All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Believer
join:2002-07-04
Baltimore, MD

Believer to EMC_guy

to EMC_guy

Re: 11 GHz licensed Radio Recomemmdations....

Trango's Giga line will do 240Mbps full duplex.
Seaboogers
join:2004-11-01
Sarasota, FL

Seaboogers

said by Believer:

Do you have any experience with these radios...and more to the point...experience with Trango (The company) itself?
Believer
Baltimore, MD

Believer

The Giga line is fine. I heard the 18GHz Apex line was just recalled though.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

1 edit

viperm

Premium Member

We are getting ready to deploy our first Trango Giga 18 PTP link in the next couple weeks. We have used Dragon wave in the past but for 12K with liceneing for 600 Meg full duplex we could not pass up the Trango deal.

Thats less then half what Dragonwave would have cost us..

Whats the difference between the giga18 and the APEX 18??
Believer
Baltimore, MD

Believer

Giga is IDU/ODU, Apex is an all-in-one unit. Giga uses coax, Apex uses fiber. Apex has better auto modulation and better receive sensitivity. Apex also has more capacity. The Giga 18GHz will do 310Mbps full duplex, the Apex will do 366Mbps full duplex.
cmaenginsb1
Premium Member
join:2001-03-19
Palmdale, CA

cmaenginsb1 to Seaboogers

Premium Member

to Seaboogers
said by Seaboogers:

said by Believer:

Do you have any experience with these radios...and more to the point...experience with Trango (The company) itself?
Trango the company? That opens up a huge can of worms with me. There is a reason I have no Trangos on my network and that reason has little to do with the radios themselves but the company.

Now things might have changed but once you seriously wrong me, I generally will not look at your product again. Many here have had good experiences here, mine have not been, primarily in terms of support. When you tell them you have 15 bad radios all tested from the same fixed dish originally aligned with a known good radio, they wanted to send someone to show us how to install the radio. This is despite having over 300 radios deployed, also with no problems.

Support treated us like idiots and flat out lied to us about problems with different versions of firmware. From posts I read here, they continued to do the same afterwards.

They tend to be schizophrenic with their product offerings, abandoning a product with little warning just after releasing it and offering you a different "better" product that in the real world performs worse. They did the same with another product recently that was going to be the high capacity replacement for their current 5 ghz workhorse system. After hyping the new product for a couple of months, the hype ceased along with progress and now their is hype for a new replacement.

As I said my experience is a little older but none of senior management has changed so I doubt their way of thinking has changed much either.