uniqs

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Is it unsafe to burn Pine in wood stove?

I have had a small argument with roomate. We have a wood stove and use IT to heat the house with. Earlier this year the utility company came here and cut down a tree for us, it was some sort of sticky pine tree, a huge one.

My roomate seems to think it would be a good idea to use the wood from the felled pine tree to heat the house. I told him that I believe it would be quite hazardous to burn pine of any type due to build up in the chimney from it. Besides that, the tree was not dead when it was felled and as such, the wood is green.

Am I right? If I am, what types of wood ARE bad to use? If I am wrong, can you burn just anything?

Note, I did sweep the chimney over the springtime this year.

Vtblues
if you can't get out of it, get in to it
Premium Member
join:2006-05-29
Brookfield, VT

Vtblues

Premium Member

It is unsafe as it will build up too much creosote and increase the risk of a chimney fire. Use hardwood, oak, maple, birch, ash, black cherry, beech. Those are ones that come to mind and grow around me.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to signmeuptoo94

MVM

to signmeuptoo94
Most pine varieties are a sappy, soft wood. It burns fast and hot. I would not burn it alone and absolutely not right away. You can burn a small piece or two to get the fire started and mix some in with other hardwood to burn only after it sat and seasoned for a long time (like 18 months).

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

What frustrates me is that my roomate is sometimes a Mr. Knowitall even when he doesn't know what he is talking about. For instance: I am a LASER technologist among other things, and went to college for it, but he will argue about that topic with me even though he has little college and no LASER training.

He laughed at me when I told him it would cause creosote build up a few weeks ago, he made a face at me and got mad. Sometimes it is really hard living here, heh.

Vtblues
if you can't get out of it, get in to it
Premium Member
join:2006-05-29
Brookfield, VT

Vtblues to jack b

Premium Member

to jack b
said by jack b:

Most pine varieties are a sappy, soft wood. It burns fast and hot. I would not burn it alone and absolutely not right away. You can burn a small piece or two to get the fire started and mix some in with other hardwood to burn only after it sat and seasoned for a long time (like 18 months).
Dead on, use for kindling
Expand your moderator at work

Sundog
I'm an analog man in a digital world
Premium Member
join:2003-12-12
Tucson, AZ

3 edits

1 recommendation

Sundog to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94

Re: Is it unsafe to burn Pine in wood stove?

I lived in Montana for quite a few years heating my homes with a wood stove. I preferred Yellow Pine (Ponderosa Pine) for my fires as it started fast. I will agree that burning pine can produce more creosote buildup versus burning hard woods, but regular cleaning the flue is where it's at. I never a had a problem with pine. I also used Douglas Fir, Larch, and Spruce as those were the predominant trees up there, but I preferred Ponderosa. Those other woods I mentioned are more sappy then pine.

Pine also makes excellent kindling as it starts fast.

I say experiment and find out whether you like it.

I know there are different varieties of pine, so YMMV.

Save yourself some bucks, and use the wood.

Edit: I see that you mentioned it was still green. ALWAYS use seasoned wood.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Soft small woods to start, then hard to keep it going. Wait did I say that. Seriously like other said softwoods will build up creosote.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

1 edit

tschmidt to signmeuptoo94

MVM

to signmeuptoo94
There are two issues with burning Pine, it is less dense then hardwoods and it has a lot of Resin.

Assuming it is well seasoned (which yours is not) burning Pine is not a problem but you need to make sure fire does not get too hot or too cool. Because Pine is not very dense it tends to burn very hot, but only for a short period of time. On the other hand if fire is not hot enough volatiles will vaporize rather then burn in the stove. If chimney cools gas enough vapor condenses forming Creosote creating a potential fire hazard. Chimmney fires are to be avoided at all cost - that can be truely harrowing experiences.

I'd suggest cutting felled tree to stove length and split it. Store outside under a tarp until next year. Use a little at a time next year. Hat to waste free wood just be careful.

