jtk2
deleted
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Wheaton, IL

jtk2 to Vamp

Premium Member

to Vamp

Re: How Much Will A Leak In the Manifold Intake Cost Me?

So is there a specific point in time that this needs to be done, like at a certain mileage or whatever? Or does it just vary from car to car?

Vamp
5c077
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
MD

1 edit

Vamp

Premium Member

said by jtk2:

So is there a specific point in time that this needs to be done, like at a certain mileage or whatever? Or does it just vary from car to car?
No, it depends on what GM engine.. This affected mostly only mid 90s to early 00s. Certain engines like the 3800 (mine) were particularly bad. The ones I took off in the pictures I posted above are from a 98 with only 86k miles and from the condition it looks like its been bad for quite some time. Probably in early stages of a full out failure.

As far as install, if you do a lot of work yourself then the task really isn't that bad, I'd rate it like a 7/10 in difficulty, if of course you set aside an entire day, or maybe go slow over 2 days with a garage (definitely recommend in a garage)... Is it worth $600-1000? I don't think so... Though it did take me about 6~ hours with running into a couple snags, taking breaks and being a perfectionist at cleaning the gasket surfaces.
jtk2
deleted
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

jtk2

Premium Member

OK, thanks.

My car is a 2001 Regal with the 3800.

I'd have to borrow a garage. I'm currently hoping for the best...
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to Vamp

to Vamp
said by Vamp:

No, it depends on what GM engine.. This affected mostly only mid 90s to early 00s. Certain engines like the 3800 (mine) were particularly bad.
The 3800 never did have a lower intake manifold problem. Different engine line (the older model 3300-3800 is a 90 degree V6, the ones with the LIM gasket issue were 60 degree V6).

A much smaller number of 90 degree V6 had a different problem in that the head gasket (different gasket) would develop a leak after the plastic manifold would overheat and become slightly deformed.

Vamp
5c077
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
MD

2 edits

Vamp

Premium Member

said by IamGimli:
said by Vamp:

No, it depends on what GM engine.. This affected mostly only mid 90s to early 00s. Certain engines like the 3800 (mine) were particularly bad.
The 3800 never did have a lower intake manifold problem. Different engine line (the older model 3300-3800 is a 90 degree V6, the ones with the LIM gasket issue were 60 degree V6).

A much smaller number of 90 degree V6 had a different problem in that the head gasket (different gasket) would develop a leak after the plastic manifold would overheat and become slightly deformed.
Hmmm so why was mine failed and why do everyone do it on the 3800 forum I am apart of? all of which have some kind of pooling or oil mixing going on from this gasket. 3800 (Series 2) was most certainly badly affected by poor LIM gaskets.
IamGimli (banned)
Canada

IamGimli (banned)

said by Vamp:

Hmmm so why was mine failed and why do everyone do it on the 3800 forum I am apart of? all of which have some kind of pooling or oil mixing going on from this gasket. 3800 (Series 2) was most certainly badly affected by poor LIM gaskets.
Just because a failure may occur doesn't make it a widespread problem. There's also quite a lot of "old-school" mechanics who may be very good at what they do but couldn't tell you what the difference between a 60 degree V6 and a 90 degree V6 (or the difference between a head gasket and a lower intake manifold gasket) is and who have no problem spreading misinformation just cause they think they know what they're talking about.

Look up TSB #03-06-01-010B from GM. That's the one that applies directly to this problem and it only specifies the 60 degree V6 aka 3100 & 3400.
jtk2
deleted
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

jtk2

Premium Member

Not that this really means anything, but I noticed here:

»www.dexcoolsettlement.com/

the 3800 is included in the Group B settlement:

"Group B Covered Repairs: Repairs necessitated by engine coolant sealing issues, including replacement of throttle body gasket, upper intake manifold gasket, lower intake manifold gasket, or intake manifold."
IamGimli (banned)
Canada

IamGimli (banned)

...which are all caused by the issue I talked about previously, caused by the plastic intake manifold warping under heat, which isn't the same issue as the OP is suffering from.