Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mnmark
Go Johnnies
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Saint Paul, MN

1 edit
reply to sortofageek

DOCSIS 3.0 Available in Saint Paul MN

I successfully ordered by 22/5 service yesterday, for the Twin Cities market (I'm in Saint Paul proper, 1mi from their HQ).

What appears to have come out today: DOCSIS 3 modems are not available at the service centers. I was told that yesterday when I stopped in to pick mine up (sales indicated that yesterday when I upgraded service), and when I called to talk to them today, they confirmed that an internal email has went out, stating that the upgrades in my area require a tech come out, and that the modem wasn't available for customer install. That should, however, change in a few weeks.

They did want to charge for a truck roll, but when I told them I wanted to install myself and would if I had the option, they waived the fee.
--
I like things.

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
said by mnmark:

I successfully ordered by 22/5 service yesterday, for the Twin Cities market (I'm in Saint Paul proper, 1mi from their HQ).

What appears to have come out today: DOCSIS 3 modems are not available at the service centers. I was told that yesterday when I stopped in to pick mine up (sales indicated that yesterday when I upgraded service), and when I called to talk to them today, they confirmed that an internal email has went out, stating that the upgrades in my area require a tech come out, and that the modem wasn't available for customer install. That should, however, change in a few weeks.

They did want to charge for a truck roll, but when I told them I wanted to install myself and would if I had the option, they waived the fee.
I'm in St. Paul as well. I currently have 6/1. I wonder if I've been upgraded to 12/2.
--
»Celestia-this is a REALLY COOL program!!!

fonzbear2000
Premium
Saint Paul, MN

1 edit
OMG!!! I just powercycled my modem and got over 6500kbps on an upload test!!! Normally, I never get above 2000kbs!!! What's strange is that I didn't get above 6000kbps for download and I normally get around 9000kbps. that was at speedtest.net. I just went to speakeasy and got better on the download and over 8000kbps on the upload!!! WOW!!!
--

mnmark
Go Johnnies
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Saint Paul, MN
reply to fonzbear2000
I'm in St. Paul as well. I currently have 6/1. I wonder if I've been upgraded to 12/2.
I'm trying to find a decent speed test result I can post that doesn't account for the boost, but with it, I'm happy

--
I like things.

fonzbear2000
Premium
Saint Paul, MN

4 edits
reply to fonzbear2000
I'm uploading a 216MB video and it's up to 42MB so far and the speed is staying ABOVE 255 KB/sec!!!!!

Up to 65MB and steady at 265 KB/sec!!! WOW!!!

--

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN
said by fonzbear2000:

I'm uploading a 216MB video and it's up to 42MB so far and the speed is staying ABOVE 255 KB/sec!!!!!

Up to 65MB and steady at 265 KB/sec!!! WOW!!!

What does 2meg upload count to for speed? I thought it was like 185 kb/sec?

K3

join:2008-05-06
Kankakee, IL
2.2Mb actually and it works out to 275KB/s

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to ztmike

2mbps

2.2mbps

said by ztmike:

»/calculator
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN

1 edit
reply to K3
said by K3:

2.2Mb actually and it works out to 275KB/s
Guess I don't have the increased speeds then..

Is there any site that I can test my upload speed to? p2p is well..you know.

However I just tried using p2p and noticed the upload speed went up to around 412 kb/sec DAMN you powerboost!

rammjet

join:2003-08-27
West Palm Beach, FL
said by ztmike:

However I just tried using p2p and noticed the upload speed went up to around 412 kb/sec DAMN you powerboost!

From »www.comcast.net/powerboost (in the fine print):
...PowerBoost provides a burst of download and upload speed above the customer's provisioned download and upload speeds for the first 10 MB and 5 MB of a file respectively. It then reverts to your provisioned speed for the remainder of the download or upload.

10/5 MB is nothing.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to dadkins
said by dadkins:

said by ztmike:

»/calculator
Sorry but that calc is wrong it doesn't take into account the 1024 instead of 1000
2Mbits/sec=256Kbytes/Sec or 2048Kbits/sec

so if you have 2.2Mbit upload you can upload at up to 281.6Kbytes
8bits=1byte
1024Bytes=1Kbyte
1024Kbytes=1Mbyte
1024Mbytes=1Gbyte

and if you can download a file at 3Mbytes/sec that is 24Mbit/sec

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

1 edit

Here... Better?
Never said it was... but it's relatively close.
It's here(talk to Justin about it's accuracy).

Plus, data transmission is usually not measured in KB, but in kb - there is the discrepancy.

»www.matisse.net/bitcalc/
Set it however you want it...
--

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to rammjet
said by rammjet:

...PowerBoost provides a burst of download and upload speed above the customer's provisioned download and upload speeds for the first 10 MB and 5 MB of a file respectively. It then reverts to your provisioned speed for the remainder of the download or upload.

10/5 MB is nothing.
Actual testing of the Powerboost thresholds will show that those numbers are quite incorrect. I believe the real numbers are 40MB/20MB.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA
said by espaeth:

Actual testing of the Powerboost thresholds will show that those numbers are quite incorrect. I believe the real numbers are 40MB/20MB.
Correct! I get those first 40MB pretty fast too!

Upload PB for 20MB is also quite nice!
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to dadkins
said by dadkins:

Never said it was... but it's relatively close.
It's here(talk to Justin about it's accuracy).

Plus, data transmission is usually not measured in KB, but in kb - there is the discrepancy.

»www.matisse.net/bitcalc/
Set it however you want it...
Ya normaly comm speeds are measured in Kbits/Mbits but many web browsers show Kbytes/Mbytes

2.2Mibt=2.2*1024*1024=bits=2,306,867.2
some people out there have been confused by the 1000/1024
and the 1byte/8bits and its all to common to hear someone complane about not getting 2.2Mbyte when their paying for 2.2mbit

(there is a reason for comm speeds to be in bits but it doesn't matter to most)

siegler

join:2006-08-11
Stillwater, MN
reply to fonzbear2000
said by fonzbear2000:

I'm supposed to be 12/2 also I guess, but my upload speeds haven't changed.