uniqs
share rss forum feed

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

3 edits
reply to EG

Re: [Speed] 12/2 or 16/2..what is Comcast smoking? Seriously..

EG, I'm just sayin'... It sounds like people are confused about the new tiers, maybe if it was 10/1 instead of 12/2 it would be more balanced and people would be more enthusiastic about the change...

P.S. Did I mention that I'm glad after this post that this board does not work on a karma system? I think I might get voted off the island if it did...

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

said by AVonGauss:

EG, I'm just sayin'... It sounds like people are confused about the change, maybe if it was 10/1 instead of 12/2 it would be more balanced and people would be more enthusiastic about the change...
I'm agreein' with ya bud !

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

16/2 is the highest they go on your current modem. to go for 22 and 50 tiers you have to rent their DOCSIS3 Cisco modem(atleast until moto puts the 6120 in a store near you).
how the hell do you figlure that?

most docsis1.1 builds will do 4-6 up and 20-30 down. Here in former insight land we are docsis 2.0 and it will do up to 10 up I have seen the speed tests before comcrap took over the area

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

1 recommendation

said by GLIMMER:

most docsis1.1 builds will do 4-6 up and 20-30 down. Here in former insight land we are docsis 2.0 and it will do up to 10 up I have seen the speed tests before comcrap took over the area
Comcast isn't going to provision 22mbps for a single user into a 38mbps channel. By policy, they'll only give you the 22mbps tier if they can use a D3 modem to balance your traffic across at least 3x38mbps downstream channels. So yes, while it is indeed possible for a D1.1/2.0 modem to do 20-30mbps downstream, it is highly unwise to provision it that way given the current subscriber loading of the downstream channels.

You'll find this out when you try to order the Ultra service once it becomes available.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to GLIMMER

said by GLIMMER:

said by Kearnstd:

16/2 is the highest they go on your current modem. to go for 22 and 50 tiers you have to rent their DOCSIS3 Cisco modem(atleast until moto puts the 6120 in a store near you).

because its company policy for the 22/5 and up tiers.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

matthew330ci

join:2005-02-10
reply to ztmike

are you guys getting charged a ridiculous fee to change your level of service? i was told there would be some fee (I forget the amount) if I ever change my level of service.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley

said by matthew330ci:

are you guys getting charged a ridiculous fee to change your level of service? i was told there would be some fee (I forget the amount) if I ever change my level of service.
Not that I know of. I've changed back & forth for research reasons and did not notice any fees.
--
Write me up a 125.......I Can't Drive 55 »redrocker.com/ »cabowabo.com/

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN

3 edits
reply to ztmike

Just thought of something..maybe Comcast can go for 16/2 instead of 12/2 and current 16/2 users would be upgraded to 22/5, and 8/2 users would see the bump to 16/2-but pay the same price as users from the 6/1 tier.

That way everybody is happy and Comcast would be leading the way for speeds/pricing..

But we all know Comcast doesn't like making sense..so I doubt it will happen.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

said by ztmike:

Just thought of something..maybe Comcast can go for 16/2 instead of 12/2 and current 16/2 users would be upgraded to 22/5, and 8/2 users would see the bump to 16/2-but pay the same price as users from the 6/1 tier.

That way everybody is happy and Comcast would be leading the way for speeds/pricing..

22/5 requires a doc 3.0 modem. That's a lot of doc 3.0 modems.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

said by Rob:

said by ztmike:

22/5 requires a doc 3.0 modem. That's a lot of doc 3.0 modems.
... and for those of us that own our modems, this means new modem rental charges. No thanks!
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to matthew330ci

said by matthew330ci:

$1.99 Change Of Service Charge...
--

u3912974

join:2007-07-31
San Francisco, CA
reply to ztmike

perhpas it's a bit of:
supply and demand
difference of speeds in competing markets
future growth and past remainders

I think they have the right to offer what they want and we have the opportunity to purchase or decline purchase of said product

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP
reply to dadkins

said by dadkins:

... and for those of us that own our modems, this means new modem rental charges. No thanks!
Given that the D3 modems are still in the $200-$300 range (multiple tuners + limited market availability bumps the costs up quite a bit), that $3/mo charge is a flat out bargain right now. Not to mention that equipment failures common in first generation models aren't your problem; if the modem kacks, Comcast just brings you out another one.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley

1 recommendation

reply to dadkins

said by dadkins:

said by matthew330ci:

$1.99 Change Of Service Charge...
The infamous $1.99 charge. LOL! Forgot about that wallet breaker.

Thanks bud!
--
Write me up a 125.......I Can't Drive 55 »redrocker.com/ »cabowabo.com/

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

1 edit
reply to espaeth

My SB5100 has ran without an issue for 5+ years.
I paid $59.99(after rebate) for it.
$3.00 per month x 5 years = $180
180 - $60 = $130 net saved.

So, with a starting point of $130, $200 is not that far of a leap.
No one has a timeline on when we can go to Best buy and pick up a Cisco or Moto D3 modem.
I will likely have enough to get one by the time D3 gets here and D3 modems go on sale.

Rent one, and the modem runs for years... it's like burning money.
--

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by dadkins:

My SB5100 has ran without an issue for 5+ years.
I paid $59.99(after rebate) for it.
I did the same thing when I bought my SB5100 in 2003. At $60 the break-even point is 20 months - pretty safe risk considering the modems come with a 1 year warranty (8 months of "exposure").

Due to the extra tuners, the D3 modems are unlikely to drop below $100 anytime soon. Let's say they do hit the store at $150 somehow, that's still 50 months (just over 4 years) just to break even and I believe the modems still only have the same 1 year warranty. So, if the modem kacks then your cost model is completely hosed.

Personally, I still am not optimistic that the first generation of multi-tuner cable modems is going to show the same level of reliability as our 5th generation single-tuner SB5100s.

jacktaw

join:2003-01-03
Derry, NH

1 edit
reply to ztmike

12/2 Upgrade Available in Derry, NH

Just downgraded my 16/2 to the 12/2.

Told the rep that if they just upgraded the upstream to 5 MBit/s then I'd keep it.

Wonder how Comcast likes losing $10/month with all these people?!

-Kevin

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA
reply to espaeth

Eh... It's a Motorola.

I hear ya though... but with the luck I have, a POS that is being rented will last til the next iceage and I will have thrown hundreds away for nothing.

Decisions decisions...
--

mgmgmg

join:2002-09-08
Minneapolis, MN

2 edits
reply to ztmike

12/2 Upgrade Available in Minneapolis, MN

I also Just downgraded my 16/2 to the 12/2.

$10/month Extra?! WOW

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to ztmike

FWIW, in another post I indicated it looked my upload PowerBoost had been gone for about a week and 1/2 now. I'm not entirely sure that is true, the speed test sites (SpeedTest, SpeakEasy and Comcast) all seem to indicate this consistently, but doing a scp upload to a server seems to indicate otherwise. Something definitely changed, just not sure at this point without more investigation as to what the underlying change is. The reason I'm mentioning it is because of my previous post regarding recent "config file" changes.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN
reply to ztmike

For those on the new tier already..(12/2) what is the provisioned upload rate?

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to AVonGauss

(topic move) [Speed] 2200 to 2000 cap downgrade?

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 6 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Speed] 2200 to 2000 upstream cap downgrade? ~FIXED~