spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mkanet

join:2008-06-11
Vallejo, CA

Do service techs use Trilithic 860 DSPs?

I'm curious if the tech scheduled for a "truck roll" to a customers house uses a Trilithic 860 DSP.

The reason I ask is because I'm curious if thats the right equipment to decode QAM256 channels and display uncorrectable /correctable errors (same stuff motorola cable boxes do).

I'm afraid they might send a complete moron to troubleshoot a problem thats over their head; wasting my time.

Drumtrip1
Root

join:2003-01-12
Missing
you can look at the datasheet here:
»www.trilithic.com/Broadband%20In···01F.html
--
»www.fark.com

mkanet

Vallejo, CA
I already looked at the datasheet. That still doesnt answer my question.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to mkanet
well what meters are used varies by market. Some contractors do not have meters if they are not issued. Either way if the tech has a meter its going to be the right one to test the system in which its used. Now if the tech is capable of using the meter is another story. My meter will not decode a QAM256 channel to give be any correctable/uncorrectable info. My meter will tell me what lvl the signal is, what the tilt looks like, any hum on the line, ingress levels and MER for a QAM channel. Motorola boxes dont do that. I dont let the box do my troubleshooting for me. You can get errors from a bad box(gasp!) or from a loose connection ( dont need a meter to tell me a fitting is loose)

It does suck for a sub to have a tech come out and be unable to fix the issue, wasting the subs time. I hate it just as much when a subs wastes my time tryin to tell me what they think thte best way to fix it or what torque wrench I should be using.
Expand your moderator at work

mkanet

Vallejo, CA

2 edits
reply to rendrenner

Re: Do service techs use Trilithic 860 DSPs?

Well, its definitely a Trilithic, possibly a dumbed down older model all Comcast techs and comcast techs are issued this in my area. It does do a simple QAM test, but not sure to what detail; and, probably test basic hum, tilt,MER, and possibly FEC levels. Loose cabling was tested at time of the install when the house was certified 8 weeks ago and tested today well. Nothing changed in the inside wiring of the brand new house. Uncorrectable errors are occuring on ALL my STBs; even when connected directly to the point of entry at the house. The problem started about 2 weeks ago all of a sudden.

As predicted, the tech escalated the problem to a network tech to come out tomorrow. My guess is this is where he takes more time looking into the problem starting from the plant to the POE at my house with better tools, possibly a wavetek.

Yes, I know it does suck having to deal with subs at a technical capacity; but tech also need to face the fact some subs are also highly technical in other professions in networking (troubleshooting T1,T3,DS3 and other circuits Cisco routed WANs; and that can offer good suggestions or at least know whats really going on.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
said by mkanet:

Yes, I know it does suck having to deal with subs at a technical capacity; but tech also need to face the fact some subs are also highly technical in other professions in networking (troubleshooting T1,T3,DS3 and other circuits Cisco routed WANs; and that can offer good suggestions or at least know whats really going on.
Its actually refreshing not having to dumb things down.
But there is a difference between "technical" and condescending.

And yes, Ive found bad routers, ill configured computers and botched DIY jobs by "engineers" and any other title they so boastfully throw at me.
I dont call them morons however.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

Drumtrip1
Root

join:2003-01-12
Missing

1 edit
reply to mkanet
said by mkanet:

The reason I ask is because I'm curious if thats the right equipment to decode QAM256 channels and display uncorrectable /correctable errors (same stuff motorola cable boxes do).
I partially answered your question on the meter, which should have been pretty obvious to you since there was no mention of the moronic level of Comcast's techs on Trilithic's webpage.

mkanet

Vallejo, CA
reply to CableTool
I wasn't going to bother replying to your opinion since it didnt seem to help answer any questions constructively like the other person did.

But, just to clarify I said originally I was "afraid they might send a completely moron to troubleshoot a problem that's over their head; wasting my time"... and, unfortunately, based on my experience, some of the tech aren't really qualified to handle anything other than tighen cables. replace bad connectors, cable boxes; particularly contractors; which are usually best suited for new installs.

said by CableTool:

said by mkanet:

Its actually refreshing not having to dumb things down.

And yes, Ive found bad routers, ill configured computers and botched DIY jobs by "engineers" and any other title they so boastfully throw at me.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to mkanet
most techs will have a DSAM of some sort, 860's at least here in my area are reserved for us maint. techs, and a few higher level fulfillment techs...both read MER/BER...any meter a tech has will read those...

CableTool
Premium
reply to mkanet
said by mkanet:

But, just to clarify I said originally I was "afraid they might send a completely moron to troubleshoot a problem that's over their head; wasting my time"... and, unfortunately, based on my experience, some of the tech aren't really qualified to handle anything other than tighen cables. replace bad connectors, cable boxes
I wish I could understand that stance. It is true there are different levels of skill when it comes to most industrys. And with the recent rapid advances and demand in the cable industry hiring is still at full throttle even in this economy. The rookies outnumber the veterens in most shops.

I just hope when you were staring out your education and practice with your proffesion that someone wasnt standing behind you calling you a moron.
--

mkanet

Vallejo, CA
That's exactly my point. I dont have that problem; as in my current profession, I train lesser experienced engineers with the skillset they need to know; with the communications skills to talk to the person in a mannor they understand at any capacity. CableTool, no offense, but you wouldnt make it too far if you were one of my trainees. While others are providing useful info in this thread, you keep ranting with comments that dont help in this thread. Get over it.

said by CableTool:

said by mkanet:

But, just to clarify I said originally I was "afraid they might send a completely moron to troubleshoot a problem that's over their head; wasting my time"... and, unfortunately, based on my experience, some of the tech aren't really qualified to handle anything other than tighen cables. replace bad connectors, cable boxes
I wish I could understand that stance. It is true there are different levels of skill when it comes to most industrys. And with the recent rapid advances and demand in the cable industry hiring is still at full throttle even in this economy. The rookies outnumber the veterens in most shops.

