uniqs

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck

MVM

Re: Cost for adding 220V for dryer?

Any dryer is worth the cost to install the 220 imho. Eventually it pays for itself instead of running to the laundromat. If the dryer breaks, you get another one.

Have no idea where the main breaker is. But truely, I don't trust them anyway. Many years ago I was taking a 220 line out. The main breaker was off. ALL the breakers were off. Easy to pull out, right? I got blown across that basement. Whoever wired that 220 made it stay hot somehow by not going through the main breaker. So, I learned my lesson. I stay away.

Oh, and there is a metal vent already, just waiting. Just no electric or gas hookup for a dryer. But a vent pipe is not a big deal to install if you need one anyway. Biggest pain is cutting the hole in the wall.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z

Premium Member

That is why you always use a Voltmeter to check before working on the circuit. We always carried a Flukes & quick test to check circuits before even going into them.
PhilAIV
join:2002-02-16
Carrollton, GA

PhilAIV to beck

to beck
said by beck:

Any dryer is worth the cost to install the 220 imho. Eventually it pays for itself instead of running to the laundromat. If the dryer breaks, you get another one.
Totally agree. I've been meaning to do the same thing (install another 220 outlet), but how been putting it off. Your post has reminded me and I'll have to get off my butt and do it. (I only have to run about ten feet of wire along with the outlet) Although when my electric dryers give out, I'm switching to gas because the apartment in my basement has a gas dryer and it can dry clothes in a little over 20 minutes (probably scorches them a little in the process though, lol.)
Langning
Premium Member
join:2003-04-28
Marlborough, MA

Langning to Greg_Z

Premium Member

to Greg_Z
Using a volt meter is not safe enough. Just a couple weeks ago, I used my volt meter on a switch. I put 1 prone on black and another prone on the ground screw. Somehow that was enough to send spark flying and melted the 1 prone on positive...

The detection type is better that you don't have to
touch any wire...

mitchell
join:2002-06-21
Darlington, SC

mitchell

Did you have the meter set for measuring Ohms?
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to Langning

Premium Member

to Langning
Yep, I'm thinking that the meter was set to measure either Ohms or Amps. Ouch! When set to measure Amps, the resistance through the meter is very close to zero...

Greg_Z
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z to Langning

Premium Member

to Langning
You did not check the setting on the meter. This is a reason that you should have your head where it belongs before working on something that can kill you. Not to say that a homeowner should avoid taking on small tasks, but you should should always place caution before the task.
Greg_Z

Greg_Z to HarryH3

Premium Member

to HarryH3
Why where you measuring Amps? Ohms are measured Parallel on the circuit, Series for measuring Volts & Amps. Next time check your meter settings & cable hook up.
Langning
Premium Member
join:2003-04-28
Marlborough, MA

Langning to Greg_Z

Premium Member

to Greg_Z

No, I used a "4-way circuit tester"... There are 3 colored-screws on the switch -- 1 copper-colored, 1 no-color, & 1 green. I don't recall the switch was on or not (more likely it was on). At first, I put 1 prone on the no-color screw, and 2nd on copper screw. The tester lighted up.

Then for whatever reason, I took the 1st prone away from the no-color screw and touched the green (ground) screw on the opposite side of the switch. Next thing was the sparks that melted the prone on the copper-colored screw and blackened the switch and tripped the breaker.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to Greg_Z

Premium Member

to Greg_Z
said by Greg_Z:

Why where you measuring Amps? Ohms are measured Parallel on the circuit, Series for measuring Volts & Amps. Next time check your meter settings & cable hook up.
Ummm.. voltage is being measured in parallel, current (amps) in series... And you never, ever measure resistance (ohms) on any kind of energized circuit.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z to Langning

Premium Member

to Langning
Only good for a spot check, but always use a Voltmeter for true checking of any volts.
Greg_Z

Greg_Z to cowboyro

Premium Member

to cowboyro
Okay, corrected, and as for Ohms, yes that is correct always check on a Deenergized circuit.