spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Heymistergq
@wideopenwest.com

Heymistergq

Anon

the infamous black screen... =(

Hi, i came back from class one night and happened to notice that my HP pavilion dv6000 laptop(vista 64bit) was still running while the lid was closed(it's set to when the lid closes, then the laptop should sleep and as i open the lid, it turns on). Coming home to find that its still on while the lid was closed was wierd but as i turn it on, The screen stays black, Everything is running(i tried taking out the battery, opening my cd-drive to see if it still works and it does, and strangely my SD memory slot light is on but nothing is in it.. WIERD!), fans are running, EVERYTHING is running except for my screen. Any help or input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a TON!

heymistergq
@wideopenwest.com

heymistergq

Anon

Forgot one more thing.

My laptop shuts off every 5-10 seconds and turns right back on and repeats itself... I'm soo stomped!
deleteme51
join:2002-04-22
Chicago, IL

deleteme51

unplug any and all USB devices - remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter - let it sit for at least 5min. to come to room temperature

then attach battery, AC power, and turn it on - see if it happens again

Geronimo5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Newark, DE

3 edits

Geronimo5 to Heymistergq

Premium Member

to Heymistergq
Sounds like its over heating.... maybe.

When it restarts is the screen always black? any bios info at post?

I have seen a rash of dead HP laptop motherboards in our repair shop lately. right now I have a DV1000 and DV6000 with dead mobos.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

1 recommendation

captokita to Heymistergq

Premium Member

to Heymistergq
This link should be a sticky here.

»h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf ··· 01087277

Call HP and have them fix it. Common problem with the DV6000 series. There is a BIOS update to help regulate the fan better, so I'm guessing it's a heat issue with these things that's burning them out.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

Excellent catch, captokita!

Yes, unfortunately, this is not a rare occurence with certain versions of the dv2000/6000/9000 series, but a well-documented problem.

The problem is, at this point you will not be able to flash the bios, and even if you could, it is too late, the damage is done.

Check with the url captokita supplied, and see if your model is one of those that they extended the warranty on.

As a rule of thoumb, however: If you are in the habit of letting your notebook go into sleep or hibernation mode by closing the lid while still running, take at least enough time before moving on, to make sure that your laptop enters that state! After all, as with any other shutdown, there can be an open process, or something in the background running that does not shut down properly, that can keep the machine from entereing sleep mode, and with the lid down, there can be a build up of heat.

Although the HP dv6000 (certain models, not all of them) are prone to having this issue when overheating at all, any notebook can be borked when the lid is closed but it does not shut down.

yuutomo
The Wonder Kitter
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Seeley Lake, MT

yuutomo to Heymistergq

Premium Member

to Heymistergq
overheat damage to the motherboard, and lcd.

Heymistergq
@wideopenwest.com

Heymistergq to Heymistergq

Anon

to Heymistergq
Thank you guys all for the help. Captokita, i followed the website you linked, and called the Number they gave out. It just so happened that my 1 year warranty for my laptop has expired, and The Hp representative told me i will not be able to get a free repair but i must pay 50 dollars for a "out of warranty" to ship it in to HP and i will also have to pay the additional fee of what the repair will cost(ranging from $299-$400). Why do i feel like i am getting scammed.

Side note* The HP representative also told me that my motherboard on my system was not covered, that is also why i will not get a free repair, Funny thing is, My laptop falls right under all the symptoms for the DV6000 series laptop. Any HP techs out there that can help?

heymistergq
@wideopenwest.com

heymistergq to PeteC2

Anon

to PeteC2
PeteC2, Thanks for your input. Sadly it is too late for my laptop, the DAMAGE is done! I guess HP just lost one of there customers and APPLE will gain one! =D again thanks all for replying.
heymistergq

heymistergq to Geronimo5

Anon

to Geronimo5
Geronimo, I can't even retrieve any bios info. A black screen is all i get along with its constant restarting every 20 seconds.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to heymistergq

MVM

to heymistergq
said by heymistergq :

PeteC2, Thanks for your input. Sadly it is too late for my laptop, the DAMAGE is done! I guess HP just lost one of there customers and APPLE will gain one! =D again thanks all for replying.
Sorry that it happened to you...

