SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to dadkins

MVM

to dadkins

Re: [Speed] 12/2 or 16/2..what is Comcast smoking? Seriously..

said by dadkins:

... and for those of us that own our modems, this means new modem rental charges. No thanks!
Given that the D3 modems are still in the $200-$300 range (multiple tuners + limited market availability bumps the costs up quite a bit), that $3/mo charge is a flat out bargain right now. Not to mention that equipment failures common in first generation models aren't your problem; if the modem kacks, Comcast just brings you out another one.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 edit

dadkins

MVM

My SB5100 has ran without an issue for 5+ years.
I paid $59.99(after rebate) for it.
$3.00 per month x 5 years = $180
180 - $60 = $130 net saved.

So, with a starting point of $130, $200 is not that far of a leap.
No one has a timeline on when we can go to Best buy and pick up a Cisco or Moto D3 modem.
I will likely have enough to get one by the time D3 gets here and D3 modems go on sale.

Rent one, and the modem runs for years... it's like burning money.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

2 edits

1 recommendation

SpaethCo

MVM

said by dadkins:

My SB5100 has ran without an issue for 5+ years.
I paid $59.99(after rebate) for it.
I did the same thing when I bought my SB5100 in 2003. At $60 the break-even point is 20 months - pretty safe risk considering the modems come with a 1 year warranty (8 months of "exposure").

Due to the extra tuners, the D3 modems are unlikely to drop below $100 anytime soon. Let's say they do hit the store at $150 somehow, that's still 50 months (just over 4 years) just to break even and I believe the modems still only have the same 1 year warranty. So, if the modem kacks then your cost model is completely hosed.

Personally, I still am not optimistic that the first generation of multi-tuner cable modems is going to show the same level of reliability as our 5th generation single-tuner SB5100s.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

Eh... It's a Motorola.

I hear ya though... but with the luck I have, a POS that is being rented will last til the next iceage and I will have thrown hundreds away for nothing.

Decisions decisions...