spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Chuckdez

@cox.net

DIR-655 reboots when using wireless.

I see this topic all over the place. My router does the same also. I flashed every revision of the firmware also, this was painful. Works great with the wireless disabled. I've tried every wireless combination. Disabled all features on the router. No luck it constantly reboots until I disabled the wireless. I verify the router resets by looking in the router log. Also my 3 laptops, XBOX 360, Wii, and desktop all lose connectivity. I contacted D-LINK support, of course they gave me some retarded response like run anti-virus on your PC. It doesn't get any better than this.

Does anyone have a fix for this? Please don't give me the flash twice and reboot twice non-sense.

eots

join:2003-02-04
What hardware version is your DIR-655? I have an A1 and have never had any reboot issues using the wireless regardless of the firmware version, I'm currently using 1.21 with no wireless issues. I'd have to assume there's a hardware problem with your router and if it's in warranty get D-Link to replace it.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
reply to Chuckdez
said by Chuckdez :

Does anyone have a fix for this?
Return for refund or replacement -- your unit is fried. If you can't, then on Advanced Wireless, try turning the transmit power to Low and/or opening the unit and make sure that all metal casings are seated well (it's kinda hard to screw that up, since if they're loose they're likely really loose or off).
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
More features, more fun, Join BroadbandReports.com, it's free...

Chuckdez

@cox.net
Well my previous router died and cable modem died. I bought a new router and my cable company took a long time to resolve my cable problems. Once my cable was straightened out it and I had figured out my new router was bad it was already past the 30 day return period of the router.

I've tried low power setting and checked the internal connections including re-seating the internal mini-pci wireless adapter.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA
That is the extent of what you can do hardware wise,

Software wise, the only thing you can do is eliminate the chance of corruption -- using the process you don't like --

Restore to factory default
Reboot twice
Overlay fresh firmware
Reboot twice
then Test

If the router fails at this point, since you've already done what you can on the hardware side, there remains nothing you can do with the device.

You can call D-Link and ask for a replacement.
--

Chuckdez

@cox.net
Yeah that's the problem. They have me chasing down a rabbit hole saying it's virus problems.

Chuckdez

@cox.net
reply to funchords
I've held the reset button 10 seconds(until it users defaults and resets the unit.)
Flashed the unit with 1.21.
Held the reset button 10 seconds.
Used the unit with the defaults, not even logging into the unit. Just using the wide open dlink ssid.
It still reboots randomly on the wireless.

Reinvent3d

join:2004-12-06
Camarillo, CA
When it loses wireless, do the logs show that it's being "deauthenticated" ?

What are your wireless settings that you are using?

And what adapter are you using? And what wireless encryption are you using?

Chuckdez

@cox.net
It looks like the normal startup. Like you just turned it on.

Start of log....
No Internet access policy is in effect. Unrestricted Internet access allowed to everyone.

I've tried all wireless settings. Including the defaults, dlink ssid with no encryption.

Also, here is my wireless NICs
Dell laptop with Dell 1390 B/G
Toshiba laptop with Intel 2945 A/B/G
Asus eeePC900 with Atheros B/G
Nintendo Wii
Xbox 360 with usb A/B/G adapter

All units lose wireless simultaneously. It's not one unit deauthenticating. I even tried using each device independently. Yes I powered off all the others and verified in the access point they were not associated.

Reinvent3d

join:2004-12-06
Camarillo, CA
So, you ARE receiving the deauthentication message?

Sometimes it takes the right combination of settings to get it to stop.

They recommend changing some of the Advanced Wireless Settings.

RTS Threshold and Fragmentation Threshold - 2100
Beacon Period - 80

See if that helps, while it's on channel 11, Best rate. Mixed N and G.

Auto WPA/WPA2.
and TKIP/AES and see what happens.

Hopefully it works for you.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA
said by Reinvent3d:

while it's on channel 11
Channel changing makes sense if the device thinks that it's picking up radar or dead carrier on its assigned channel. It's supposed to reboot in that case.

Chuckdez

@cox.net
The makes no sense. Why would they design it to reboot under certain conditions?

Anyways, my router works fine if I leave the admin password blank. I entered a password and the problems started up again. I'm leaving it blank for now. I'll never buy cheap dlink again.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA
said by Chuckdez :

The makes no sense. Why would they design it to reboot under certain conditions?
Two reasons:

1. ...Because if it's picking up radar or dead carrier, then the channel is in use. It reboots in order to shift to another channel (if you have channel auto-selection on). I'm not sure if it was an FCC regulation or if other countries required it, but Wi-Fi is a secondary user of bandwidth in many jurisdictions and this feature was probably required.