I do want to say though, and not a blind "defense" of HP, I have seen a number of notebooks, different brands, not just HP, that have been damaged due to assuming that they would successfully enter sleep/hibernation mode when the screen was closed. Remember, it only takes one process running that for some reason refuses to shut down, to cause this to happen! I always have to remind myself not to walk away when putting my lappy into sleep mode by closing it...I have a tendency to assume that it will shut right down (99% of the time, it does,, after all!)

On the HPs, it very well may be the solder on the northbridge, which is a BGA connection, that can often be corrected by re-flowing. If you know someone who is technically proficient, you may well be able to have your notebook fixed without the expense of a new motherboard. Just a thought...

I've got to admit, on a dv6000 series, which after all is a $600-$800 range lappy, a $300-$400+ repair is hard to stomach!

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

1 recommendation

captokita to Heymistergq

Premium Member

to Heymistergq
said by Heymistergq :

Thank you guys all for the help. Captokita, i followed the website you linked, and called the Number they gave out. It just so happened that my 1 year warranty for my laptop has expired, and The Hp representative told me i will not be able to get a free repair but i must pay 50 dollars for a "out of warranty" to ship it in to HP and i will also have to pay the additional fee of what the repair will cost(ranging from $299-$400). Why do i feel like i am getting scammed.
Bull to that. Do NOT take no for an answer. Escalate the call to someone that will honor the "EXTENDED WARRANTY" that applies to this very issue. There's a reason these things are breaking, and there's a reason HP is fixing them with extended coverage. (2 years) From the site linked above:

This service enhancement program is available in North America for 24 months after the start of your original standard limited warranty for issues listed below; otherwise your current standard limited warranty applies. Customers who already have a 24 month or longer warranty period will be covered under their existing standard HP Limited Warranty.

Call them back and get them to take care of it. Escalate it to whomever you need to, but be nice about it, but firm.

heymistergq
@comcast.net

heymistergq to PeteC2

Anon

to PeteC2
said by PeteC2:

said by heymistergq :

Sorry that it happened to you...

I do want to say though, and not a blind "defense" of HP, I have seen a number of notebooks, different brands, not just HP, that have been damaged due to assuming that they would successfully enter sleep/hibernation mode when the screen was closed. Remember, it only takes one process running that for some reason refuses to shut down, to cause this to happen! I always have to remind myself not to walk away when putting my lappy into sleep mode by closing it...I have a tendency to assume that it will shut right down (99% of the time, it does,, after all!)

On the HPs, it very well may be the solder on the northbridge, which is a BGA connection, that can often be corrected by re-flowing. If you know someone who is technically proficient, you may well be able to have your notebook fixed without the expense of a new motherboard. Just a thought...

I've got to admit, on a dv6000 series, which after all is a $600-$800 range lappy, a $300-$400+ repair is hard to stomach!
Petec2, thanks for the info. Now that my lesson has been learned, i will be much more careful in the future. Again thanks for inputs.

I wish i knew someone who could work with laptops, all the computer people i know only plays with desktops. urgh.

300-400 dollar is very pricey, and i would much rather use that money to buy a new laptop.
heymistergq

heymistergq to captokita

Anon

to captokita
Bull to that. Do NOT take no for an answer. Escalate the call to someone that will honor the "EXTENDED WARRANTY" that applies to this very issue. There's a reason these things are breaking, and there's a reason HP is fixing them with extended coverage. (2 years) From the site linked above:

This service enhancement program is available in North America for 24 months after the start of your original standard limited warranty for issues listed below; otherwise your current standard limited warranty applies. Customers who already have a 24 month or longer warranty period will be covered under their existing standard HP Limited Warranty.

Call them back and get them to take care of it. Escalate it to whomever you need to, but be nice about it, but firm.

