uniqs

Mercurybird
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
Hooks, TX

Mercurybird to nu2this

Premium Member

to nu2this

Re: Energy Drink Chart. Red Bull, Monster, Sex Drive...

No one who drinks these things is going to give a salad or a bottle of water a second glance.

Who even knows what some of those ingredients are or what they do to your system over the long haul. Just because it's sold on the open market doesn't mean it's good for you.

Drinking that stuff, at least the sex drive drink, is gambling with your health in some minor way, seems to me. Might as well smoke blunts too while you're at it. Again, blunts would be gambling with your health too.
DMWCincy
join:2004-04-27
Fairfield, OH

DMWCincy

said by Mercurybird:

Drinking that stuff, at least the sex drive drink, is gambling with your health in some minor way, seems to me. Might as well smoke blunts too while you're at it. Again, blunts would be gambling with your health too.
Isn't some energy drinks illegal to sell in some places in Europe? Seem to remember a few kids dropping over from drinking a few of them before a soccer game leaving them over dehydrated.

As mention eat better and drink H2O.

fcisler
Premium Member
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY

fcisler to Mercurybird

Premium Member

to Mercurybird
said by Mercurybird:

No one who drinks these things is going to give a salad or a bottle of water a second glance.
Wow, that's a broad generalization. I try and eat at least one or two large bowls of salad a week, thank you.
said by Mercurybird:

Who even knows what some of those ingredients are or what they do to your system over the long haul. Just because it's sold on the open market doesn't mean it's good for you.
The same can be said for every commercial drug on the shelves right now. Whats your point?
said by Mercurybird:

Wow....very apples to apples comparison. Oh wait - marijuana is illegal. So no, it's not the same thing. I can't even fathom how someone would provide this comparison.

I guess you've never been tired at work? Every once and a while when I'm feeling sluggish at work, I'll drink a Monster. It's good for around 4+ hours of a little kick. There's also another alternate effect - In about 4 1/2 - 5hrs, you "crash". IOW: If I drink it at around noon, by the time I get home I can lay down and take a nap. It's not gonna keep me up all night. That's me, though. I know other people who it WILL keep up all night.

To the OP: Which monster? There's green, blue, yellow, orange, purple, and assault. There's also irish, white russian, and several others... I haven't heard of sex drive, but I'll go try it now.

graycorgi
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23

graycorgi

Premium Member

said by fcisler:

Wow....very apples to apples comparison. Oh wait - marijuana is illegal. So no, it's not the same thing. I can't even fathom how someone would provide this comparison.
Y'know, I just might say that marijuana is more healthy than these energy drinks.

That's not to say that the energy drinks are unhealthy though. I drink them all the time, there is nothing wrong with them unless you're drinking 12 of them a day. And in that case, the problem is with you and not the energy drink
said by Mercurybird:

This is an example of where things that are safe are blasted as being unsafe (energy drinks) by people reading studies done by stores selling 100% "natural" products, or "alternative" energy drinks like 5 hour energy and mostly by people who do not drink energy drinks.

There are plenty of other more dangerous things out there. Look at all those lawyer sponsored commercials "This is a medical alert! If you or a loved one took ________ you may be entitled to monetary compensation! Call lawyerscumgroup at 1-123-123-1234 today!" now fill in that blank with many supposedly safe prescription drugs that people found out weren't so safe. This is just one example of many where things that are supposedly safe aren't. Learn your facts.

BTW I still want to see SoBe No-Fear on that chart. Rockstar sugarfree, rockstar, sobe no-fear sugar free, amp, etc all the other popular ones should be up there too for a fair comparison.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

You right graycorgi See Profile, there is no evidence whatsoever that energy drinks are bad.

It's not the caffeine or sugars that are all that bad for you (although that can be debated) it's the other additives that have never thoroughly been tested.

Mercurybird
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
Hooks, TX

1 edit

Mercurybird to fcisler

Premium Member

to fcisler
>Wow, that's a broad generalization. I try and eat at least one or two large bowls of salad a week, thank you.

We try to eat a couple of salads a week too. But we're dieting and exercising so we can slim up and get in shape. But if we drank one of those drinks every day we could kiss the slimming up part goodbye.

>The same can be said for every commercial drug on the shelves right now. Whats your point?

But there are standards for food and medicine. Acceptable standards that are meant to keep us generally safe. That's what civil laws are all about- I don't have the right to gamble with your health and well being to make a buck. I just don't trust all these designer drink outfits to careful enough. I may be naive here, but I don't think so.

>Wow....very apples to apples comparison. Oh wait - marijuana is illegal. So no, it's not the same thing. I can't even fathom how someone >would provide this comparison.

