Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to Noah Vail

Premium Member

to Noah Vail

Re: Personal Delivery Service.

said by Noah Vail:

The really cool thing about the upgrades, is that we have more opportunities to send personal notes to the NSA and we can be sure that they'll get there and be read.

NV
Aren't e-mails encrypted? Meaning the KGB (NSA) can't read them either.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

Most POP clients don't encrypt unless you install security certificates at each end. I can sniff one and reassemble it on my networks. Sometimes I get passwords.

If you use SSL to access your gmail account, the email itself travels in plain text. I think Hushmail is supposed to deal with that, but I'm not very familiar with it.

NV
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

said by Noah Vail:

Most POP clients don't encrypt unless you install security certificates at each end. I can sniff one and reassemble it on my networks. Sometimes I get passwords.

If you use SSL to access your gmail account, the email itself travels in plain text. I think Hushmail is supposed to deal with that, but I'm not very familiar with it.

NV
My e-mail address is *****@yahoo.com that what I use for sending and recieving emails, my HSI e-mail is ****@sbcglobal.net

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to Noah Vail

to Noah Vail
said by Noah Vail:

NV
Hushmail PGP encrypts the message before it leaves the user and it only decrypts it when it is delivered to the recipient. In addition the User-to/from-Hushmail session is SSL Encrypted. Thus sniffing does no good.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

said by RARPSL:

Hushmail PGP encrypts the message before it leaves the user and it only decrypts it when it is delivered to the recipient. In addition the User-to/from-Hushmail session is SSL Encrypted. Thus sniffing does no good.
How is it decrypted on the other end without a key and a mechanism to use it? Or are you HushMail on both ends?

NV

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

said by Noah Vail:

said by RARPSL:

How is it decrypted on the other end without a key and a mechanism to use it? Or are you HushMail on both ends?

NV
Hushmail is normally done as WebMail (although I think you can have it send you a normal Mailbox). If you send or receive via a MUA you need to use PGP to encrypt or decrypt (Hushmail allows you to get your public and secret key when you sign up for the account). The idea of Hushmail is that the email account is in their domain so not only is the message encrypted but the identity behind the address is also (you use a autoXXXXXX@hushmail.com address).