It is bull. Here's the situation. The website you gave me has all the product numbers on it right for the extended enhancement, well my product number RP158AU is located in the DV62** series, and yet everytime i go to tell the representatives that my number is in it, they just tell me that Their(HP) has all the info and my laptop is not one of them. I just don't understand, on a side note, my 1 year warranty is over. But as i understand it, whether or not the warranty is over, they will still fix it, right?

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by heymistergq :

It is bull. Here's the situation. The website you gave me has all the product numbers on it right for the extended enhancement, well my product number RP158AU is located in the DV62** series, and yet everytime i go to tell the representatives that my number is in it, they just tell me that Their(HP) has all the info and my laptop is not one of them. I just don't understand, on a side note, my 1 year warranty is over. But as i understand it, whether or not the warranty is over, they will still fix it, right?
Sure, they will fix it regardless, but of course, they are saying that you will have to pay for it.

I agree with captokita, if your model indeed is one of those listed, I absolutely would fight this, heymistergq!

Like many big companies, sometimes you just have to keep "dialing" until you get to someone who is responsive! As long as you are still within the "extended" 24 month period, why not?

I know it is maddening, and it should not be so convoluted, but unfortunately, this type of situation is not rare, throughout the industry. you will see many similar issues with most, if not all of the computer company's tech support systems. Sometimes, you have to be real persistent to get the right results.

P.S. Like I said, please do not misconstrue what I said about making sure the lappy goes into the sleep mode before walking away! How do you think I learned that lesson?

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita to heymistergq

Premium Member

to heymistergq
said by heymistergq :

Well, from HP's POV (which is wrong, obviously) they want to get away from doing anything "for free" so they are gonna give you the run around hoping you get sick of it and give up. As I said, I would call, and ask to speak to a supervisor, or SOMEONE that can help you. You KNOW this machine is under this warranty, you KNOW what you're talking about.

I'm sure this is why Dell (and all the companies for that matter) Home's support sucks so bad - people get fed up and say screw it and bring it to a repair shop than deal with the bull to get it fixed under warranty.

Like I said, keep at it. Be POLITE of course, but be firm about not taking no for an answer.

heymistergq
@wideopenwest.com

heymistergq to Heymistergq

Anon

to Heymistergq
I'm about ready to give up on my laptop. HP refuses to take care of this issue because my warranty is done along with the 24 month warranty they give, its ridiculous because i find it pointless for me to pay 300 dollars for their mistake. My wireless has been dead for almost 2 months and in that 2 months i could've gotten a free repair but all i did was talk to online technicians and the online technicians tells me nothing about calling HP. They're just tossing me around. How great is this.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

said by heymistergq :

I'm about ready to give up on my laptop. HP refuses to take care of this issue because my warranty is done along with the 24 month warranty they give, its ridiculous because i find it pointless for me to pay 300 dollars for their mistake. My wireless has been dead for almost 2 months and in that 2 months i could've gotten a free repair but all i did was talk to online technicians and the online technicians tells me nothing about calling HP. They're just tossing me around. How great is this.
Wait, how long have you had the unit? A year, or 2? Obviously, if you've only had the laptop for a year (just outside the 1 year warranty, but still in the 24 month window) then HP needs to repair it. If it's more than 24 months, then it sadly is within HP's right to refuse free repair.

However, if you're in the 24 month window, even if it's a week left, keep at it. Contact PC Magazine or some similar outlet and let them know. (PC Magazine has an 'on your side' column where they will give HP hell on your behalf if they won't help.)

How far you take it is up to you, man hours aside, it's worth it if the unit gets repaired.

heymistergq
@wideopenwest.com

heymistergq

Anon

I've had my notebook for little over a year now, i think im like 40 days past my 1 year warranty. But the 24 month period, i don't believe i have passed it yet.

I talked to an online tech. again and apparently they are sending me a box for my laptop for free. I believe they are diagnosing it for free. But i do not know if they will be fixing it for free, but if they do end up making me pay for the repair, i probably won't because i won't pay for a damage i didn't do.

Captokita, can you link me to this "on your side" column, i can't seem to find it. Thanks!