spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bvgd
@mc.videotron.ca

bvgd

Anon

[DISH] finding 110 and 119 ?

Does someone know where i can find what angle i have to install the dish based on my location ?

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

»www.antennaweb.org/aw/Ad ··· ess.aspx

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

dbmaven

Mod

Antennaweb does terrestrial analog and digital stations. Doesn't help for satellite based dish aiming.

If the satellite dish is for DISH Network, see this link:
»www.dishnetwork.com/down ··· gles.pdf

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

crap - I thought it did both...

My apologies to the OP for any confusion.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to bvgd

MVM

to bvgd
Depending on your exact location, this should get you close. If you are using individual dishes for 110 and 119, you'll have to aim the separately obviously. If you are using a Dish 500 or other dual LNB dish, split the difference of the values.

bvgd
@mc.videotron.ca

bvgd to bvgd

Anon

to bvgd
im using a dish 500 and im located in montreal , canada so the closest would be plattsburgh or burlington but even with that the coordinates are different.

boig
@bell.ca

boig to bvgd

Anon

to bvgd
Hi , im also having trouble but the trouble im encountering is that i don't know on which side i should have the lnb's here's what i got :

The first picture is the skew (rotation) side i have to rotate to while being on the back , with this one i suppose the lnb would be on the right side of me when being in front of it. Also my skew goes from 0 to 180 so i suppose i have to do 180 - 77.3 which give me 122.7 ?

The second picture is while being in front of the dish i have to rotate to + 34.9 so it should give me 124.9 by doing 180 - 34.9.

I don't know if doing this the good way , sorry for being it song long and sorry for hijacking your thread bvgd , i would just like to get some feedback on if im doing it wrong or not.

thanks
Expand your moderator at work
boig

boig to bvgd

Anon

to bvgd

Re: [DISH] finding 110 and 119 ?

Here is the first picture :

»img296.imageshack.us/my. ··· 1fk3.jpg

here is the second one :

»img265.imageshack.us/my. ··· fji4.jpg
Expand your moderator at work
boig

boig to bvgd

Anon

to bvgd

Re: [DISH] finding 110 and 119 ?

Here is the first picture :

here is the second one :

boig

boig to bvgd

Anon

to bvgd
Forgot to mention im also using a dish 500.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

2 edits

1 recommendation

Hayward0 to bvgd

Premium Member

to bvgd
said by bvgd :

im using a dish 500 and im located in montreal , canada so the closest would be plattsburgh or burlington but even with that the coordinates are different.
Burlington (lived there and went to Montreal often so know the physical relationship) should be maybe be a hair more azmuth east but likely nearly the same elevation a couple/few degrees lower if anything though. Skew likely not a lot different either. If you can lock on one but not the other at same time then play with skew. As only slightly west of Burlington. If I have my physics right might need to be rotated slightly right... but might be left of Burlington setting.

Thing is be sure you leave dish in one spot long enough to lock up (like at least 30 sec for each try.)

Also the mast being absolutly plumb (straigt vertical) is VERY inportant especially that far north... for with the low angles things can shift a lot for being just a little off.

bvgd
@bell.ca

bvgd to bvgd

Anon

to bvgd
thanks

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium Member
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

wings10 to bvgd

Premium Member

to bvgd
Just enter your zip code into the DISH receiver and it will tell you.

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium Member
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY

1 edit

PCInTech to bvgd

Premium Member

to bvgd
For Dish 500, 110/119 from Montreal, QC.

True Azimuth: 230.29
Magn. Azimuth: 245.39

(Magnetic azimuth should be used when using an uncorrected compass.)

Dish Elevation: 24.09

Skew Angle: 119.9

And, as Hayward said, BE SURE that your mast is absolutely PLUMB. Us a good level to verify.

bvgd
@bell.ca

bvgd to bvgd

Anon

to bvgd
thanks for answering , im encoutering one last problem the dish is an eleptical one and the bracket is a 3 lnb one and on it it's written 119,110,101 (from left to right) that's when im standing in the back of the antenna so i don't it know if it's 119,110,101 or 101,110,119 (that's always while being in the back of the antenna)?

Also the skew numbers are from 40 to 140 (again from left to right and always standing behing the dish) and they are not vertical like the dish one , the one i have is horizontal so i don't know how it work

here's a picture of it

»www.trangobroadband.com/ ··· big2.jpg

, if i take the skew angle PCintech gave of 119.9 what would be the number of the skew of my dish ?

thanks

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

4 edits

1 recommendation

Hayward0

Premium Member

As stated skew would be 119.9 or effectively just hair short of 120. With a 3 LNB dish skew is very critical as that is what aligns the sat arc line to you position.

When you find them peak azmuth and elev for 110, then fine tune skew to optimize 101 and 119 equally. if centered on 110 skew shouldn't effect that one much, but balance 101 and 119 signal levels.

