how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON

Rogers Home Networking Gateway - am I reading this right ?

Am I reading this right ? Is Rogers saying that we don't need a router if you get their Networking Gateway ?
Is their Gateway a router in any way, does it provide any type of router or wireless security functionality ?

"Wireless Home Networking - Share one Internet connection with multiple computers! Share files, printers, networked gaming modules and much more! No need to have a separate router attached to your Cable modem.Our Home Networking gateway is a convenient, two-in-one device that provides you with instant connectivity and fast, wireless access! Rent it for $4.50/month or purchase it for $149.95 plus taxes."
--
It's all... part of the plan.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

Why would I give Robbers 4.5 month or $150 for thier gateway?

I bought the Dlink DIR-655 Xtreme N series Wireless router for $120, which I'm sure is a much better solution then theirs

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON

said by elwoodblues:

I bought the Dlink DIR-655 Xtreme N series Wireless router for $120, which I'm sure is a much better solution then theirs
Yea but it's still a router, I can't believe that even Rogers would tell customers that they don't need a router and to go with an unsecured wireless gateway instead.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13

It's because they are trying to be COMPETITIVE. Bell offers wireless gateways, so people have been asking Rogers for them. 1 box, cheaper than a modem to rent and the same cost to buy a modem and a router. Needs less desk space/floor space.

anon66666666

@rogers.com
reply to Stewy

router lifetimes can be 1 year to 3 years. the rental is replaced for free. it does have benefits to the average user. Not the high end user. It also means they have to support it. No more having to disconnect your router and go direct to pc on every tech issue. No more crutch in other words for tech support.

rudeboy24

join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Start Communicat..
·Cogeco Cable

if rogers offers support for the router/modem then this is good for less advanced users ..they will be able to get help without rogers telling them to call the router manufacture. but more advanced users most likely figure out the problem if its rogers or there own LAN (switches/router).

Anon123456789

@rogers.com
reply to Stewy

said by Stewy:

Yea but it's still a router, I can't believe that even Rogers would tell customers that they don't need a router and to go with an unsecured wireless gateway instead.
Ummm, there IS security on it...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to rudeboy24

They don't offer support.
One my users here at the office (despite my objections) rented one of those SMC Wireless gateways, when they called Robbers for support , they were told to call SMC

KraZe9

join:2008-06-03
North York, ON

Depends on what type of support you're looking for.

Connectivity is what they'll do, both wired and Wireless, as well as setting up the SSID and encryption settings. More advanced settings (such as port forwarding) are directed to SMC.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

Port Forwarding is not a "advanced setting". This is a product they sell/rent,they better well be able to provide support.

KraZe9

North York, ON

elwoodblues, to someone who knows what they're doing, it's not advanced. To someone that doesn't even understand what Port Forwarding is, it's advanced.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

You mean to most of rogers front line techs and email techs!

Quake110
Premium
join:2003-12-20
Ottawa, ON
reply to Stewy

I've seen those units, it's a SBC Cable Modem/Wireless Router.

KraZe9

North York, ON
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

You mean to most of rogers front line techs and email techs!
2/3 - 3/4 of them, you're probably right.

tj_blues

join:2007-08-17
Mississauga, ON

1 edit
reply to KraZe9

I witnessed of such thing. They just transfer a call to SMC trained tech. 5 mnins of listening boring music on phone and next 10 mnis - problem solved Not so bad.
--
In a World without fences and walls,
who needs Gates and Windows?

tj_blues

join:2007-08-17
Mississauga, ON
reply to elwoodblues

Don't be confused with $4.50 - if you are renting Rogers DOCSIS modem you are paying $3.00 (I'm not sure of those charges). So you going to pay $1.50 more for nice and strong WiFi router. They will walk you through set up an encryption, security and so on. One contact number, thats what you need.
--
In a World without fences and walls,
who needs Gates and Windows?

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to Quake110

said by Quake110:

SMC I think you mean. SBC is the old name for AT&T in the US ... used to be Southern Bell.

Quake110
Premium
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

This Unit
said by sbrook:

said by Quake110:

SMC I think you mean. SBC is the old name for AT&T in the US ... used to be Southern Bell.
Yeah SMC, my bad.

»www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=view···pid=1505

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to sbrook

What I'd like to know, can this SMC modem/router support an external 3rd party router properly, not thru double NAT? Sort of like a DSL modem in bridge mode, for those who are familiar with how that works...

My guess is probably not.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

Quake110
Premium
Ottawa, ON

said by HiVolt:

What I'd like to know, can this SMC modem/router support an external 3rd party router properly, not thru double NAT? Sort of like a DSL modem in bridge mode, for those who are familiar with how that works...

My guess is probably not.
A friend of mine has it, I'm gonna check.