how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rick
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-06
Waterbury, CT

Poll....With the new tiers which will you subscribe to?

Multiple Choice Poll
As most know by now Comcast is beginning their upgrade to docsis 3.0. Along with that is coming new tiers and pricing. Assuming that the following become your choices which one will you be subscribing to?

A)768/384 economy tier for 24.95

B)12000/2000 tier for 42.95

C)16000/2000 tier for 52.95

D)22000/5000 tier for 62.95

E)50000/10000 tier for 139.95

F)Anyone who doesn't have comcast but who feels the need to click something choose this

G)Anyone who has Comcast but hates them with such a passion that nothing will ever satisfy you and you'll be cancelling soon anyway choose this

Participants:219

--
The Coyote captured the RR! Roadrunner Rick is now Comcastic!

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
join:2004-10-12
Parker, CO
kudos:2
You should put in one more option, stating that you would get a business account, or put the business accounts into the options.

My Vote:
22/5 for $99.99 business class account.

Rick
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-06
Waterbury, CT
said by Cjaiceman:

You should put in one more option, stating that you would get a business account, or put the business accounts into the options.

My Vote:
22/5 for $99.99 business class account.
Seeing polls can't be modified lets just say that anyone who falls into this category will select the 22/5 residential option and should there be any other business class customers they can select the speed tier closest to theirs.
--
The Coyote captured the RR! Roadrunner Rick is now Comcastic!

inferno4

join:2008-07-06
Sorry, not paying $150 a month for internet...

jhacker

join:2001-12-11
Peoria, IL
reply to Rick
I'd be satisfied if Comcast will offer something between the economy tier and 12meg/2meg. Perhaps increasing the economy, or offering a 6meg/1meg package. Because I am trying to cut costs, I called recently to ask about getting the economy tier. Comcast said they don't offer it in my area (former Insight). 768k is way too low for our needs, and reminds me of our first days on DSL. 12 meg is really more than we need right now too, especially since we're supposed to get 10 meg. We very seldom get that.

trent7

join:2005-11-28
Philadelphia, PA
reply to Rick
12/2 is more than enough for me.

Main reason to go with Blast! over 6/1 was the upload speed (not that the download speed wasn't nice too ). But with now both non D3 tiers having the same upload speed, 12mbps will be enough on the download side.

If I were to upgrade later on because my needs change I would go with 22/5. I don't think the 16/2 tier makes much sense anymore with the current pricing scheme.

joe0307
Z3

join:2001-06-25
FL/NY
reply to Rick
I'm currently in the economy tier. Not totally happy with it, but Cannot justify the extra $18/mo. Would like to see a tier to fill the gap, like a new 6000 tier.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

2 recommendations

reply to Rick
Most likely will back off to 12/2 and save the $10.00 until I can buy my own DOCSIS 3 modem then jump to the 22/5.
Download speed was fine at 8mbps, I want upload!
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by dadkins:

Download speed was fine at 8mbps, I want upload!
I agree.

Give me 10/10 and I'll be happy.

K3

join:2008-05-06
Kankakee, IL

1 edit
reply to Rick
I will be going straight for the 22/5, as soon as its released, and as soon as I can afford it bump up to the 50/10 tier.

10/10 would make me very happy!! I wish they would do a symmetrical tier, maybe one day......

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
reply to Rick
Already "downgraded" from 16/2 to 12/2.

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to Rick
I agree 16/2 makes no sense at all...I'll probably downgrade to 12/2.....but knowing me, I'll have to try 22/5 sooner or later...
50/10 is out of the ballpark for me.

Whew, U-verse really wants me...lol
Had a salesman at the door again today...then the mail had a book all about it. I'll tell ya, some of their stuff looks good, more HD's, more premiums, and it's cheaper too. I know their internet isn't as fast (yet), but I could live with 10/1.5

Hurry up Comcast, I'm getting an itchy trigger finger.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Rick
I'm on 16/2, but was already considering going down a notch, so the 12/2 is going to be my choice
12/2 and 16/2 are too close, CC needs to offer some/more distinction between tiers. (either extras with the 16/2 or restriction/lower speed on the 12/2)

Matthewb

join:2000-02-09
Crofton, MD

1 edit
reply to Rick
I'm at 16/2 now, I will go to 22/5 when it is available.

I hope they revise the monthly caps for the different speed tiers.
--
Matt

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to Rick
said by Rick:

Poll

Votes:

Since you didn't have a stay put then upgrade later option, I'm planning on staying put and waiting out the 16/2 upgrade and after I see how things go, weather it's rent or buy, I'll be upgrading to the 22/5 package.

Hope I'm able to get a Moto 6120 to replace my 5100 on the internet side. (I have the Triple Play and since they can't seem to get the ARRIS to work right speed wise, I use it for phone only and my original RR install 5100 for internet.)

