how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
reply to Kearnstd

Re: [Speed] 12/2 or 16/2..what is Comcast smoking? Seriously..

said by Kearnstd:

16/2 is the highest they go on your current modem. to go for 22 and 50 tiers you have to rent their DOCSIS3 Cisco modem(atleast until moto puts the 6120 in a store near you).
how the hell do you figlure that?

most docsis1.1 builds will do 4-6 up and 20-30 down. Here in former insight land we are docsis 2.0 and it will do up to 10 up I have seen the speed tests before comcrap took over the area

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by GLIMMER:

most docsis1.1 builds will do 4-6 up and 20-30 down. Here in former insight land we are docsis 2.0 and it will do up to 10 up I have seen the speed tests before comcrap took over the area
Comcast isn't going to provision 22mbps for a single user into a 38mbps channel. By policy, they'll only give you the 22mbps tier if they can use a D3 modem to balance your traffic across at least 3x38mbps downstream channels. So yes, while it is indeed possible for a D1.1/2.0 modem to do 20-30mbps downstream, it is highly unwise to provision it that way given the current subscriber loading of the downstream channels.

You'll find this out when you try to order the Ultra service once it becomes available.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to GLIMMER
said by GLIMMER:

said by Kearnstd:

16/2 is the highest they go on your current modem. to go for 22 and 50 tiers you have to rent their DOCSIS3 Cisco modem(atleast until moto puts the 6120 in a store near you).

because its company policy for the 22/5 and up tiers.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports