MVM
join:2004-02-22
united kingd

1 edit

3 recommendations

NICK ADSL UK

MVM

Security Update available for Adobe Reader 8

Security Update available for Adobe Reader 8 and Acrobat 8 Release date: November 4, 2008
Platform: All Platforms

Summary
Critical vulnerabilities have been identified in Adobe Reader and Acrobat
8.1.2 and earlier versions. These vulnerabilities would cause the application to crash and could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.

Adobe Reader 9 and Acrobat 9 are not vulnerable to these issues. Adobe recommends users of Acrobat 8 and Adobe Reader 8 who can’t update to Adobe Reader 9 install the 8.1.3 update to protect themselves from potential vulnerabilities.

Affected software versions
Adobe Reader 8.1.2 and earlier versions
Adobe Acrobat Professional, 3D and Standard 8.1.2 and earlier versions

Solution
Adobe Reader

Adobe recommends Adobe Reader users update to Adobe Reader 9, available
here:
»www.adobe.com/go/getreader

»www.adobeforums.com/webx ··· 59b6ef1e
WNGFAN 1
join:2003-11-02
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1

Updated and working fine here on XP-SP3. Another application which I may have allowed come along with it called Adobe Air. Wasn't crazy about that so I went into Add/remove and got rid of it.
starfish8
join:2004-06-30

1 edit

starfish8 to NICK ADSL UK

to NICK ADSL UK
Has anyone tried the Adobe Reader 8.1.3 update? Can you update 8.1.2 to 8.1.3 using the 'check for update' feature?

NICK ADSL UK
MVM
join:2004-02-22
united kingd

NICK ADSL UK

MVM

Hi starfish
You certainly can use the check for update feature although it as my experience shows may not always work. If thats the case then please use the above link
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to WNGFAN 1

Premium Member

to WNGFAN 1
said by WNGFAN 1:

Updated and working fine here
WNGFAN, which version of adobe reader did you install?

in the adobe forum, all i have seen, there, are posts saying that adobe reader 9 does not work..
Finger2208
join:2001-04-07
Lindale, TX

Finger2208 to starfish8

to starfish8
said by starfish8:

Has anyone tried the Adobe Reader 8.1.3 update? Can you update 8.1.2 to 8.1.3 using the 'check for update' feature?
Just tried via the "check for update" feature. It didn't work for me using XP SP3. It found the update, but had issues running it.
WNGFAN 1
join:2003-11-02
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1 to redwolfe_98

to redwolfe_98
said by redwolfe_98:

said by WNGFAN 1:

Updated and working fine here
WNGFAN, which version of adobe reader did you install?

in the adobe forum, all i have seen, there, are posts saying that adobe reader 9 does not work..
Adobe Reader 9
version 9.0.0

Telly Boot
Premium Member
join:2002-05-15
Vancouver, BC

Telly Boot to NICK ADSL UK

Premium Member

to NICK ADSL UK
Drat... as a Windows 2000 user, Adobe tells me I could only use Reader 7.0.9 ( installed) or Adobe Reader 9, so decided to download it and see what happened. Unfortunately, yes, it doesn't open PDF files all the time, sometimes it just locks up.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member

3 edits

1 recommendation

redwolfe_98 to NICK ADSL UK

Premium Member

to NICK ADSL UK
i switched to "foxit"..

i checked out the user-reviews of "AR build 9", at cnet's "download.com", and all but one of them were very negative..

i was using AR build 7.10.. i have used build 8.12, before, and it was OK, so i would think that AR build 8.13 would be OK, as well, but, before installing AR build 8.13, i tried "foxit", and it worked, for me, so i switched to using it instead of adobe reader..

unfortunately, adobe didn't say whether AR build 7.10 had any of the same vulnerabilities that build 8.12 had, or not.. my guess is that it didn't..
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra

Premium Member

said by redwolfe_98:

unfortunately, adobe didn't say whether AR build 7.10 had any of the same vulnerabilities that build 8.12 had, or not.. my guess is that it didn't..
Hi Redwolfe_98,
You're guess is correct The only fix for version 7x was:

"1755163 Issue printing multiple documents using the windows context menu option
When printing multiple documents from the windows context menu option, Reader would launch multiple instances for each document. If you were to subsequently check the print queue, there would be some documents missing. This issue has been resolved.Root: Fixes issue found in 7 and 8."

I can live with that.

Trying to figure out what to do about this, I found the release notes for Version 8.1.3 here:

»kb.adobe.com/selfservice ··· liceId=1

I wish Adobe wouldn't make it so difficult to find things!

Do you like Foxit? I just looked at their page and noticed it has a multimedia player and a built in javascript engine.
If I ever wanted to switch, I wouldn't be interested in those features.

Sincerely, Libra

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
Another happy Foxit user.

Littlem129
Premium Member
join:2007-05-13
White Pine, TN

Littlem129 to NICK ADSL UK

Premium Member

to NICK ADSL UK
Get Foxit, works great.
Thomas M5
join:2005-06-06
Germany

Thomas M5 to redwolfe_98

to redwolfe_98
If Acrobat 7.1 would be affected by the current vulnerability, I guess ADOBE would loudly recommend to update from 7 to 9 (money, money, money )

Since they don't mention Acrobat 7.1 at all suggests to me that it is not affected.... but you never know... before I get a final answer, I am using Foxit instead

Thomas

VikingBob
Go Jets Go!
Premium Member
join:2004-06-05
MB Canada

VikingBob to NICK ADSL UK

Premium Member

to NICK ADSL UK
If you don't have the latest patched Adobe, or an alternative PDF reader, better hurry. Exploits are in the wild, and AV coverage is mighty slim.

»isc.sans.org/diary.html? ··· yid=5324

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay to NICK ADSL UK

MVM

to NICK ADSL UK
Thanks again. Downloading as I type.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member

1 edit

redwolfe_98 to VikingBob

Premium Member

to VikingBob
here is a list of at least some of the URL's that are being used to distrubute malware that takes advantage of the adobe reader vulnerabilities:

»www3.malekal.com/exploit.txt