I just hope when you were staring out your education and practice with your proffesion that someone wasnt standing behind you calling you a moron.

annoyed tech5416

@comcast.net
reply to mkanet
Sounds like he is one of those my house was prewired I did it myself because I am an engineer and know everything about everything customers that you just smile and nod at as you change bad fitting after bad fitting after bad fitting everywhere in the house. Maybe throw in a an amp or two purchased off some electronics website cus two amps are better than one and 10 db behind a digital box is not as good as 25 db. I love trouble calls at this guys house because you know no matter what you do it well repeat on you so you just fix it as best you can forget to run your demos cus the job is gonna repeat no matter what and fail anyways and move on to the next house.

CableTool
Premium
reply to mkanet
said by mkanet:

That's exactly my point. I dont have that problem; as in my current profession, I train lesser experienced engineers with the skillset they need to know; with the communications skills to talk to the person in a mannor they understand at any capacity. CableTool, no offense, but you wouldnt make it too far if you were one of my trainees. While others are providing useful info in this thread, you keep ranting with comments that dont help in this thread. Get over it.

I think anyone reading this thread understands where Im coming from and would most likely view your demeanor in the same way. I really feel no need to defend my perception.

Saying you do not want a "moron" in your home is umwarranted, mean spirited and condescending. If you cannot see that then I truly feel sorry for those around you and those that have to deal with you. This thread included.
--

Phugg

join:2004-09-30
Riverbank, CA
reply to mkanet
The N Bay system is a great wealth of knowledge. They have consistantly been in the top of all metrics for years. Yes they carry DSams (860s I think). Your call got escalated to Maint/Network which means the issue was outside the drop to your home. More than likely the tech will not even come to your door. If protocol is the same , they will start outside at your tap and work backwards. Standard techs (like myself) do not go as deep as you would like, we look at a good range of signal to check for issues. We do not have the time to analyze every single haystack. We can and will check for slope and streangth between a given low freq and a given high freq , with many points in between.

As for the attitude , we are used to them (the techs). People still have the " Cable Guy" mentality and do not realize what is actually involved in the industry now. I have seen people come an go for 12 years now. It seems that if you are not willing to learn the technology then you are not willing to be employed. (At the company level , not contract). I have had to work on CEO's homes in Danville who swear theat "everything is perfect I paid for it to be that way" and everything was poop.

CableTool
Premium
Way more diplomatic...

To add and close, to come on a forum and ask for a technicians response to a question and then close by calling their co-workers morons is at the very least- In poor taste and poor character. And if in retrospect that isnt obvious then Ive wasted 8 minutes of my life on this thread.
--

mkanet

Vallejo, CA
reply to CableTool
In case you havent noticed, the only difference between your repeated opinionated responses and what others have to say (who are actually providing helpful technical information) are that you keep focusing on something specific I said which you're taking personally; it appears in this case "the shoe fits".. and, sorry if you took personal offense to that. Experienced techs know how to deal with all sorts of customers without provocation; whether the sub is right, wrong, cocky, high aptitude for technology, etc. I'm kindly asking you to quit trolling in this thread if there's no further technical information you can add.

said by CableTool:

said by mkanet:

I think anyone reading this thread understands where Im coming from and would most likely view your demeanor in the same way. I really feel no need to defend my perception.

Saying you do not want a "moron" in your home is umwarranted, mean spirited and condescending. If you cannot see that then I truly feel sorry for those around you and those that have to deal with you. This thread included.

mkanet

Vallejo, CA
reply to Phugg
Thanks Phugg, you experience shows; and, provided the best response I could ask for.

Thanks again.

said by Phugg:

The N Bay system is a great wealth of knowledge. They have consistantly been in the top of all metrics for years. Yes they carry DSams (860s I think). Your call got escalated to Maint/Network which means the issue was outside the drop to your home. More than likely the tech will not even come to your door. If protocol is the same , they will start outside at your tap and work backwards. Standard techs (like myself) do not go as deep as you would like, we look at a good range of signal to check for issues. We do not have the time to analyze every single haystack. We can and will check for slope and streangth between a given low freq and a given high freq , with many points in between.

As for the attitude , we are used to them (the techs). People still have the " Cable Guy" mentality and do not realize what is actually involved in the industry now. I have seen people come an go for 12 years now. It seems that if you are not willing to learn the technology then you are not willing to be employed. (At the company level , not contract). I have had to work on CEO's homes in Danville who swear theat "everything is perfect I paid for it to be that way" and everything was poop.

egnlsn
Premium
join:2003-09-26
Salt Lake City, UT
reply to CableTool
said by CableTool:

I once had an electrical engineer tell me his box was bad (it obviously was dead). Flipped on the light switch by the door and the "dead" box sure was giving good pictures.
--
CIAO!

CableTool
Premium

1 edit
reply to mkanet
I didnt take anything personally. Ive been doing this for 14 years and have teams under me and treat all customers with respect. Its a shame the opposite doesnt hold true.
--
Expand your moderator at work