I wasn't talking about pot. I'm talking about those hand rolled cigarettes made in sweatshops in India that are just a regular cigarette made with unregulated contents.

EDIT:=====================================================

Hmmm... what not to do when quoting. I'm gonna have to work on that.

james16
join:2001-02-26

1 edit

james16

said by Mercurybird:

I wasn't talking about pot. I'm talking about those hand rolled cigarettes made in sweatshops in India that are just a regular cigarette made with unregulated contents.
FYI: if you ask someone for a "Blunt" or if they want to "go smoke a blunt" 99% of people in the modern western world will think you're talking about pot. As far as it referring (lol refer) to tobacco, that's an antiquated term.
emptywig
Huh? What?
Premium Member
join:2002-08-05
Pasadena, TX

emptywig to Mercurybird

Premium Member

to Mercurybird
said by Mercurybird:

>

Those are called bidis.

wig

Energy Drunk
@91.194.85.x

1 recommendation

Energy Drunk to fcisler

Anon

to fcisler
said by fcisler:

I guess you've never been tired at work? Every once and a while when I'm feeling sluggish at work, I'll drink a Monster.
No offense intended, but the above statement is exactly why I find the whole "energy drink" phenomenon so fascinating yet deeply disturbing at the same time.

If someone is feeling tired or sluggish, there's a reason why they are feeling that way. Are they eating properly? Getting enough sleep? Simply trying to do too much? There's a specific reason why it is they feel the way that they do.

Of course, it's only fair to admit that examining one's habits and way of living is a total pain in the ass because closer examination could well mean that they'd need to be changed. Far easier, instead, to pound down an energy drink and pretend that everything is A-OK with your body when, no, it isn't.
said by fcisler:

It's good for around 4+ hours of a little kick. There's also another alternate effect - In about 4 1/2 - 5hrs, you "crash". `
When someone feels tired or sluggish, that's a sign that their body is wearing down and they need to rest to get their energy back. When they drink an energy drink, all they're likely doing is ignoring the symptoms of a larger problem.

Of course, I don't own your body any more than you own mine, which means that only you can decide what is best for yours. And I suppose that treating symptoms, rather than addressing the underlying problem, is exactly why the energy drinks biz is as lucrative as it is. If everyone was eating right, getting enough sleep, and paying attention to the cues their body gives them (e.g. feeling tired means you need to rest) the energy drinks people would likely be out of business.

Downing an energy drink if it's an emergency and you have no choice but to keep going is one thing. But I have a hard time believing just how many people slam those drinks down on a near-constant basis. I mean, wow. @_@

Since caffeine is a key ingedient in these drinks, I'm surpised that no one has commented on the effects of caffeine on blood vessels. If anyone cares, it constricts them. No bad thing every now and again, but is this really something you want to do as a habit just so you can get through the day?

Your body is not a beater car that you can just treat any-old-how. You have to change the oil regularly, (eat right) bring it into the shop, (get enough sleep) and, most importantly, not pour any old liquid into the gas tank if you expect it to keep going.

(You do want it to keep going, right?)

fcisler
Premium Member
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY

fcisler

Premium Member

I normally won't indulge an anonymous poster, but i'll bite.
said by Energy Drunk :

If someone is feeling tired or sluggish, there's a reason why they are feeling that way. Are they eating properly? Getting enough sleep? Simply trying to do too much? There's a specific reason why it is they feel the way that they do.
Are you wealthy? Do you have a job? Ever had more than one job? Of course there's a reason I feel tired - It's because I am! Wow...what a realization.

Now what can I do? I could sleep...but I have to work. So therein is the dilemma. The product meets my requirements. It's not the best idea, but when it comes between drinking an energy drink - or losing money - wanna guess which I'll chose?

And to the original person I replied to - do you really think that the drug companies care a DROP about you?

Look up the statistics about how many people die a year from Tylenol. Look at how many people have EVER died from marijuana. Not that i'm condoning it....but do you see what years of development and selling us even simple drugs like Tylenol have accomplished? People still die from it...

How about this...

When I was younger, I was on a strong medicine for acne. There were warnings that it could depress you and my parents were told to make sure that I didn't "start to go suicidal". I kid you not. I was fine and the medicine did help greatly.

Now you need to register on a website along with the doctor and pharmacy. You need to answer questionnaires. These steps were taken because too many kids did commit suicide. The companies KNEW that it could cause clinical depression....but only acted and enforced these restrictions once the death toll rose high enough. Want to know what the "questionnaire" they asked me was? "You are a male patient and cannot be pregnant, so we do not need to do any tests". Did they care? no!