20 bucks total is definitely worth it to go from 16/2 to 22/5.

If I could and knew of servers that could fully handle it, I'd be doing the 50/10 package, but the main thing is the cost, having to replace my 54GL to get higher speeds and not being able to get a full 50 without using a DL manager.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
reply to Rick
I was on the 50/5 tier, now 50/10 with a $10/mo price decrease to $139.95.

I'm considering dropping down to 22/5 simply because I rarely use my downstream capacity to the fullest, but now with the plan offering 10mbps up that might be a bit difficult to give up.

One thing I will say, the speeds have been pretty darn consistent.

50/5:

50/10:

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

2 recommendations

reply to Rick
I have 16/2 now and have been pleased with it, but primarily appreciated the boost in upload speed. Once 12/2 becomes available, it will no longer make sense to pay the extra $10 every month unless they increase the Blast caps to at least 16/3.

I have not yet decided whether I will back off to 12/2 or move up to 22/5. Since it isn't here yet, I have time to think about it. In the meantime, if Verizon FiOS TV enters the mix, an enticing triple play bundle from either company may make the decision more complex. We do already have the option of FiOS internet service.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
Why not get FiOS then?

As for me, I'd probably do a bit of a crossgrade, from my current 8/2 service to 12/2 business. I'd get a bit of a download speed boost, uploads would be faster on PwoerBoost due to DOCSIS 2 rollout, I could keep my current modem, and no cap. Plus it's $59 if I'm reading correctly, with no TV service required.

If I don't do that I'll probably get 22/5 residential, assuming they raise caps for that tier. Then again, looks like it'll take for-freaking-ever to get D3 up here, due to lack of competition.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Rick
blast should be moved to 18/5

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
reply to iansltx
said by iansltx:

Why not get FiOS then?
I have no compelling reason to do that currently. I am waiting until all three services are available as a Triple Play bundle for both companies. At that point I'll evaluate pros and cons between them. Rumor is 4th Quarter for DOCSIS 3.0 here and, I think, there is a similar plan for Verizon FiOS TV rollout in this general area.

said by iansltx:

As for me, I'd probably do a bit of a crossgrade, from my current 8/2 service to 12/2 business. .... Plus it's $59 if I'm reading correctly, with no TV service required.
Where are you reading $59 with no TV service required and no cap for business 12/2? If that is advertised, I would think this forum would be lit up with excitement. If it has been posted here, I have totally missed it.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

iansltx

Austin, TX
I'm unsure of the regular pricing for the 'net-only business tier, but whatever it is, it's gonna get a 12/2 upgrade. I seem to remember it back in the D3 thread.

lynxy

join:2003-07-27
Danvers, MA
reply to Rick
CANCEL WHEN FIOS AVAILABLE or sooner to DSL

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
Hunh? You talkin' to me? If so, DSL here is slower than the 6/1 Comcast plan and almost slower than the 4/1 plan (they say it's 4/1 here), and that's at maximum speed. FiOS isn't even available in the whole state (Colorado)...Qwest territory. Heck, if VZ was here and even had the 7/768 DSL I'd probably be using that.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
reply to Rick
$24.95 is the right price point, for me; but the speed is too low.

trent7

Philadelphia, PA

1 edit
reply to Rick
By the way the Economy tier has become even more ridiculous and overpriced with this round of upgrades. $25 for a 768/384 ... and $18 more gets you 12/2 (more than 15X the DL speed and 5X the UP speed)!!! Seriously!!! And 768kbps in this day and age!?! It's probably barely enough for streaming video of average quality, like Hulu.

Either drop the price to around $15, or up the speed to somewhere between 2/512 & 4/1 ... otherwise Comcast should rename the "Economy tier" to "Total Ripoff tier"!

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
There are plenty of places (outside of town) where 768/384 internet is $40 or $50 a month. Then again, it'd be cool if they upped speeds on "Economy" to 1.5/512...768/384 is plenty usable for basic web stuff, but 1.5/512 would be much better, since with that amount of speed you could do video calling and watch everything but HD video.

trent7

Philadelphia, PA
Sure it's an excellent deal compared to satellite Internet
I was comparing what Comcast has to offer to each other.

iansltx

Austin, TX
True dat. Then again, 768k DSL runs about $20/month with phone service if I recall correctly, $25ish without. So Comcast is right in line...

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN
reply to Rick
Currently at 16/2 tier but will go to the 12/2 when my promo price runs out. More than enough speed for me.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

reply to iansltx
Is Comcast "Economy" Internet $24.95 a month without TV? Is it even available without TV? I ask because, by your comparison, you would have to include the cost of cable TV service with the Internet price, if you had to have even Basic TV to get "Economy" Internet; closer to $38.51 for "Economy" Internet in that case.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum