fatmanskinny
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Wandering
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Digital ..

Could you bond two DSL lines?

We are starting to see the limitations of our 6MB/512k business DSL line. We need more upload.

Is it possible to get two DSL lines and bond them together for faster download / upload? If so, how would you do this?

Thanks.
--
God saved me from myself! Thank you, Lord, in the Name of Jesus!

FAQFixer
Premium
join:2004-06-28
Powder Springs, GA
kudos:1

It is technically possible and actually simple, but it requires a DSLAM and CPE that can bond. At this time it is not being offered and is not available to customers.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
reply to fatmanskinny

Bonding is not currently possible. You can load balance across two lines, but that is not the same as bonding. Load balancing still might be good enough for you, so long as you know what the difference is and what your current limitations are.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to fatmanskinny

FAQ: »Networking Forum FAQ »What are some of the dual WAN routers available?

»Networking Forum FAQ seems to have gone blank.

D-link has a dual WAN router I found people talking about:
DI-LB604 > 4-Port Load Balancing Router
www.dlink.com/products/?pid=452&sec=0

I don't have any experience with the Dual WAN routers. I considered it in the past, but I realized I did not need it.

fatmanskinny
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Wandering
reply to graysonf

Doh. What is the difference between load balancing and bonding? I thought they were one in the same.
--
God saved me from myself! Thank you, Lord, in the Name of Jesus!

FAQFixer
Premium
Powder Springs, GA

1 edit

Bonding is combining two pairs (or more) for one single connection. Load balancing is using two separate pairs and two separate connections and balancing traffic between them.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to fatmanskinny

»Networking Forum FAQ »What's the difference between load-balancing and circuit bonding/

FAQFixer
Premium
Powder Springs, GA

Dang...I should have known there was an FAQ!

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to fatmanskinny

The OP said they need faster upload. It doesn't sound like load balancing does that.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by heat84:

The OP said they need faster upload. It doesn't sound like load balancing does that.
He didn't say that a single client needs more upload. It might be that that's what's happening, but he didn't say it.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

3 edits
reply to fatmanskinny

said by fatmanskinny:

Doh. What is the difference between load balancing and bonding? I thought they were one in the same.
Depending on the application (and the router), load balancing may also work as a psuedo bonding. I have load balanced AT&T 3552/384 and Covad 1536/384 circuits using a Linksys RV082 dual WAN router, and for the most part I see more than 384 kbps upload speed, and 3552 download speed. It primarily depends upon whether or not the application(s) will use multiple sessions.

Here is a load balanced Speakeasy speed test result I just took (there was also other activity on another PC occurring while this test was done):

Here is a Speakeasy speedtest from the same PC, but forced to use only the AT&T circuit:

Here is a Speakeasy speedtest from the same PC, but forced to use only the Covad circuit:

Here is a sample of some of the other activity that was happening while the above speed tests were running:

FYI: I used to use a D-Link DI-LB604, but it did not perform as well as the Linksys RV082, and it was also somewhat unstable. I do not recommend anyone using the D-Link DI-LB604.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Test your firewall.
Smell the flowers.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to fatmanskinny

Yes it is **POSSIBLE** but AT&T does not support the require MLPPP that is required on their end to support it.

You might be able to find a 3rd party ISP that does, but AT&T does not sell the 6.0 product wholesale because they are not legally required to. They sell the 3.0mbps wholesale so you would need 4 3.0 lines to match the speed of 2 6.0 lines.

AT&T wants you to buy their metro Ethernet product instead. I am also pretty sure that you can get bonded T1 from AT&T, but that costs about 10-15x per month more than 6.0 DSL and you would need 4 just to match the speed of 1 6.0 line (but then you would have 6.0 down / 6.0 up which might solve your upload speed issues).

If you need just upload capacity might want to look at 2x bonded T1 from a 3rd party ISP, will probably run $800-900 total for both lines and should be 0 setup or equipment if you go for a 2yr agreement with most providers.
--
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Expand your moderator at work

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA
reply to fatmanskinny

Re: Could you bond two DSL lines?

Hey fatmanskinny See Profile,

Have you looked into a T1? Thing is I've had a customer use three 6 meg DSL lines on a segmented network who was much happier when I finally convinced him to go T1. Truth is you probably rarely used all 6 megs of your 6 meg DSL, most usesrs don't, but it is nice to have. The biggest difference between a DSL and a T1 is the latency, which is the true measure of what most people really perceive as "speed" or how fast a webpage pops up on their browser, because most web pages aren't 6 megs, most aren't even a meg. PM me and we can talk about it.

Try This

@sbcglobal.net
reply to fatmanskinny

AT$T Offers Business DSL Customers Multiple Choices For Upload and Download speeds. I believe there is an option for 1024 on the upload side. Call your friendly AT&T rep and ask. It sounds to be a much cheaper solution than what has been suggested in this thread. Hope this helps!

bogey7806

join:2004-03-19
Here
reply to joako

If he wants to bond 2 6.0s for upload a single T1 would do it. Cost would probably be double or triple DSL though.

As mentioned prior. AT&T(Bellsouth) has(had?) a business package for upload use. It's 1024/768 though last I checked. That load balanced with a 6.0 would be terrific.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

said by bogey7806:

If he wants to bond 2 6.0s for upload a single T1 would do it. Cost would probably be double or triple DSL though.

As mentioned prior. AT&T(Bellsouth) has(had?) a business package for upload use. It's 1024/768 though last I checked. That load balanced with a 6.0 would be terrific.
But that is also about $220, with a 6 meg at $110, assuming he doesn't have some bundled discounts, he is looking at T1 prices with those two DSL and still have bad latency.

You're making the river wider, but it isn't flowing any faster.

bogey7806

join:2004-03-19
Here

But if all he's doing is sending emails and uploading files...it's not that bad for DSL. If it was FTP, VPN, or RTP apps that would be different.