Position in space looking up is L-R 101, 110, 119.... but the LNBs are looking across center line (110) by an equal angle so the LNB positions for 101 and 119 are reversed. Right LNB looking across center to sat on left of 110, so 101, etc.

PCInTech
Premium Member
Massena, NY

PCInTech

Premium Member

What he said. LOL

bvgd
@bell.ca

bvgd to bvgd

Anon

to bvgd
ok thanks , when you say this : Position in space looking up is L-R 101, 110, 119.... : this mean when im standing in the back of the antenna (sorry my english is not to good).

Also does this mean with the dish i have the setting for the 500 doesn't apply to me ?
bvgd

bvgd to bvgd

Anon

to bvgd
Another thing do i have to put the lnbs on 110 and 119 or 101 ?
bvgd

bvgd to bvgd

Anon

to bvgd
ok thanks , il do that.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

4 edits

Hayward0 to bvgd

Premium Member

to bvgd
OK I'll try this one more time 101 and 119 LNBs are reversed (vs how they appear in the sky) because they aim at the center... but look at equal offset angle to the other side only 110 is straight on centered echo sighting. (look up the nature of parabolas) Also why eliptical... vertical not a real issue but to get that horizantal offset you need the elipse where as original 2 LNB DISH 500 could get by with circular dish but aiming trickier.
Aiming at an imaginary sat between 110 and 119 and then skew balancing the two.

With 9 degree eqauly spaced sats off 110 you can center that and then more easily skew balance adjust 101 and 119. So actually a 3 LNB is easier to non instrument align than a 2 LNB.

As far as DISH 500 numbers should be close enough... again find 110 and peak that then skew balance 101 and 119.

And again especially that far north (because magnifying error low look angle... vs more straight up like way down here) be sure mast is ABSOLUTELY 3D (vertical twice measured at 90 deg offset circularly around shaft) and level on top at 45 deg to those two PLUMB or you will never get it optimally right for all 3. (though maybe workable)
This is also why half the mount holes are elypse slots not just circular holes.

bvgd
@bell.ca

bvgd to bvgd

Anon

to bvgd
ok thanks , well im using only 2 lnbs but if it's easier il add the 3rd one. The Y bracket is very tight but i notice that it tilt a bit when i apply pressure (not even 0.01 inch though).

Thanks Again.

PCInTech
Premium Member
Massena, NY

PCInTech

Premium Member

I gave you coordinates for a D500 dish w/ a dual LNB, if you're adding a 3rd LNB, that all will change. WHAT the HELL are you trying to do? You mention 101... that's DTV? Not releated to signal from DN. Tell us what you're trying to do. It gets tricky in Northern latitudes trying to do 3 sats on a single dish.

bvgd
@bell.ca

bvgd to bvgd

Anon

to bvgd
No , im just trying to get 110 and 119 it's just that with that eleptical dish and with that inversed y bracket numbers it got me all confused , i now understand clearly what you're all saying.

Also i know that 101 is not needed since is directTv , but when i posted that message i was frustrated and confusing , so pardon me for being dumb.

My biggest problem is that i don't know if the mast is perfectly at 90 degree even though it seem to be at 90 degree and also is that my neighbor with a dish 500 though putted is elevation at 30 and caught 110 but not 119 but he didn't skew it yet.

Is this the the good order setup ? 1 azimuth,2 elevation and 3 skew ?

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

2 edits

Hayward0

Premium Member

Thing is with a 2 LNB set up if you sight and peak for 110 or 119 you will never get the other real well... the optimum sight is actuall an imaginary spot between them, and then skew for balane of signal strength. With a round DISH 500.

Wth the eliptical sigthing and peaking 110 would likely work though because of the shape focus nature of the dish and LNB mount vs a round one.

And DISH does have a secondary sat around 101 and DTV also has one around 110 or 119.... technically they are tenths of a degree apart... but the tenths of a degree is a large spacing when you go 23K miles out. And since they use different transmission signals don't reall interfere with eachother.

bvgd
@bell.ca

bvgd to bvgd

Anon

to bvgd
thanks , since im visual here's a picture with different colors for each lnb just tell me which number 110 and 119 (101 not needed obviously) to which colors , this will help me a lot thanks.

The satellite at 101 though has no programming if im not mistaken ?

PCInTech
Premium Member
Massena, NY

1 edit

PCInTech

Premium Member

Red=101
Blue=110
Orange=119

And, correct... unless you have a DTV sub, 101 is useless to you. Just leave that space blank. You should skew LAST. Your 18x24 Elliptical will work fine for just 110/119.

bvgv
@bell.ca

bvgv to bvgd

Anon

to bvgd
thanks a lot , i coudn't find anything not even a signal , im starting to wonder what is wrong i tried to change the switch and nothing after i try to see if i would get something with any of the 2 lnbs but nothing.