|reply to signmeuptoo |
Re: Is it unsafe to burn Pine in wood stove?
There are two issues with burning Pine, it is less dense then hardwoods and it has a lot of Resin.
Assuming it is well seasoned (which yours is not) burning Pine is not a problem but you need to make sure fire does not get too hot or too cool. Because Pine is not very dense it tends to burn very hot, but only for a short period of time. On the other hand if fire is not hot enough volatiles will vaporize rather then burn in the stove. If chimney cools gas enough vapor condenses forming Creosote creating a potential fire hazard. Chimmney fires are to be avoided at all cost - that can be truely harrowing experiences.
I'd suggest cutting felled tree to stove length and split it. Store outside under a tarp until next year. Use a little at a time next year. Hat to waste free wood just be careful.