Right now are next pinch in the network is the fiber to eth convertors are only 100 meg feeding from our main building to where the licensed link begins so we are capped at 100 meg till we change htous out to gig convertors. I think it s single mode fiber I would have to check again any recomendations for something reasonably priced?

Thanks

FYI we are getting -40 on each end and were specced at gettign -36 or so based on path calcs..

2 Ft dishes going about 2.5 miles

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Just to clarify -- this is a Trango Giga 18.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
Winchester, CA

1 edit

viperm

Premium Member

Yes a trango Giga 18 we just had torential rains here in Socal and this thing did not hicup once.
In fact our whole network was more stable then I have ever seen it we dont see missed pings anymore on sites etc.

We only have one tower down to I think power issue I will have to run out and take a look at this morning..

Still stayed at -40 Rssi
sarpkaya
Izmir, TR

sarpkaya to Seaboogers

to Seaboogers
can you also tell latency?

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
Winchester, CA

viperm to Seaboogers

Premium Member

to Seaboogers
0 ms 56k bytes going 2 miles
1 ms 1024k bytes
Hahausuck
Premium Member

Hahausuck

Premium Member

Typical latency on licensed microwave is measured in microseconds.
sarpkaya
Izmir, TR

1 edit

sarpkaya

yeah like Trango's website it says 150 µS (.15 ms)

but he said 0 ms which cannot be happen in reality(unless you stop the time)
Hahausuck
Premium Member

Hahausuck

Premium Member

said by sarpkaya:

yeah like Trango's website it says 150 µS (.15 ms)

but he said 0 ms which cannot be happen in reality(unless you stop the time)
Correct, but the computer itself cannot recognize anything lower than milliseconds, or ms. In reality, it is microseconds.

I'd be interested to see how the link performs when it is under a real load. A test like a T-1 loopback BER test would be nice to see.
sarpkaya
Izmir, TR

1 edit

sarpkaya

you can test it easily with linux. it has ability to realize 0.15 ms(150 µS) simply there are live cd on linux, just insert the cd OS opens and available to use, you can use ubuntu for example. Don't forget to subtract difference like, if you can ping to device which you connected directly to computer says 0.0152 ms and device that is connected via RF says 0.1152 ms than the real ping time is 0.1 ms (100 microseconds)
Also how performing is another good test. I haven't had any Trango Apex or gigalink, but in mikrotik, if you limit your connection like if it can push 55 mbps, limiting to 54 mbps will make you to have nice ping. But your question is different than what I tested.
wolfcreek
join:2003-12-02
Pagosa Springs, CO

1 edit

wolfcreek to Seaboogers

to Seaboogers
Have three hops consisting of 1 11 ghz 1 18 ghz hops and 1 6 ghz hop.
6ghz hops is about 38 miles. 11 ghz hop is 9 miles and 18 ghz hop is 5 miles.

The ping time across thes three hops is 1 ms to less than 1ms on a windows machine. this is with steady 20 to 50 mbit traffic on the system. 11 ghz hops are trango 6 ghz hop is Cerragon.