funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to Chuckdez

MVM

to Chuckdez

Re: DIR-655 reboots when using wireless.

said by Chuckdez :

The makes no sense. Why would they design it to reboot under certain conditions?
Two reasons:

1. ...Because if it's picking up radar or dead carrier, then the channel is in use. It reboots in order to shift to another channel (if you have channel auto-selection on). I'm not sure if it was an FCC regulation or if other countries required it, but Wi-Fi is a secondary user of bandwidth in many jurisdictions and this feature was probably required.

2. ...Because if it's picking up a hot signal but not getting data, then a process may be hung. It reboots in order to restart all the processes. That's a common feature in embedded systems and servers called a "watchdog." It's intended to make a system at least somewhat available when the alternative is to just go offline.

Chuckdez
@boeing.com

Chuckdez

Anon

The wifi can change channels without rebooting. Have you looked at the frequencies that radar uses? B/G/N uses 2.4ghz which is not close to the K/Ka bands used by police. Your shooting at the stars with these claims.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra ··· cy_bands

Like I mentioned before leaving the Admin password empty fixed the reboot problems.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 edit

funchords

MVM

said by Chuckdez :

Your shooting at the stars with these claims.
Thank you. I really appreciate that.

I am shooting at stars in debugging your device -- I have no earthly idea. Hardware fails. These devices have a 1 year warranty. Call Technical Support, get an RMA. HTH. Yours seems like it's failed radio hardware. Why leaving the password blank fixes anything is beyond my understanding.

I'm not shooting at stars as to Radar or stuck-open xmitters. I've seen the code for other Wi-Fi devices. I know that the DIR-655 has the AR5008E-3NX chipset and complies with 802.11h which does -- wait for it -- radar avoidance.

Again, I'm not saying your issue radar, or that radar is used on those frequencies in your area -- radar detection can be tripped by a hung computer near you with a software wi-fi stack -- putting out a dead carrier. It could be non-wifi in source -- these are shared. But it could be the radar-avoidance code being triggered by receiving a dead carrier or failed hardware.

I don't know if the DIR-655 reboots to implement channel-changing (I agree with you that that it shouldn't have to). I do know that previous D-Link AP products (such as the DI-500/600/700 family) did reboot the unit in hopes that the random channel selection would pick a clearer one upon restart.