spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mend0dad

@o1.com

[general] Wireless Router compatible w/WildBlue?

Looking for help on wireless routers that work well with WildBlue/ViaSat SM2000. My broadband access is not installed yet and WildBlue will not go there. LC Communications installation/Supv. however said some work better than others w/WB, will not say which his tech's carry with them, but will install one for a fee if wanted. Thought I'd do it myself thank-you very much.

Suggestions anyone...

phkat
Premium
join:2008-10-24
Reubens, ID
I have wildblue and have a home network for 3 computers. I use a linksys WRT54G router. Intsalled it myself. The farthest computer at the extreme end of the house is at least 100 feet and 7 or 8 walls between it and the router.

Warning: Wildblue will try to blame EVERY problem you have on your router each and every time. None of my issues in over 2.5 years has ever ended up being because of the router but nonetheless, they will try to tell you it is.

Early on I did have a belkin usb wireless card in the farthest computer, but it had endless problems and eventually quit working altogether. Once that usb wireless card was removed and I deleted all references to belkin from my main computer, I have had NO problems whatsoever.

ahedge
Premium
join:2002-05-14
Neosho, MO
reply to mend0dad
It's a non issue, any decent router will do. I have a Linksys WRT54G and works well.

For debugging helps being able to connect a PC directly to the LAN port of the Wildblue modem, so that you can quickly shut them up if Wildblue blames your router.

A couple of times in two years my router couldn't get an IP address but connecting the PC solved the problem.

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
reply to mend0dad
Don't buy a Belkin and you will be fine

I have excellent results with way over a hundred TrendNet routers installed
They are cheap and work fine

Mr Annon

join:2008-03-04
reply to ahedge
I learned a long time ago never to volunteer information that did not help with trouble shooting. So if the help desk asks what OS I am running it is Windows (I use openSUSE Linux) If they ask do I have a router? I say yes, but the computer is directly connected at the moment (even if it isn't). If your router is decent and properly asks for a IP it is no different than if your computer is hooked to the modem. The reason I think they ask you to connect direct is to eliminate things like a failed router, poorly connected cables, and mistakes of network setup on your part. Plus not many people even know how to access the routers setup pages. If you do, you can check to see if you have been assigned a DNS, Default Gateway, and IP from the routers status page. If you do not have these, chances are theres a problem with connection. I had this 1.5 years ago when my Tria failed. At that time I had to wade through the Call desk helps scripts, pretend to restart the computer 3-4 times, and all the other blather, until they realized what I had known all along when I could not get a lock signal at the modem. That the problem was from the modem to the dish.

It would sure be nice if they Wildblue gave some local diagnostics that could be run on the equipment along with signal strength. But instead they do the kabuki dance with people until they eliminate user error.

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to mend0dad
WB has a diagnostic tool that support uses to look down to see your WB hardware
Called the SVT tool
It displays the mac address and manufacturer of the nic the modem is plugged into
If the modem is attached to a Linksys router the tool displays Linksys, same if modem is plugged into a VAIO computer we see Sony as the manufacturer of the nic

It only makes seance to trouble shoot one piece of hardware at a time
Strip it down to minimum and add components till problem pops up - pretty basic approach

Might seem clever to pull tricks but...

Mr Annon

join:2008-03-04
True enough, you know the nic, but if the modem does not get a lock, Trouble shooting the computer is bureaucratic nonsense. Wildblue will still do this. to follow the script. Too bad they do not tell you that they know that there is no connection. Also too bad there is no diagnostics that the home users has. Your comment is meaningless in that context.

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

3 edits
reply to mend0dad
Linksys WRT54G OR WRT54GS with WMP54G or WMP54GS wireless cards for several years on 3 different WildBlue systems and works great. I recommend Linksys only after dealing with inferior products by other brands. Products are great and reliable and have been going on sale at Wal-Mart for the past few weeks.
--
6 Wireless Workstations: WildBlue Satellite:WildBlue-1 Gateway:Laredo Beam:123 on 1.5Mbps/256Kbps plan at Knob Noster, Missouri.

5 Wireless Workstations: WildBlue Beam: 32 on 1.0Mbps/200Kbps plan at Pueblo Pintado, New Mexico.

opus74
Deep Thought
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Coello, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER
said by mikefxu:

I recommend Linksys only after dealing with inferior products by other brands.
In the same manner, I recommend products by SMC Networks. I've used them on DSL, cable, and now, unfortunately, on WB without a hitch.

The unfortunate part is WB is my only choice at the moment.

--
Lordy, I have loved some ladies and I have loved Jim Beam and they both tried to kill me in 1973.

comitatus1

join:2008-10-31
reply to mend0dad
said by mend0dad :

Looking for help on wireless routers that work well with WildBlue/ViaSat SM2000. My broadband access is not installed yet and WildBlue will not go there. LC Communications installation/Supv. however said some work better than others w/WB, will not say which his tech's carry with them, but will install one for a fee if wanted. Thought I'd do it myself thank-you very much.

Suggestions anyone...
I use a WRT54G router and it works fine. I have DD-WRT installed on it. The WAN TRAFFIC page in invaluable for keeping up with FAP usage. I consistently run between 15,500 and 16,800 total usage every day of the month. Also, I use the QOS page to limit my up and download speeds. VERY good for limiting total throughput without having to unplug the modem when I'm close to the FAP limit.

Chris