spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AlFrugal

@verizon.net

X won't start on 2 of my 3 Ubuntu kernels

My GRUB bootloader offers the choice of three Ubuntu 8.04 kernels: 2.6.24-21, 2.6.24-19, and 2.6.24-17. If I select 2.6.24-17, Ubuntu runs without problem, including Compiz. If I select either of the other two kernels, X fails to start. XOrg.O.log shows: (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (compatible NVIDIA X driver not found).

Here's the background: The original multiboot setup on my desktop PC consisted of Windows and Fedora, and used the GRUB bootloader installed in the MBR by Fedora. I later added Ubuntu to my PC. During Ubuntu installation, I elected not to install a bootloader. I manually added an Ubuntu entry for kernel 2.6.24-17 to /boot/grub/grub.conf (Fedora's /boot). Ubuntu boots fine, but when Ubuntu ships a kernel update, my Fedora-based GRUB menu is not updated to offer the newer Ubuntu kernel.

I recently installed GRUB into the boot sector of Ubuntu's partition. (I used a Knoppix v5.1.1 live-CD to install GRUB. The Knoppix GRUB is probably downlevel). This GRUB install automatically generated a /boot/grub/menu.lst in Ubuntu's /boot. I had to manually edit this file to include UUID's for the root= parameter. I then added a second Ubuntu entry to my /boot/grub/grub.conf (Fedora's /boot):

title Ubuntu 8.04 chainload
rootnoverify (hd1,7)
chainloader +1

The chainload boot works fine if I select Ubuntu kernel 2.6.24-17 from the (second) GRUB menu. If I select either of the other two Ubuntu kernels, X fails to start as described above.

FWIW, Ubuntu's /lib/modules contains folders for 2.6.24-21, 2.6.24-19, and 2.6.24-17 and each of these has an nvidia subfolder.

Why is X not starting on two of my three Ubuntu kernels?

yock
TFTC
Premium
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH
kudos:3
When you installed the nVidia driver, did you do it through the Ubuntu priprietary driver tool or did you install it manually? Chances are good that you need to recompile the driver against the new source headers.

Zaber
When all are gone, there shall be none

join:2000-06-08
Cleveland, OH
said by yock:

When you installed the nVidia driver, did you do it through the Ubuntu priprietary driver tool or did you install it manually? Chances are good that you need to recompile the driver against the new source headers.
There is also the possibility that the propriety driver was installed via the package, but only for his kernel.
--
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he will feed himself for a lifetime

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
On ubuntu 8.x, you should be using EnvyNG. It does the right thing when you install new kernels, or ATI/Nvidia release new drivers.

It's in the repository.

»albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

yock
TFTC
Premium
Miamisburg, OH
reply to Zaber
Really? I'd think that installing it through the package manager would maintain the dependencies. jdong See Profile may have better insight into this too.

Zaber

Cleveland, OH
It depends on which package he installs. While it is unlikely it is possible that he installed say linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-21 instead of linux-restricted-modules which would automatically install the next version when the kernel updated.

More likely he installed install manually using one of the older how-tos that do not take into account how easy Ubuntu is.
--
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he will feed himself for a lifetime

AlFrugal

@verizon.net
reply to AlFrugal
I'm the OP.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using nvidia driver 169.12. I installed it from the 'restricted' repo. I did not manually install the driver from the nvidia website.

According to Synaptic, I have installed linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24.12-17.36. Based on what Zaber posted in this thread, I used Synaptic to install plain linux-restricted-modules. I rebooted and tried to boot my 2.6.24-21 kernel. There was no change. X does not start.

Then, based on the suggestion of JohninSJ I used Synaptic to install EnvyNG.I rebooted my 2.6.24-17 kernel and checked for updates.(There were none). I then tried to boot my 2.6.24-21 kernel. There was no change. X does not start.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has additional ideas on how to debug this.

yock
TFTC
Premium
Miamisburg, OH
What version of X are you running? Is it from the official Ubuntu repositories? Have you tried reinstalling the nVidia driver anyway?

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to AlFrugal
After you install EnvyNG, you have to run it to do the setup for your card. After that it should track kernel upgrades.

Boot into the kernel you want to run

in a text root console,

# apt-get install envyng-gtk

then run

# envyng -g

Select your card (nvidia, I believe?)

then when it's done, restart.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Zaber

Cleveland, OH
reply to AlFrugal
The X server creates a log every time it starts/attempts to start. Can you post a copy of the log from a failed startup? If memory serves it is overwritten each time X attempts to start.
--

AlFrugal

@verizon.net
reply to JohnInSJ
Problem solved. Thanks JohninSJ. You saved me from a great deal of frustration beyond what I've already experienced with this problem.

I booted my problem kernel 2.6.24-21 in recovery mode. I selected 'root console' from the recovery mode menu.

I issued envyng -t -g (text mode for envyng was necessary because I couldn't get X to start with this kernel.)

envyng replaced nvidia driver 169.12 with 173.14.12. After rebooting kernel 2.6.24-21, X started!

Thanks for alerting me to the fact that I must run envyng for the desired kernel. I initially took the easy route and ran it for the kernel where X started normally (2.6.24-17). This did not solve the problem for kernel 2.6.24-21.

I had not been aware of envyng. I run mainly Fedora. I've learned from this that I should read the Ubuntu release notes!

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by AlFrugal :

Problem solved. Thanks JohninSJ. You saved me from a great deal of frustration beyond what I've already experienced with this problem.
Glad to be of help. It should work from here going forward if you get a new kernel. I think. If not, you know the drill now at least