2. ...Because if it's picking up a hot signal but not getting data, then a process may be hung. It reboots in order to restart all the processes. That's a common feature in embedded systems and servers called a "watchdog." It's intended to make a system at least somewhat available when the alternative is to just go offline.
--

tipstir

join:2004-11-14
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:1
reply to Chuckdez
If you got the version with A3 it now comes with 1.11 firmware. I would recommend you using that version until you have the router stable with all your network settings. If you don't have an issue keep that version and run it. Reflashing to the next version I don't recommend until DLINK has confirm it's not beta. Just way to many issues. Some have more issue then others. Not everyone going to be using this wireless router the same. That's why some here don't have issues then others do. Everyone not using the same wireless G, N internal external, PCMICA cards and etc. Still it shouldn't matter but to play it safe I would stick with 1.11.

If you get a new router and it works within 48 hours to 7 days of non-stop operation then you pretty much go a good working.

Chuckdez

@boeing.com
reply to funchords
The wifi can change channels without rebooting. Have you looked at the frequencies that radar uses? B/G/N uses 2.4ghz which is not close to the K/Ka bands used by police. Your shooting at the stars with these claims.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar#Frequency_bands

Like I mentioned before leaving the Admin password empty fixed the reboot problems.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 edit
said by Chuckdez :

Your shooting at the stars with these claims.
Thank you. I really appreciate that.

I am shooting at stars in debugging your device -- I have no earthly idea. Hardware fails. These devices have a 1 year warranty. Call Technical Support, get an RMA. HTH. Yours seems like it's failed radio hardware. Why leaving the password blank fixes anything is beyond my understanding.

I'm not shooting at stars as to Radar or stuck-open xmitters. I've seen the code for other Wi-Fi devices. I know that the DIR-655 has the AR5008E-3NX chipset and complies with 802.11h which does -- wait for it -- radar avoidance.

Again, I'm not saying your issue radar, or that radar is used on those frequencies in your area -- radar detection can be tripped by a hung computer near you with a software wi-fi stack -- putting out a dead carrier. It could be non-wifi in source -- these are shared. But it could be the radar-avoidance code being triggered by receiving a dead carrier or failed hardware.

I don't know if the DIR-655 reboots to implement channel-changing (I agree with you that that it shouldn't have to). I do know that previous D-Link AP products (such as the DI-500/600/700 family) did reboot the unit in hopes that the random channel selection would pick a clearer one upon restart.
--

ratts

join:2003-11-20
Springfield, IL

1 edit
reply to Chuckdez
all my wired desktop computers have gig network devices with loads of advanced settings in device manager. i had to shut off checksum offload, flow control, segmentation offload to get stable networking between wired and wireless. if i enable those settings then wireless pc's are nearly invisible to wired and vice versa.

getting your network running right is (in my instances past and present) never just plug and play. loads of tweakings from router to device advance settings tweakings are ALWAYS needed. takes time and patience...

good luck.

ps. although i didnt have these issues....could be a junk router.

tipstir

Boca Raton, FL
Odd you have to change those setting for your network to work in environment of wired and wireless. Wireless on my end from the DIR-655 to WHR-HP-G54 (WAP using DD-WRT) to WHR-HP-G54 (WAP using DD-WRT) second floor. All 100mbps connects goes to one external 100mbps along with the WAP. Gig traffic goes to external gig switch. Never had to changes flow control. Though you might want to check master browser settings as only one system should be the master browser and the rest are not.

ratts

join:2003-11-20
Springfield, IL
said by tipstir:

Odd you have to change those setting for your network to work in environment of wired and wireless. Wireless on my end from the DIR-655 to WHR-HP-G54 (WAP using DD-WRT) to WHR-HP-G54 (WAP using DD-WRT) second floor. All 100mbps connects goes to one external 100mbps along with the WAP. Gig traffic goes to external gig switch. Never had to changes flow control. Though you might want to check master browser settings as only one system should be the master browser and the rest are not.
come to think of it, i did see in event viewer (have to check which computer) on one of the computers stating errors on this master browser stuff. hmmm. thanx, have to check into this. always had this problem with my nvidia gig network on my nforce3 motherboard. i just bought a new system with realtek pci-e gig and was going to use this old nf3 board as a server.

ps. sorry i hijacked this thread over this issue.........

tipstir

Boca Raton, FL
Use this file... »files.filefront.com/tipstir2008e···nfo.html

password protected - 2008 or tip2008
I've provided all the tools and scripts you need to fix your problem. There are readme files to aid you.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to tipstir
MS Browsing is almost always the issue. Waiting 15 minutes is almost always the solution. Disabling the browsing service in systems that are frequently offline (like laptops) is my preferred "BKM" practice. I leave the Browser service enabled on the rest and let them vote.

(For a single empty nester, why do I have so many damned computers?)