uniqs
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

5 recommendations

47717768 (banned)

[Free] Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8.5 Special Edition

If you already know about the Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8.0 Special Edition promotion that was offered by VNUnet earlier this year, it is time to upgrade to 8.5 because the 8.5 is fully compatible with Windows Vista and has many new features for your most usual tasks and scenarios. With Paragon Hard Disk Manager, you can easily create, format, delete, undelete, merge, backup, restore and copy your partition or hard disk.
»kb.paragon-software.com/ ··· _id=3804
Download link: »www.vnunet.com/vnunet/do ··· nager-se

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

Thanks, Oleg!

Registered without a hitch, key and registration info received.
Haven't installed it yet, but I'm sure I'll be doing so.
I registered and installed the 8.0 Special Edition last year, and I've been extremely happy with it.

What's not to like?
This is a terrific product, and everybody should take advantage of this offer, imo.

Thanks again!

scarney
Bbr Team Discovery - Bbr Team Rc5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-18
Madison, WI

scarney to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
thanks Oleg! i was waiting for this. love paragon progys.
Tyreman
join:2002-10-08
Cambridge, ON

Tyreman to 47717768

to 47717768
Got it.
Much thanks
wow just ordered/bought 9 Drive Back up too
Oh well.
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

47717768 (banned)

You are all welcome.It's always good to be subscribed to free software giveaways newsletters

ltsnow
Premium Member
join:2006-04-08
Valdosta, GA

ltsnow to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Thank you. Got it.

Ryno
The Wanderer
Premium Member
join:2001-04-07
Danielsville, PA

Ryno to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Thank You

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

jabarnut to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
said by AB57:

Thanks, Oleg!

Registered without a hitch, key and registration info received.
Haven't installed it yet, but I'm sure I'll be doing so.
I registered and installed the 8.0 Special Edition last year, and I've been extremely happy with it.

What's not to like?
This is a terrific product, and everybody should take advantage of this offer, imo.

Thanks again!
Yep....I'll echo what AB said.

Great piece of software, and the price can't be beat!
jabarnut

4 edits

1 recommendation

jabarnut to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Thought I'd add a little extra info here.

I was looking through the help menu of the v8.0 Special Edition from last year (as well as on the Paragon site), to see if it was necessary to uninstall 8.0 before installing 8.5.

As I've often mentioned before, this is one of the most common questions asked when installing a new version of Software, and in my opinion should always be at the very top of any Software FAQ page. (Of course, it rarely is).

At any rate, the help section in v8.0 mentioned that if an older version was detected when upgrading, you would be asked if you wanted to uninstall it first.

However, that never happened, and now I have both versions installed in the "Paragon Software" program folder, both of which are working just fine...(at least as far as I can tell so far).

So, that's that.
Now I just have to decide if I want to keep both, or uninstall v8.0.

If I had it to do over (which I actually do thanks to imaging), I might have uninstalled all remnants of v8.0 first.

Not sure at this point, I may just keep both installed. (Although I don't really see the need for both, so who knows).

Ok....end of brief message.

(Yeah, like I'm ever capable of a "brief message").

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member
join:2003-07-10

Just Rachel to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Thank you so much! I've been wanting to change the factory set up partitions on my laptop. Can you please tell me if I take extra space from my 'D' partition and add it to my 'C' partition will I lose any data, programs, etc. in the process?

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question as I've never done this before!

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

1 edit

jabarnut

Premium Member

Hi Rachel
Yes, you should be able to do that no problem. (I've done that and more with this program).
If you look at the file menu up top under "wizards" (in particular "redistribute free space"), it will guide you through the process with relative ease.

You shouldn't lose any data, but it's always advisable to back up anything important before messing around with resizing partitions, etc.

The Help menu and wizards are very good in this program, so look around a little bit.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member
join:2003-07-10

Just Rachel to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Thank you very much.
Just Rachel

Just Rachel to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Thank you very much jabarnut.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

jabarnut to Just Rachel

Premium Member

to Just Rachel
You're very welcome.....let us know how it goes at some point.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

1 recommendation

AB57 to jabarnut

Premium Member

to jabarnut
said by jabarnut:

. . the help section in v8.0 mentioned that if an older version was detected when upgrading, you would be asked if you wanted to uninstall it first.

However, that never happened, and now I have both versions installed in the "Paragon Software" program folder, both of which are working just fine...(at least as far as I can tell so far).

So, that's that.
Now I just have to decide if I want to keep both, or uninstall v8.0.

If I had it to do over (which I actually do thanks to imaging), I might have uninstalled all remnants of v8.0 first.

Not sure at this point, I may just keep both installed. (Although I don't really see the need for both, so who knows).
Thanks for that info, jabarnut.
I'd have played it the same way, and then had two versions of the same program installed.
I don't want that.

I'll uninstall first.
I retain the 8.0 installer and key (and a disc image), so I can always revert back if I want to.

And speaking of disc images-- that's one of the features of this program (at least it is with 8.0-- I presume 8.5 is the same). So anyone currently without disc imaging capabilities should also snag this.

Free is good, a free version of a top-rank, normally not free software is even better.

netrunner
join:2002-04-25
Hartford, CT

netrunner

Cannot disagree with that.. Great program many thanks Oleg.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

3 edits

jabarnut to AB57

Premium Member

to AB57
said by AB57:

..And speaking of disc images-- that's one of the features of this program (at least it is with 8.0-- I presume 8.5 is the same). So anyone currently without disc imaging capabilities should also snag this.

