All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
akandmk
join:2008-10-25
Rogersville, MO

akandmk

Upload isn't fast enough for vonage although.....

my husband and i called and talked with a tech about this and he told us we needed to upgrade to the 59 dollar pkg. And we did it that night but still our upload isn't even close to what we were promised. This is how fast my download and upload are and can someone please tell me what i am supposed to do to get this fixed because i don't want to shell out more money and would really like to keep using this if we can get it fixed.

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::
Download Connection is:: 872 Kbps about 0.87 Mbps (tested with 1024 kB)
Download Speed is:: 106 kB/s
Upload Connection is:: 148 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 18 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net (Main)
Test Time:: 2008/10/25 - 12:43pm
D-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-THGXSB50O
U-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-GJB80FY3Z
User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

Island Jeff
join:2005-07-18

Island Jeff

Can you do the 2992 KB upload test at testmy.net and post the results?

(with the small size test, traffic shaping latency/congestion which can cause a slow ramp up to speed now often produces a slow result; the traffic shaping / latency may be your problem and may be insurmountable regardless, but at least if you perform the larger 2992 KB test I've found it consistently closely correlates with the maximum real-world throughput you'll see from the system and will give a quick indication on whether you have a pointing or other problem or whether you're seeing what everyone else is seeing.)

shoe1
join:2007-09-28
Colfax, CA

shoe1 to akandmk

to akandmk
even if your upload was good enough vonage still wouldn't work because of the latency of satellite internet (the response time).
hotpass105
join:2008-06-16
Gainesville, GA

hotpass105

said by shoe1:

even if your upload was good enough vonage still wouldn't work because of the latency of satellite internet (the response time).
True... we tryed...

N4ST
Jim
Premium Member
join:2005-11-25
Jersey, VA

N4ST to akandmk

Premium Member

to akandmk
From www.wildblue.com Q&A:

29. What is the impact of latency? Can I play real-time Internet games or make Internet phone calls on your service?
The WildBlue system is engineered to help offset the impact of latency, which is the delay caused by sending signals from the earth to the satellite and back again. However, there is a delay as the signal travels up to the satellite, back down to the gateway, up to the satellite and back down to your modem. For most applications this latency does not affect performance, however, there are some applications like voice over IP (telephone service delivered over the Internet, also known as VoIP), or real-time interactive gaming, where latency will have a noticeable effect on performance over the WildBlue network, as it would on any satellite-delivered service.

30. Does WildBlue support VoIP?
At this time, WildBlue does not support Voip.

Island Jeff
join:2005-07-18

Island Jeff

quote:
where latency will have a noticeable effect on performance over the WildBlue network, as it would on any satellite-delivered service.
Didn't I read a few threads from people using iDirect systems and successfully doing VOIP?
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

Yup, iDirect supplies a good-as-it-gets VOIP
Still have a half second delay but very doable, if you can afford it...

wolfridge
Premium Member
join:2003-03-01
Manson Creek, BC

wolfridge to akandmk

Premium Member

to akandmk
Vonage works fine with satellite latency what it does not work with is Traffic shaping used by both Wildblue and Hughes.
akandmk
join:2008-10-25
Rogersville, MO

akandmk

Thank you guys. We found that out two days ago from a tech that it won't support VOIP. I really wish they would've told us that when we got installed. I now have to keep paying for vonage and i am really not happy about paying for something that isn't going to work.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

said by akandmk:

I really wish they would've told us that when we got installed.
From wildblue.com:

»wildblue.com/aboutWildbl ··· /qaa.jsp

Q/A: #29
No one was hiding the info just have to take a little time to look...

DarkSol64
join:2005-06-26

DarkSol64 to akandmk

to akandmk
actually it is Q #30, can you not read?