spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bucksbirdcam
@verizon.net

bucksbirdcam

Anon

[northeast] Wan IP address changing every other day

I have a couple of IP cameras pointed at a bird feeder in my back yard and for the last year the WAN IP has changed twice. For the last 3 weeks it's changing every day. Since I have the cameras on a website pointing to the IP addresses and ports of the cameras, I have to update the page for them to work when there's a change. Anybody have an idea what's going on? Can I expect this to be the norm?

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

It's the norm...your lease can change at any time for any number of reasons. Since you are exposing the cameras to remote viewing, you should consider using one of the automatic updating services which will allow you to forget about numeric IP addresses in your web page and let the service point to the IP address du jour.

Bucksbirdcam
@verizon.net

Bucksbirdcam to bucksbirdcam

Anon

to bucksbirdcam
I am using DNS2GO for one of the cameras. You can only monitor one camera at a time since there is a dedicated applet running on your computer to monitor only one address at a time. I would have to have multiple computers running to monitor each camera. Would you know of a program that could do multiple sites?
Hajman
join:2001-12-17
Newtown Square, PA

Hajman

Use a a dynamic dns hosting service like dyndns.org. The service is free. You establish a a word-based url (like birdwatch.homeip.net). Then, using a utility on a always on computer (or even within your router), every time your WAN IP addresses changes, dyndns updates the IP address for the URL.

Your cameras should then point to birdwatch.homeip.net, not the numbered IP address.

Bucksbirdcam
@verizon.net

Anon

to bucksbirdcam
Can you assign multiple ports to the one "birdwatch.homeip.net"? How will you differentiate between the multiple cameras?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by Bucksbirdcam :

Can you assign multiple ports to the one "birdwatch.homeip.net"? How will you differentiate between the multiple cameras?
Can you run multiple instances of your application so each instance will monitor one camera and be listening on a different incoming port?

Dynamic DNS providers (such as DNS2GO) simply translate your "domain name" (birdwatch.homeip.net) to your current IP address. Whatever port the remote user is trying to connect to will be passed through.

You mentioned an applet, so I assume the remote access is via a browser and http protocol. You can append a port number to the URL. For example,
»birdwatch.homeip.net will normally connect to port 80.
»birdwatch.homeip.net:8000 will connect to port 8000.

As you may have discovered, VZ blocks incoming port 80, so you need to run your application on a port other than port 80 or use your dynamic DNS provider's service to remap port 80 to a different port.

So if you can run multiple instances of your application, then you can access both ports remotely, for example:
»birdwatch.homeip.net:8000
»birdwatch.homeip.net:8001

Bucksbirdcam
@verizon.net

Anon

to bucksbirdcam
I have 3 cameras going now. One with dns2go at port 8000 and the other two with my "IP of the day" and port 5190 and 5191 respectively. The dns2go runs as a service so I can't run multiple incidences of it. Dyndns runs the same way.
What I have to do now is update the pointers to the IP address on the website every time it changes. I know a static IP would be the way to go but not at 3 times the cost.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Bucksbirdcam :

I have 3 cameras going now. One with dns2go at port 8000 and the other two with my "IP of the day" and port 5190 and 5191 respectively. The dns2go runs as a service so I can't run multiple incidences of it. Dyndns runs the same way.
If all three cams are running on the same computer but on three different ports then you only need one "hostname" (and one dns2go service!) -- the webpage just needs to refer each individual port just like MoreFiber said:

birdcam.homeip.net:8000
birdcam.homeip.net:5190
birdcam.homeip.net:5192

Where "birdcam" is the hostname of your choice and "homeip.net" is the domain name provided by dns2go.

Problem solved.

(Really. I have a bunch of different ports opened on one computer all running a single dns client service for dyndns. Works perfectly.)

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

The DNS2GO service running on your machine is unrelated to the specific ports used by your cameras. It is there to detect when your IP address changes and notify DNS2GO of the new IP address. That will cause their DNS servers to update the IP address for birdcam.homeip.net. You don't need multiple instances of it.

As suggested above, just append :5190 or :5192 to your domain name to access the additional ports/cameras.