/tom

Radio Active
My pappy's a pistol
Premium Member
join:2003-01-31
Fullerton, CA

1 edit

Radio Active to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

What frustrates me is that my roomate is sometimes a Mr. Knowitall even when he doesn't know what he is talking about. He laughed at me when I told him it would cause creosote build up a few weeks ago, he made a face at me and got mad. Sometimes it is really hard living here, heh.
Tell him STFU and if he wants to pay for the wood, he may do so. But for safe heat, you should stand up and tell him what is what. Pine is sappy and soft. It has veins of sap that will not only create creosote in the flue but can also explode deposits of pitch which could throw embers out of the fireplace and start a fire in the living room. Of course, that's only if there is no screen in front of the fireplace.

Unseasoned (green)pine is worse. Stay away from it for at least one year. It won't burn properly. And, it's a bitch to split.

Or you could arrange for other living arrangements.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Pine wood is sappy and burns hot. It can lead to cresote buildup in your chimney which can increase the chances of a chimney fire.

Having said that, you can burn the pine a little bit at a time as long as you're using mostly good hardwood. The pine can be used as kindling, etc

eX_NihiLo
Here's Your Something For Nothing
Premium Member
join:2003-08-05
Louisville, CO

eX_NihiLo to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Tell him to call any chimney sweep and he'll be told the same thing. Pines build up creosote. Will your chimney be a fire hazard after burning a cord of pine? No, but it will accelerate how often you need to clean it to prevent it from being one.
Stumbles
join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Stumbles to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
From the sounds of it, the wood is really to green yet to burn, especially with pine. Best to let it set for a year or so. After that, depending on the type of stove you have, I would have no problem using it.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to jack b

to jack b
said by jack b:

This is good advice. I heated primarily with wood for 10-15 years, and pine is excellent for kindling, bad for mass burning (due to creosote and burning quickly).

If you're concerned about creosote buildup, let the fire really burn hot for an hour or so every couple days. Creosote deposits in chimneys and stovepipes will get solid and crack and fall, which is preferable to staying in place, building up, and catching fire.

mr_slick
join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA

mr_slick to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
pine is okay to burn.

green wood is not okay to burn.

as long as you have your chimney inspected and cleaned annually there is nothing to worry about.... unless you burn green wood

toplevelpot
Unlucky in women and cards
join:2008-04-19
Los Angeles, CA

toplevelpot to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
which brings up how long's it been since your chimney's been cleaned. Are you owning the house, or renting? The last places I lived that had fireplaces were both apts. and you NEVER got yer chimney sweeped (caveats: I lived in Cali all me life, and I'd assume the complex mgrs. being maybe similar, would be uninformed as I was at the time; in califonia fireplaces are more status/option than utilitarian unless yer high elevation).

manofsnow
@verizon.net

1 recommendation

manofsnow to signmeuptoo94

Anon

to signmeuptoo94

Get an oil burner.....and a new room mate.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

1 edit

RR Conductor to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Delete
RR Conductor

1 edit

RR Conductor to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
You might consider wood pellet stoves too, they burn VERY clean, hot and are a lot easier to use and maintain.

»www.woodpelletstoves.net/

They produce little smoke, which is a plus, especially in the winter with the inversion layers which can trap smoke like fog in low lying areas and valleys.
RR Conductor

2 edits

RR Conductor to toplevelpot

Premium Member

to toplevelpot
said by toplevelpot:

which brings up how long's it been since your chimney's been cleaned. Are you owning the house, or renting? The last places I lived that had fireplaces were both apts. and you NEVER got yer chimney sweeped (caveats: I lived in Cali all me life, and I'd assume the complex mgrs. being maybe similar, would be uninformed as I was at the time; in califonia fireplaces are more status/option than utilitarian unless yer high elevation).
Get outside the cities into rural areas of CA like here in Mendocino County in NorCal, and wood and pellet stoves are extensively used.
ChiTang
MVM
join:2002-08-23
Alhambra, CA

ChiTang to signmeuptoo94

MVM

to signmeuptoo94
For all its worth, a whole pine tree truck, $50.00 worth for heating bill at best. is it worth it?

minimeme
@charter.com

minimeme to manofsnow

Anon

to manofsnow
said by manofsnow :

Get an oil burner.....and a new room mate.
Get the new room mate!!

