spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JKD7
join:2008-11-02
Sacramento, CA

JKD7

[Speed Problem] Internet Getting Clocked at a Lower Speed

I've been having a speed problem occur during a majority of the month of October. The modem keeps saying the internet speeds are at 2400/768. The upload speed is correct, but the download speed is incorrect. This is sort of bugging me, because I don't want to pay $35 for internet and get 1/3 of the speed I'm paying for.

1) Which AT&T DSL Package do you have?
- I currently have the Elite Package (6.0 Mbps). Upgraded around March 2008.

2) Which modem brand and model do you have? (if Speedstream 5100, does it have 4 or 5 lights)
- I have a Speedstream 5100 with 4 lights on green. I updated the software to 1.0.0.53.

3) Are you using a router? If so, provide the brand and model.
- Yes, I am using a Netgear WPN824.

4) Is your PPPoE login info (username & password) entered in the modem, in your router or do you use PPPoE software?
- It is entered in the modem.

5) Describe the lights on the modem when the trouble occurs.
- They are all green.

6) Confirm that you’ve checked to ensure that ALL devices plugged into the wall jacks serviced by your DSL phone number (except the DSL modem) have filters fitted.
- They all have filter fitted. Only one phone base station.

7) Confirm that you’ve powered off the modem and started it again and whether or not that made any changes with your problem.
- I've done it many times during the month of October.

8) Do you hear any type of noise on the DSL phone line or any other unusual telephone symptoms?
- No noise. No static. It is the usual telephone tone.

9) Provide line stats as follows…
Line State UP
Modulation ANSI
Data Path fast
To Modem To Internet
Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2272 768
SN Margin (dB) 7.0 -
Line Attenuation (dB) 42.5 -
Loss of Signal 13 -
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 2209 72
10) If you have a speed problem, use the AT&T Speed Test here -- »helpme.att.net/dsl/speedtest/ and post your results.
Your Throughput

Download = 856.12 kbps
Upload = 297.70 kbps
tonydi
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
San Jose, CA

tonydi

Premium Member

For future reference, you must have a 5100 with 5 lights (a 5100b) or you wouldn't have gotten the stats you posted. All 5 may not be lit up, but they're there.

How long had the modem been powered on when you took the stats? I ask because you've got a low SN Margin and a decent number of CRC errors. If the modem had only been powered on for a few minutes then the CRC errors are possibly indicative of the problem and the cause of the low margin, making the modem train down to a lower download speed.

Also, how long have you had Elite and did you ever have full sync speeds of 6016/768 and download numbers around 5Mbps?

First thing to try is to look at these same line stats while connected to your NID's test jack, if you have one.
»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How to check modem stats, synch rates & speeds from test jack at the NID.

If the stats don't improve there, then it's probably something in your environment or on AT&T's equipment.

You might also run a DMT test and post the graph and the table of numbers under the graph.
»SBC DSL FAQ »How can I check for the maximum attainable sync speeds with a 5100b/4100 modem?
JKD7
Sacramento, CA

JKD7

- How long had the modem been powered on when you took the stats?
The stats I posted earlier was like I'd say a few weeks after the last power on. These are the stats after being powered on 2 minutes ago.
Line State UP
Modulation ANSI
Data Path fast
To Modem To Internet
Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2848 768
SN Margin (dB) 5.0 -
Line Attenuation (dB) 42.5 -
Loss of Signal 0 -
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 7 2
- Also, how long have you had Elite and did you ever have full sync speeds of 6016/768 and download numbers around 5Mbps?
I've had the Elite package since March of this month, and I have gotten full sync speeds until midway October.

Unfortunately, my house does not have a NID and the DMT test says that my techreadout.htm is not valid.
tonydi
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
San Jose, CA

tonydi

Premium Member

Bummer about the NID.

On the tech readout, are you sure you're saving the page as Web Page, HTML only (*.htm,*.html)?

koma3504
Advocate
Premium Member
join:2004-06-22
Granbury, TX

koma3504 to JKD7

Premium Member

to JKD7
call Att and politly request a proper nid as that may be all your problems.
JKD7
Sacramento, CA

JKD7 to tonydi

to tonydi
Click for full size
DMT Test
Ok, I got the DMT test to work.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l to JKD7

MVM

to JKD7
Your DMT chart should look something more like this: »/users ··· aph=true

It doesn't look as though you have any major interference sources (very wide notches), nor does your attenuation look to be excessively high. This is both from the actual stats page readout of 42.5 dB and also from the slope rate on the top of your tone bin bit loads (this is an eyeballed approximation type of estimation )

As a wild guess, what it looks like is that your DSLAM or RT isn't providing sufficient output power levels to your modem so it can only load the bits in the tone bins to a much lower level than in the chart I posted above. If this interpretation is right, it would be as if your line is "capped" to a lower speed by lack of DSLAM power.

Because you don't have a NID and the Speedstream doesn't report power levels (its only serious shortcoming), this is clearly a case for the techs in AT&T Direct: »AT&T Direct . Post a Trouble thread there and maybe put a link to this thread to show what we have tried. If your DSLAM linecard has low output power, that should be readily apparent to the techs as soon as they pull up your stats.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

1 edit

David to JKD7

Premium Member

to JKD7
I checked your line, the modem is reporting a bridge tap condition and it's hampering the speeds badly. These readings are from the number based on post in the direct forum.

------------> 11/19/2008 7:24:40 PM <-----------
SPEED PROFILE                           6016/768      
                       DOWNSTREAM <-> UPSTREAM  
CAPACITY                CAP  96.0 <-> 75.0      
NOISE MARGIN            NOI   6.5 <-> 14.0      
TRANSMISSION PWR        PWR  15.0 <-> 12.0      
SIGNAL ATTENUATION      ATT  42.5 <-> 22.0      
RATE                    SPD 2336F <-> 768F      
MAX RATE (CALCULATED)   MAX 2433F <-> 1024F     
CELL COUNT                1269356 <-> 715117    

Got the following error:

BRIDGED TAPS The line appears to have a bridged tap. The tap is severely restricting channel bandwidth.

usually when these happen it can be a few different things

• failed filter
• unfiltered device
• Incorrectly connected device
• failed NID/SNI splitter.
• defective or failed modem

Recommend checking connections at the nid/sni/gray test jack to see if speeds improve there first.