spc
Search similar:

uniqs
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Caps

If you look at it, technically they shouldn't have a bandwidth crunch at all right now; their caps top out at 75 GB/month! Granted, they're lax about enforcing those caps, but really, the ope is that they'll at least increase caps to Comcast levels when they do upgrade the network. Also, wonder what "affordable" means in the context of a 25 Mbps connection. $63-ish per month with cable like Comcast's new D3 22/5 tier? What will be the upload speed? Honestly I'd much rather have a 15 Mbps symmetric connection than 25/2 or 25/5. 20/20 (like FiOS) would be better, but that's about the extent of the bandwidth I'd want Too bad cable can't do it without upstream channel bonding...something Comcast has elected not to do yet.
hihi9
join:2007-05-06
Port Orange, FL

hihi9

Re: Caps

said by iansltx:

If you look at it, technically they shouldn't have a bandwidth crunch at all right now; their caps top out at 75 GB/month! Granted, they're lax about enforcing those caps, but really, the ope is that they'll at least increase caps to Comcast levels when they do upgrade the network. Also, wonder what "affordable" means in the context of a 25 Mbps connection. $63-ish per month with cable like Comcast's new D3 22/5 tier? What will be the upload speed? Honestly I'd much rather have a 15 Mbps symmetric connection than 25/2 or 25/5. 20/20 (like FiOS) would be better, but that's about the extent of the bandwidth I'd want Too bad cable can't do it without upstream channel bonding...something Comcast has elected not to do yet.
I rather have 30/15 or 15/7.5
2to1 is good to me
1 to 1 is not an option or a wetdream that can only happen in japan, korea or country that doesn't shape your usage...

100/10
50/5
10/1
the reason for 10/1 ratio is this...
it is not meant for uploading
but at 2/1 the uploading is still decent much like 56k modem
they do not want us to upload anything
they do not want us to have any freedom
its a slaveband aka enslavement of your connection
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Re: Caps

FiOS has a smmetric tier, and none of their tiers are worse than 5:1 ratio. Then again, my Comcast service is 4:1...

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to iansltx

MVM

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

If you look at it, technically they shouldn't have a bandwidth crunch at all right now;
If you look at it technically caps have no effect on congestion.

The problem facing providers is peak demand. Caps do nothing to reduce this in anything other then a very indirect way by discouraging use of the connection.

Bandwidth in an of itself does not have a cost. Provider is paying for ability to deliver peak bandwidth. Reducing bandwidth use below that level has zero impact on cost. Demand in excess of peak capacity results in higher latency, slowdown, and in extreme cases dropped packets.

/tom