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Fireplace & Stove Safety, Burn Smart
»www.oregonfireplaces.com ··· fety.htm
quote:
Think "Fire Prevention"

1. Clear the area around the fireplace and chimney
2. Always use a fireplace screen
3. Never overload the fireplace
4. Keep a fire extinguisher on hand
5. When building a fire, place logs at the rear
6. Never leave fire unattended
7. Keep wood stacked, covered, and out-of-doors
8. Have your fireplace inspected annually

Think "Clean"

1. Have your fireplace inspected and cleaned annually
2. Choose the right fuel
3. Use seasoned wood
4. Burn smartly
5. Minimize creosote buildup
6. Make a fire that fits your fireplace
7. Keep your fireplace in good working condition
8. Read and follow the label when using firelogs
9. If your fireplace is equipped with glass doors, leave them open while burning a firelog

yuutomo
The Wonder Kitter
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Seeley Lake, MT

yuutomo to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
here in Montana, that's the major wood that is available to burn in firplaces, you have to cut it up and let it dry fully out to use it. if the chimmney has never been cleaned have it cleaned immediately and properly before use and if you use pine, during the winter have it checked and cleaned as needed.
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

ctggzg to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

He laughed at me when I told him it would cause creosote build up a few weeks ago, he made a face at me and got mad. Sometimes it is really hard living here, heh.
You weren't sure either. Otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question here, unless you're just ranting.

CatSnak
Live to Ride
Premium Member
join:2001-05-06
Ashland, OR

CatSnak to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
I grew up using fire places and we used to cut our own firewood up in southern Oregon. We usually used douglas fir and Pine as our primiary wood. Pine is perfectly safe to burn. Your tree however isn't until it's properly seasoned and cut. In essance you are both right. No reason why you can't take the tree split it up to proper size and store for next season.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

Oh pine is safe to use, but not as the sole fuel source.

tmh
@megapath.net

1 recommendation

tmh to signmeuptoo94

Anon

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

What frustrates me is that my roomate is sometimes a Mr. Knowitall even when he doesn't know what he is talking about. For instance: I am a LASER technologist among other things, and went to college for it, but he will argue about that topic with me even though he has little college and no LASER training.

You should remember the crede of the LASER technologist: never get frustrated just because someone makes a face at you and gets mad.

Instead, just use that 1KW X-ray LASER you're keeping under the bed and burn out his gonads when he's in the shower.

tmh

tempnexus
Premium Member
join:1999-08-11
Boston, MA

1 edit

tempnexus to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Damn after reading this I realized that I might be a pine..I am soft, sappy, and hot...but can only last a minute.

But yeah wood stove (if I picture it correctly) is the covered metal piece thing with no real opennings but the chimney (and the flap to add more wood). That should be safe from sparks, but you will have to clean the flume more often.
Fire place on the other hand is more dangerous since pine sparks like a firecracker and if your screen is a chainlink gate then some of it might bypass the three foot fireprooffloor and hit the carpet...it did at my house.
tempnexus

tempnexus to tmh

Premium Member

to tmh
said by tmh :

said by signmeuptoo94:

You should remember the crede of the LASER technologist: never get frustrated just because someone makes a face at you and gets mad.

Instead, just use that 1KW X-ray LASER you're keeping under the bed and burn out his gonads when he's in the shower.

tmh
Neah...just bypass the safety system in the microwave, bring it to the bathroom and turn it on when he is in the shower...I like my friends well done.