ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
join:2001-08-02
La Porte, IN

1 edit

ztmike

Premium Member

[Speed] 12/2 or 16/2..what is Comcast smoking? Seriously..

I'm trying to make sense of this..why would Comcast up the 6/1 tier to 12/2 but then keep the 16/2 tier at $10 bucks more? The poll on here which I'm not surprised really shows 12/2 is clearly the winner: »Poll....With the new tiers which will you subscribe to?

I think Comcast should drop the 16/2 and replace that tier with 22/5 and keep it the same price.

I think they are going to lose alot of customers on the 16/2 tier, unless 12/2 doesn't become a business tier also.

NathanO
join:2008-08-21
Seattle, WA

NathanO

couldn't agree more. I wish they would increase my blast! to Ultra (16/2 to 22/5) or push it to like 18/3.

JSSAUCE
Imac - MacBook Air
Premium Member
join:2001-12-04
Riverside, IL

JSSAUCE to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
What even make less sense is that the clearly stated published price for 22/5 is $62.95. Well I pay $69.95 for 16/2.

????

Guess I will upgrade and pay less.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
There may be a method to their madness ?

JSSAUCE
Imac - MacBook Air
Premium Member
join:2001-12-04
Riverside, IL

JSSAUCE

Premium Member

said by EG:

There may be a method to their madness ?
I guess they are trying to have consistent tiers and priceing.

paul8632
@comcast.net

paul8632 to ztmike

Anon

to ztmike
Beats me. I already called and downgraded to 12/2. Blast seems pretty weak now with these new plans.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
They should keep the 16/2 tier plan. Not because it makes sense, but because it gives the consumer an extra choice - and more choices is better than less choices.

Plus, it helps them compete in some markets.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
said by ztmike:

I think they are going to lose alot of customers on the 16/2 tier, unless 12/2 doesn't become a business tier also.
Which might be the end goal. This isn't available everywhere yet, so they may need to keep/grandfather existing tiers, until they can offer 12/2 or 22/5 everywhere.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
join:2001-08-02
La Porte, IN

ztmike

Premium Member

said by tshirt:

said by ztmike:

Which might be the end goal. This isn't available everywhere yet, so they may need to keep/grandfather existing tiers, until they can offer 12/2 or 22/5 everywhere.
I know its not available everywhere and won't be for a year or more still..its not even here yet where I am..

BUT I'm talking about the places that already have the new tiers.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
People were happy to pay an extra $10 for an extra 2MB of download speed. Now they pay the same for twice as much and suddenly it isn't good enough.

Personally, it looks like a reasonable price tier / performance tier to me. I'm happy with 6 / 1 and will be delighted with 12 / 2 when it comes to my area.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

2 edits

Cabal

Premium Member

said by pandora:

People were happy to pay an extra $10 for an extra 2MB of download speed. Now they pay the same for twice as much and suddenly it isn't good enough.
Many/most people were paying $10 extra for double the upload speed. Now they're paying $10 extra for... not much. Already downgraded from 16/2 to 12/2 here, couldn't be happier.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by Cabal:

Many/most people were paying $10 extra for double the upload speed. Now they're paying $10 extra for... not much. Already downgraded from 16/2 to 12/2 here, couldn't be happier.
I'm still happy with 6 / 1. 12 / 2 will be nice, but it my current Internet speed is sufficient.

Comcast has been pretty decent about this. Doubling speed and not really increasing costs. As you point out, many will get the same speed but save a bit.

I'm a satisfied Comcast HSI customer.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 edit

dadkins to Cabal

MVM

to Cabal
said by Cabal:
said by pandora:

That is all I wanted when I first started paying the $10 extra - back when it(upload) was 384k vs 256k.

When 6/1 gets kicked to 12/2, I'll be dropping back as well.

comcastuser230
@comcast.net

comcastuser230 to ztmike

Anon

to ztmike
said by ztmike:

I'm trying to make sense of this..why would Comcast up the 6/1 tier to 12/2 but then keep the 16/2 tier at $10 bucks more? The poll on here which I'm not surprised really shows 12/2 is clearly the winner: »Poll....With the new tiers which will you subscribe to?

I think Comcast should drop the 16/2 and replace that tier with 22/5 and keep it the same price.

The tier would be a great alternative to have if the upload was increase to 3Mbps.

