how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jammmin

join:2000-12-14
Upper Marlboro, MD

Signal dropping on Actiontech Router

I am constantly getting dropped signals on my laptop from my Verizon Router. I have a coax MOCA connection.

When I called Verizon about this, the rep. blamed Windows Vista for the problem. He says this is a known problem with computers with Windows Vista. Based on all the threads here about the poor wireless performance of Verizon's router, he was obviously lying.

Does Verizon have any intentions on working with the maker of this router to fix these problems. Is my only choice right now to use another router(by setting up a bridge)?

My old Linksys router I used with Comcast was much more reliable.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
Personally, I have no idea why people complain about the Actiontec's wireless capability.

I have mine in a 4 bedroom 2-story house. I can pick up the signal in the office (where it originates), downstairs, in the basement, even out in the backyard (during the warm months).

Obviously your location will impact results, but I know my router works pretty damn good.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to jammmin
Set up your Linksys as the main router per the FAQ to use it as a Access Point. (much easier if you switch to eithernet)
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ

I have mine set up with the Ethernet and Linksys as the main router. The AT wireless is off.

I must say in defense of VZ FSC, I have had a harder time with Vista than XP. Maybe it's just me
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JeepMatt
said by JeepMatt:

even out in the backyard (during the warm months).
But not during the cold months?

germ

join:2006-09-30
Long Beach, CA

2 edits
reply to JeepMatt
said by JeepMatt:

Personally, I have no idea why people complain about the Actiontec's wireless capability.

I have mine in a 4 bedroom 2-story house. I can pick up the signal in the office (where it originates), downstairs, in the basement, even out in the backyard (during the warm months).

Obviously your location will impact results, but I know my router works pretty damn good.
I've been nothing but happy with the ActionTec's WiFi too. I think it's just prejudice against something people perceive as cheaply made because it's a free product with their service. I'm especially happy that the firmware runs on Linux it should help with stability.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actiontec

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by germ:

I think it's just prejudice against something people perceive as cheaply made because it's a free product with their service. I'm especially happy that the firmware runs on Linux it should help with stability.
I don't think everyone that has had a problem with the router has a prejudice. Many of them don't even know what a router is.

I can't speak for others but in my case I ran the AT and the Linksys side by side and tried to connect using two different laptops with different chipsets and OS. The AT would always fail before the Linksys. Certainly there are a lot of variables that will come into play but it's not just a figment of someones imagination. (at least not always )
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA
reply to jammmin
Welllll...

I run a Linksys WRT54GS, V4 router, Tomato firmware, with WPA-AES encryption. I have a Linksys PCI wireless card in my desktop.

For the heck of it, it set up the A/T in exactly the same location and the signal level, 30' away, through 2 sheet rock walls, on the same floor, is about 2/3 what I get from the Linksys. I ran this setup for a couple of days to see if it would stabilize - no dice.

Add to that, the A/T only got to about 24 MBPS link speed (the WRT is constant at 54) and occasionally completely lost "sync" with the card in my desktop, requiring that I "renegotiate" the link between the two. My daughter has similar problems with her A/T as well, although not quite as solid a difficulty as mine. She has a different version Linksys wireless card in her machine from mine.

There is only one other WiFi network detectable in my area. He is on channel 1 and I'm on 11 so there is no interference between the two.

I have not tried the A/T "open" or with WEP but I wouldn't run that way anyhow.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons