Click for full size
messy antenna wires
Click for full size
more messy antenna wires
Click for full size
unused and junk antennas to be ripped down
Click for full size
cell antenna
In my travels today, I found myself on top of a messy antenna site in downtown WPB.

We're actually in the process of lighting this building from our datacenter 2 blocks away. Nothing like microwaving 100mbs to a messy building, which shares 3mb
--
Sean B
Datacenter Operations
US Network Management, Inc.
»www.netmanage.net
(561)253-6500

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
Teligent...that's a name I haven't seen in a long time!

imseanbrown
Premium
join:2005-12-20
New York, NY
yeah, teligent made a huge push in this market down here, but (as we all know) ended up closing up shop and f**kin' investors world-wide...

We're ripped AT LEAST 10 similar antennas off of other buildings... this one is next, however we have to be a little more careful - as the wiring is not exactly the neatest and Metro PCS is on the roof here with their active cell site equipment...

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium
join:2005-02-05
Knowlton, QC
kudos:1
reply to imseanbrown
I'm curious what the Teligent equipment is for? I don't know anything about it, and that's one massivly strange looking antenna.

Anyone have specs on these or what they do?

tantivy

join:2007-03-17
Palo Alto, CA
reply to imseanbrown
Why did you call this "FCC Antenna site"? Is the site owned or operated by the FCC?

imseanbrown
Premium
New York, NY
this site is registered and approved with the FCC to host antennas...

jeffmoss26

Beachwood, OH
reply to imseanbrown
Several office buildings near me have fiber cabinets that say Teligent on them, and copper lines come out of them...all of these buildings are also served by Ameritech (now at&t)
I'm pretty sure they were/are a CLEC...

Splitpair
Premium
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne
kudos:3

2 edits
reply to imseanbrown
said by imseanbrown:

this site is registered and approved with the FCC to host antennas...
The site may be registered with the FCC but as far as "hosting" antennas that is a local zoning issue.

FWIW if you are going to continue working past that yellow sign at any site you may want to invest in a personal RF radiation monitor such as those offered by Narda. Being exposed to high power high frequency RF such as found on roof-top sites or when climbing towers is not good for ones body. Knowing ones total exposure is important to avoiding serious problems and a RF monitor sure beats hearing that you have exceeded the limits and are now suffering the results of that mistake from a doctor.

»www.narda.de/1/content.php?pit=0···X-023001

Wayne

--
If you cannot fix it with a buttset and some beanies you ain't a technician.

Splitpair
Premium
Cow Towne
reply to imseanbrown
said by imseanbrown:

as the wiring is not exactly the neatest and Metro PCS is on the roof here with their active cell site equipment...
I see way more than Metro PCS up there.

BTW if you look carefully you might find the term "Splitpair was here" on one of the Telco backboards.

Wayne
--

jeffmoss26

Beachwood, OH
reply to imseanbrown
Ahh, the things I have seen written on telco backboards. About the only thing I can repeat in mixed company is 'if you take a roll of cross connect, replace it'

CanerisErik
Caneris
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-03
Toronto, ON
kudos:2

1 edit
said by jeffmoss26:

Ahh, the things I have seen written on telco backboards. About the only thing I can repeat in mixed company is 'if you take a roll of cross connect, replace it'
Don't get me started

Around here sometimes we have "real Bell Canada" vs. sub-contractors vs. Entourage vs. BTS and whatever all of these were called and whoever they were owned by at various times in the past, exchanging insults on boards and elsewhere you can stick a writing implement or something sharp. The fact that they're all on the same team escapes them. But then again, any time Bell's involved, that's not surprising.

Splitpair
Premium
Cow Towne
said by CanerisErik:

The fact that they're all on the same team escapes them. But then again, any time Bell's involved, that's not surprising.
We are cannibals just without the bones thru our noses.

Wayne
--

Splitpair
Premium
Cow Towne

1 edit
reply to jeffmoss26
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by jeffmoss26:

About the only thing I can repeat in mixed company is 'if you take a roll of cross connect, replace it'
Some of the milder stuff I have seen now keep in mind most of it has an often well known history behind the tag.

Wayne
--

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
reply to imseanbrown
Nice photos.

Those pics that you labled messy antenna wires, thats pretty common. How else is one supposed to run 7/8's and 1-5/8" coax? I've seen worse.

I'm trying to figure out what the RFS box is..... I think it's some kind of tower top amp, but I've never seen one around my parts of the country. And I doubt it is a teletilt box, as I think only Andrew makes those?

And as Splitpair says, if you are going to work around that stuff you need to perhaps invest in an RF monitor. I'd venture a guess in that you most likely are not trained in RF environment safety, so really you should not even be there. Hanging out in front of a PCS antenna is not the best thing to do..... Nor is having your head next to a microwave antenna while it's in operation.

--
"No job is so important, and no service is so urgent that we cannot take the time to perform our work safely."
-- AT&T, Your World, Destroyed.
--Safety One Tower Rescue Certified
--LLigetfa:"Wimax is like teenage sex. Everyone talks about doing it."

jeffmoss26

Beachwood, OH
reply to imseanbrown
Wayne, the thing that impresses me is that here at UT, the guy from Bell would write his name and date on every terminal he wired. The writing is there to this day.
One of them also says 'no one but Bell, keep your damn hands out of this terminal' LOL

imseanbrown
Premium
New York, NY
reply to Hahausuck
We have safety monitors and have extensive training in RF - as this is a CORE focus of what we do, actually all of us do.

Found out today, only one cell provider is up here, and it's sprint, not metro... All of the other antennas are actually DEAD, just not dis-assembled -- there's no transmitters to be found anywhere -- except in the new pix i just posted...

the reason we are working with this building is to get rid of the garbage antennas, and keep only what's alive up there... we're going to be managing the roof rights going forward - simply because no one has *EVER* managed it in the past...

we're actually installing a BUNCH of 60 and 80Ghz stuff up there to support some of our MTU/MDU services...
--
Sean.Brown@clearlinknetworks.com

CLEAR LINK Networks, Inc.

319 Clematis Street

Third Floor - Suite #301

»www.clearlinknetworks.com

(561)253-6500

imseanbrown
Premium
New York, NY
Click for full size
Click for full size
Sprint cabinets
Click for full size
Wide shot of cabinets and power
Click for full size
Sprint's antennas
More pictures of actual LIVE equipment

eXodus
Premium
join:2005-08-04
Rockaway, NJ
reply to imseanbrown
Can someone explain the color coding on the big black wires on the rooftops?
--
-eXodus

Vaprotan
Vaprotan
Premium
join:2002-07-03
Kingsport, TN
I was curious about that myself.

Hahausuck
Premium
reply to imseanbrown
That's how they mark the antenna feeds. Each feed is connected to a different port on the radio. It's used to keep things orderly, so that if a feed is disconnected it can be reconnected in the same order.

I use the same method of marking CAT5 PoE cables on our WISP sites.

Hahausuck
Premium
reply to imseanbrown
What are you using for your 60 and 80 gig links? Bridgewave?