16/3Mbps would be a great alternative in between the 12 and the 22 tiers. The only problem I see with it is that the download is really not much of an incentive with blast over the 12 mbps tier. Most people that choose the higher tiers do not just choose it base on download. I know I would be sufficiently happy with 12Mbps for all my downloading needs. However, extra upload is always great for my gaming and other things which is why I was on a higher tier for a while.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins
said by dadkins:

Doin' the same thing here daddio !

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

said by EG:
said by dadkins:

I can save the $10 per month for a D3 modem - if they ever sell them.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
16/2 is the highest they go on your current modem. to go for 22 and 50 tiers you have to rent their DOCSIS3 Cisco modem(atleast until moto puts the 6120 in a store near you).

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins
said by dadkins:

That's a great idea bud !!
timbo4656
join:2005-03-09
San Ramon, CA

2 edits

timbo4656 to ztmike

to ztmike
can someone clarify-

I have the 6mb line with 12mb speed boost. Is comcast saying their upping the 6mb plan to 12mb? or are they saying its 12mb with speed boost- so essentially i would already be on the "12mb" tier?

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

2 edits

EG

Premium Member

The Powerboost feature, and their provisioned speed tiers are two different things.

You are not "already on the 12mb tier" just because you are seeing the effects of their Powerboost feature.

When you are upgraded to the 12/2 tier, you should still see the short lived effects of the Powerboost feature to double or more of those figures.
timbo4656
join:2005-03-09
San Ramon, CA

1 edit

timbo4656

yea thats what i thought. thanks for the quick reply!

is there a a thread here that would tell me when this comes into affect in my market? that is when comcast upgrades the 6mb tier to 12mb.

CajunTek
Insane Cajun
Premium Member
join:2003-08-08
Arlington, TX

2 recommendations

CajunTek to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins
said by dadkins:
said by EG:
said by dadkins:

They better... I need the money!!!

delt4
Congrats BUCCOS
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Pittsburgh, PA

delt4 to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

16/2 is the highest they go on your current modem. to go for 22 and 50 tiers you have to rent their DOCSIS3 Cisco modem(atleast until moto puts the 6120 in a store near you).
Does this mean that it may be awhile little longer before Comcast upgrades their speeds again, assuming that there aren't as many DOCSIS3 modems out there as the current ones? I mean if speeds were upgraded farther than 16/2, everyone would have to get another modem from Comcast.
Rick5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06

Rick5 to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
I guess they figure that people will do exactly what the poll suggests they'll do. Either downgrade to the 12/2 or upgrade to the 22/5. And, for those who just want to stay on the 16/2 it will be more or less a grandfathered in tier.

I think the 22/5 is very competitive at the 62.95 they're asking. 2 bucks and change a day for speeds like that seems to me to be a real bargain. Not sure yet whether i'll upgrade to it but it will be nice just to have the option to.
voip_user0
join:2006-06-14
Middletown, CT

voip_user0 to Robert

to Robert
said by Robert:

They should keep the 16/2 tier plan. Not because it makes sense, but because it gives the consumer an extra choice - and more choices is better than less choices.

Plus, it helps them compete in some markets.
I hope they also add 1/1, 4/1, 6/2, 8/2 for the same price as 12/2, it would give the consumer even more choices
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
I don't know, it almost sounds like the consensus on this topic is that they raised the 6/1 tier higher than they needed...
bbscript
join:2004-11-09
Gettysburg, PA

bbscript

so when can we see this addiotional speeds. i hear today but havent seen any changes in configurations over the weekend yet.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to AVonGauss

Premium Member

to AVonGauss
said by AVonGauss:

I don't know, it almost sounds like the consensus on this topic is that they raised the 6/1 tier higher than they needed...
SHHHHUSH ..
sammydad1
join:2002-06-28
Lake Worth, FL

1 edit

sammydad1 to ztmike

to ztmike
Hi,

AS a test of actual download pipe size/speed, I use the 100MB broadband download test on www.testmy.net With Powerboost working as well as it does on smaller downloads, you need a beefy test to see a more real-world number. Typically I am averaging about 10.5 Mbps according to their test.

SD1
LostMile
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Coloma, MI

LostMile to voip_user0

Premium Member

to voip_user0
said by voip_user0:

I hope they also add 1/1, 4/1, 6/2, 8/2 for the same price as 12/2, it would give the consumer even more choices
Yah, they could market those slower packages as DSL over Digital Voice.