jsm107
Premium Member
join:2001-08-04
New Port Richey, FL

1 edit

jsm107

Premium Member

F9 Down Again 10-26

Not Sure How Long It's Been Down Here Anybody else ?
soitgoes2
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14

soitgoes2

Premium Member

Re: F9 Down 10-26

sip2 and europa are working
sip.future-nine.com is not
rizzo2dial
Premium Member
join:2004-08-05

rizzo2dial to jsm107

Premium Member

to jsm107
Time to grab more popcorn?
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public to soitgoes2

to soitgoes2
said by soitgoes2:

sip2 and europa are working
sip.future-nine.com is not
sip.future-nine.com is not working here.

jsm107
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

jsm107 to rizzo2dial

Premium Member

to rizzo2dial
Think Its Time To Find Another Provider
soitgoes2
Premium Member

soitgoes2 to public

Premium Member

to public
Indeed, but sip2 and europa *are* working.

jsm107
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

jsm107

Premium Member

Cannot Log on to My Adapter to change servers
rizzo2dial
Premium Member
join:2004-08-05

rizzo2dial to jsm107

Premium Member

to jsm107
said by jsm107:

Think Its Time To Find Another Provider
I'm neither a current nor former F9 customer. <shrug>
soitgoes2
Premium Member

soitgoes2 to jsm107

Premium Member

to jsm107
said by jsm107:

Cannot Log on to My Adapter to change servers
what kind of adapter are you using?
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan to jsm107

Premium Member

to jsm107

Re: F9 Down Again 10-26

Should be back up. More details later.
soitgoes2
Premium Member

soitgoes2

Premium Member

yep, it's working again.
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

1 recommendation

nitzan to jsm107

Premium Member

to jsm107
The good news is that the monitoring script we put in place caught it this time, and if this ever happens again it should fix itself automatically.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

Nitzan,

This isn't good. Reliability is important!

Good luck fixing it. I'm certain you understand how important it is to keep your service fully functional at all times.
davidm00
join:2000-08-19
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

davidm00 to nitzan

to nitzan
said by nitzan:

The good news is that the monitoring script we put in place caught it this time, and if this ever happens again it should fix itself automatically.
Nitzan - not sure how good your script is but this time its been down from 12am to 1:30am ET. I have a script on my Asterisk which monitors trunk failures every 15 mins. I understand VOIP service has hiccups but such a long outage twice in 1 week is something to be concerned about. Good thing it happened when everyone is asleep, or most of us anyways! Hope you get this worked out for future outages. BTW, I'm on incoming.future-nine.com which I thought has a failover mechanism to other servers?
dcm
join:2008-09-12
Pennsylvania

1 edit

dcm to nitzan

to nitzan
said by nitzan:

If the script caught it, why didn't it fix itself automatically this time?
dcm

dcm to davidm00

to davidm00
said by davidm00:

... this time its been down from 12am to 1:30am ET. ... Good thing it happened when everyone is asleep, or most of us anyways!
I think there were a couple of people watching the World Series madness in that timeframe.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k to pandora

MVM

to pandora

said by pandora:

Nitzan,

Is the service still in a beta phase?

RockyBB
Premium Member
join:2005-01-31
Steamboat Springs, CO

RockyBB to dcm

Premium Member

to dcm

said by dcm:

Why didn't it fix itself automatically this time?
tough crowd. good thing that F9 is sold as being in "beta" -- though perhaps some have forgotten.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to usa2k

Premium Member

to usa2k

said by usa2k:

That is an interesting question. My guess is Future-Nine will always be in beta, as a way to argue against punishment for not providing 911 service to all customers.

Personally, I wish there was an opt out for 911 service from our government. I can get by on my VOIP line without 911.

HereWeGo
@123garagesale.com

HereWeGo to rizzo2dial

Anon

to rizzo2dial

Re: F9 Down 10-26

Ha,Ha...This time I'm getting some popcorn too.

It's always funny when you put "tech" and "sales" together in a blender and watch it go. You get a Beta-shake!

montano
join:2001-04-29
Central Cali

montano to jsm107

to jsm107

I'm not making popcorn till Brendan shows up

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by montano:

Don't forget Bruce too.
jay_rm
join:2002-04-12
Netville

jay_rm to montano

to montano
said by montano:

..or llast08 !
celtic0 (banned)
join:2001-02-08
USA

celtic0 (banned)

llast08 has left the building

said by jay_rm:

..or llast08 !
After 5 years membership, looks like he couldn't extend this "issue" to another thread then went inactive.

»[request] Require Providers to Give Contact Information

»/profi ··· /1053055
soitgoes2
Premium Member

soitgoes2 to dcm

Premium Member

to dcm

said by dcm:

If the script caught it, why didn't it fix itself automatically this time?
The script that caught this, I believe, was a monitoring script. It alerted Nitzan to the problem so that it could be corrected. Based on Nitzan's comment about an automatic fix, I would suspect he added to the script so that, in addition to providing notification, it would take some sort of corrective action.
gbh2o
join:2000-12-18
Longs, SC

1 edit

gbh2o to usa2k

to usa2k

said by usa2k:

said by pandora:

Nitzan,

The site still has such hints as: "** Please note that during Beta some of these features will not work" and indeed the features indicated don't work. So, I'd guess that they're still in beta. From all the threads, Nitzan's obviously been trying to implement requests while expanding and building out a more stable system.

This thread just tells me that he was successful in his diagnostic hope that he'd identified the problem that cause the last outage, and with that success and verification, he has now implemented an automatic self-cure process to prevent such problems in the future. Whether it can address all types of failures is probably wishful thinking more than reality.

From my perspective... F9 provides _some_ of the most cost-effective components for my * type menageries. F9 has chosen to not support other of my type of requirements and so I use several other providers that do support my whims. I seem to remember that it is his company, and he has chosen his own market niche. I understand that I should not expect 99.999% up-time, any more than I would of any VoIP service... especially not with his price structure. And, I know there is absolutely no way Nitzan can address the problems I encounter by having Embarf as my ISP.

F9 says it's still in beta and it appears to be true. Nitzan provides some of the least expensive DIDs with that healthy incoming allowance. Yes I can cherry pick here and there for some markets, but I'm slowly concentrating more with F9 since he provides a great overall price. His outbound rates are good, but of little value to me since I can't set DID appropriate to whichever of my users happens to be dialing at any given time, so I use several other carriers that do allow me that flexibility. Then again, my use isn't typical of the normal household.

I believe Nitzan is honestly trying to provide the 'normal' residential household with the least expensive [Nitzan insists on saying Cheap] good quality service that he can devise. He openly addresses problems his work-in-progress encounters and even listens to some of the suggestions offered. I think he's going to get it 'right' in time and remain available on the lower end of the market.

If you're looking for the five 9s, I suggest remaining totally with your 'LECs and PSTN and paying the big bucks for that reliability. Nothing over the internet will ever be able to achieve the security of that high reliability. There are just too many weak points in the structure.

Sorry, just was in a soapbox mode...
dcm
Pennsylvania

1 edit

dcm to soitgoes2

to soitgoes2

said by soitgoes2:

The script that caught this, I believe, was a monitoring script. It alerted Nitzan to the problem so that it could be corrected. Based on Nitzan's comment about an automatic fix, I would suspect he added to the script so that, in addition to providing notification, it would take some sort of corrective action.
That's what I figured, but why not put the auto fix in to begin with? You know, attempt to kill two birds with one stone. Why take the chance of seeing "F9 Down Again 10-31" for the same issue?

I'm not pulling a "llast08" on Nitzan, I'm just wondering why the auto fix wouldn't have also been implemented when the monitoring script was added. Maybe Nitzan didn't know the exact cause of failure, so he couldn't add the auto fix at the time. Now he knows, so it's now auto fixable?
davidm00
join:2000-08-19
Philadelphia, PA

davidm00 to jsm107

to jsm107
Problem is the monitoring script took 1.5 hrs to notify Nitzan, unless it was the issue itself which took 1.5 hrs to fix. Maybe Nitzan can confirm this.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

1 edit

PX Eliezer704 to jsm107

Premium Member

to jsm107
Well, folks, we have to stop meeting like this!

Too much popcorn (edited correction) can cause diarrhea. N9MD can tell us about that.

I do hope that these F-9 Gremlins from the Kremlin, can be tamed.

----------------------------------------------------

As was mentioned above, there was one forum member (llast08) who said that Nitzan was hiding from customers.

I find such a statement supremely ironic, because Nitzan is all over these forums! That could not possibly constitute hiding! It's the opposite of hiding.

The further irony is that Nitzan was criticized several times for being too much in the forums. So he got pounded from both directions.

Several providers have had significant issues lately, such as Vonics, Joiphone, Verizon's VoiceWing, and others. Yet I have never seen any staff or management from those providers participate in the forums. So I would say that even though those providers may have addresses and phone numbers, they are the ones who are hiding.
dcm
Pennsylvania

dcm to davidm00

to davidm00
said by davidm00:

Problem is the monitoring script took 1.5 hrs to notify Nitzan, unless it was the issue itself which took 1.5 hrs to fix. Maybe Nitzan can confirm this.
Maybe he was watching the Phils and Rays battle it out?