spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Suburbia

@lechlerusa.com

Wireless router, basement placement, wired, wireless g and n

So, I was researching wireless routers, and just as a precursor, I have an old linksys router, draft N, from probably 3 years ago, and the following:

My main computer, wired to the router
a RAID, wired to the router
PS3, wireless g
Wii, wireless g
my sister's laptop, wireless g
my wife's computer, wireless n

well, needless to say, it's giving me issues with the connectivity of the PS3, which is 15 feet away, and issues with the laptop and my wife's computer, which are both upstairs, probably a total of 20-25 feet away.

So, I'm looking for, a) a wireless router that can work with g and n
b) one that has the ability to work with at least 6 devices, with the ability to expand, since I'm putting a set top box in soon,
and c) a wireless card to replace the one i have in my wife's computer that works best with whatever router we find.

Any suggestions? I found that the D-link DIR 655 and linksys 310N got great reviews, but the Belkin N+, though not able to use 5 MHz connections, got much much better reviews with mixed connections over good ranges.

Any opinions?

suburbia

@lechlerusa.com

Oh, plus, I'm in suburbia, so there are a lot of signals around me and I wondered if this would be negatively effected by those.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4
reply to Suburbia

I would avoid N in your scenario.
Instead I would probably opt for a device that was simulataneously A and G capable. A is not usually as saturated but you may not be able to change all users/devices to "A" networking

Suburbia

@lechlerusa.com

well, actually, as of last night I re-looked at some things and the scenario has changed:

I will be wiring up the main computer, RAID, PS3 and Wii, and once my sister moves out late next year, the only wireless connection will be the wireless N on my wife's computer, which, again, is pretty far way, up 2 flights, about 25 feet away.

Any additional computers we may have in the future will be wireless N compatible, and I was considering convincing my sister to get a wireless N dongle in the interim, too. This would make it such that we have 2 wireless connectors, both N.

So, if that's the case, i.e., if i eliminate the wireless g connection, would that change your assessment?

Suburbia

@lechlerusa.com

After putting a bit more thought into it, here's a possible solution... strike that, here's a simple question:

Is there any problem hooking up the cable modem to a router, hooking that up to 2 devices and another router, hooking that up to 2 devices and a third router, this one my current wireless N router, and hooking that up to 1 device as well as the 2 wireless devices?

any issues with connectivity if all 3 routers are gigabit?

stevech0

join:2006-09-17
San Diego, CA
reply to Suburbia

run it all in 11g mode. Disable 11n in the w-router.

Suburbia

@lechlerusa.com

Ok, great, but why would i do that if i already own an "N" router, and only have an "N" card seeking to link with it? Why would I go to "G" if I did not need to? What is the data to back that up? would I magically get better signal strength at range?

stevech0

join:2006-09-17
San Diego, CA

2 edits

You may have problems if some of your clients are 11g-only. The 11n standard isn't.

11n has no better range than 11g.

Better range is all about choice of antennas and placement of same. On a laptop, a USB WiFi adapter with a cable to permit better antenna placement usually helps.