Free is good, a free version of a top-rank, normally not free software is even better.
Yep....8.5 is the same.
In fact, except for the splash screen, I haven't really noticed anything different yet. (Haven't really looked too hard yet either though).

Well, it is Windows Vista Compatable (and 8.0 wasn't), so that's a big difference for some.

But I couldn't agree more as far as snagging this freebie, for those who haven't yet.

It's a keeper for sure.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by jabarnut:

Yep....8.5 is the same.
In fact, except for the splash screen, I haven't really noticed anything different yet. (Haven't really looked too hard yet either though).
8.5 works with Vista, which apparently 8.0 does not. So that would be one difference, anyway.

Actually, if that's the only difference, there's no need for me to install 8.5.

Hmmmm. I may have to research this . . . .

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

1 edit

1 recommendation

jabarnut

Premium Member

lol...I added an edit about Vista while you were posting.

Have to be quick around here.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Thank you, 47717768 See Profile

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane to 47717768

Numquam oblita

to 47717768
Very good..thanks Oleg

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

4 edits

1 recommendation

jabarnut to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Interesting...there are a few differences, at least on the surface. (And I'm sure a little deeper than the surface as well).

For one, I just noticed this version adds a "Universal Image Mounter" in Device Manager, and v8.0 didn't.

(By the way, the Drivers for those are not Digitally Signed, if anyone cares to know).

I'm sure it has to do with Backups and Mounting Images... something I don't really use the program for, since I use Acronis...not that it shouldn't work just fine though.

I also noticed a new tab on the main page for "Archives".

I'm sure there are quite a few other differences 'under the hood' (especially being "Vista Compatible"), but I haven't done any more research yet...too busy watching the Jets beat the Bills at the moment.

Maybe I'll look into it some more later.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

Excellent! Thanks Oleg!

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

1 edit

1 recommendation

AB57 to jabarnut

Premium Member

to jabarnut
said by jabarnut:

Interesting...there are a few differences, at least on the surface. (And I'm sure a little deeper than the surface as well).

For one, I just noticed this version adds a "Universal Image Mounter" in Device Manager, and v8.0 didn't.

(By the way, the Drivers for those are not Digitally Signed, if anyone cares to know).

I'm sure it has to do with Backups and Mounting Images. Something I don't really use the program for since I use Acronis...not that it shouldn't work just fine though.

I also just noticed a new tab on the main page for "Archives".

I'm sure there are quite a few other differences 'under the hood' (especially being "Vista Compatible"), but I haven't done any more research yet...too busy watching the Jets beat the Bills at the moment.

Maybe I'll look into it some more later.
Here's the best I've been able to come up with for a changelog:
quote:
· Archive database
· Mount Archive
· Bootable Backup Capsule
· Cyclic Backup
· Restore with shrink
· Incremental Copy
· Hot backup of dynamic volumes
· Restore dynamic disks with autoresize
· Long comment for archives
· Shutdown after completing operations
· 64-bit Support (EM64T,AMD64) for Paragon Hot Processing
· DVD R/-R(Double Layer)

»www.softpedia.com/progCh ··· 268.html

Not specifically for this 'Special Edition' version, but likely the same.
Virtually all of that having to do with imaging which, like you, I use Acronis for.

Software becoming 'Vista compatible' is known to add services (or in this case, devices) in XP as well.

Looks like I'll stick with 8.0, just because I don't use either Vista or the Paragon imaging features.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

1 recommendation

jmorlan to 47717768

MVM

to 47717768
Thank you very much. I just realized that I already have the Special Edition 8.5 version of the Paragon Partition Manager. It looks like I installed it back in February, perhaps as a result of this thread:

»[Free] Partition manager full

Now I've downloaded this new program which is the Hard Disk Manager, not just the partition manager. Does the HDM include the PM in it. Should I remove the PM before installing HDM. I've read over this thread, but I remain confused about the differences between the two products.

Thanks.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

1 recommendation

AB57

Premium Member

According to this post from howie1 See Profile in that thread, the Partition Manager *does not* include the imaging capabilities:

»Re: [Free] Partition manager full

And thanks for that link.
I'd forgotten about that thread, and the information therein is pretty much the same as I just found out again.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan

MVM

Thank AB57 See Profile. There is an option in Partition Manager 8.5 to copy an entire partition. How does this differ from the imaging capabilities of of the HDM?

I'm guessing the Hard Disk Manager is a more inclusive program and that I should probably remove the Partition Manager first. Is that right?

Its a Secret
Please speak into the microphone
Premium Member
join:2008-02-23
Da wet coast

Its a Secret to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Thanks, Oleg. I'll be taking this for a test drive. My lappie needed to have a partition increased, so this was great timing!

win256bit
@comcast.net

win256bit to 47717768

Anon

to 47717768
I'm wondering whether this program is right for me. Vista already has basic partition utilities that satisfy me. So the hard disk imaging is what I could use. Is it similar to ghost in that it makes a complete and incremental backups? Do I need a boot cd when i want to restore an image?

Thanks.

ltsnow
Premium Member
join:2006-04-08
Valdosta, GA

2 edits

ltsnow to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
I used to use these paragon programs to create partition images, but then ran into problems. When I first installed Paragon (any of their imaging programs including this new one) I could backup a partition and then restore it from within windows (would reboot and provide a restore blue screen). After I had installed all of my other programs it would no longer boot to the blue restore screen. I have tried to isolate the problem, but have just never had any luck.

Unlike Acronis they have no good forum support and the only thing I was able to find from Google was that something is blocking the "blue screen driver" from starting. I have had to give up on Paragon and stick to Acronis.