how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

flexnix

join:2008-10-30
Miami, FL

Westell 6100 or Motorola 2210?

I just had AT&T send me a Motorola 2210 today due to a screw up they made. Long story.

So I'm wondering which modem to stay with, the Westell 6100 right now is working just fine. Wondering if there is any benefit going to the Motorola 2210?

All I've read about the 2210 is that it gets HOT!

Thanks in advance,
Randy P.
Miami, FL

mikes60
My Paradise
Premium
join:2001-07-31
Boynton Beach, FL
If it aint broke, don't fix it.
--
No good deed goes unpunished.

flexnix

join:2008-10-30
Miami, FL
I knew someone would say that.

mikes60
My Paradise
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
All you have to do is read through this forum and look at all the people having "modem" problems.

If your 6100 is working and delivering what it is supposed to, why look for trouble.
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to flexnix
said by flexnix:

I knew someone would say that.
On the other hand, if AT&T sent you the 2210 at no charge, and they are not expecting the 6100 to be returned, keep the 2210 as an emergency backup because Mr Murphy is always on the job and as soon as you return either one, the one you keep will go belly up.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Test your firewall.
Smell the flowers.

mikes60
My Paradise
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
Agreed, I certainly didn't mean to send back a free modem.

I still have at least 3 old- but working- modems in my closet, just in case.....
--

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast
reply to flexnix
I will dissent. I too received a free Motorola 2210 and put it away in favor of my Westell 6100, which had given me no special problems. But one day, my curiosity got the better of me and I swapped them out. My experience has been a more stable connection with better connection stats since switching to the 2210. YMMV, of course.

Tim
--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to flexnix
If you sync at the full speed for your service and don't notice any connections dropping, leave what is working.

Keep the new modem you got as a backup (e.g. suddenly you have connection issues you can avoid getting the run-around by letting the friendly agent at AT&T know you have two modems and both have the same problems).
--
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast
said by joako:

If you sync at the full speed for your service and don't notice any connections dropping, leave what is working.

I agree with that. My 6100 dropped the connection up to several times, daily. It also would occasionally suffer with slow connections. None of that ever happens since I switched to the 2210, so I just concluded that it is a better modem. Maybe it is not necessarily so.

Tim
--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~