Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kmichalec

join:2002-01-03
Rochester, MI

VPN on Comcast?

Any word on the VPN capabilities? I'm currently still on @Home until that start of February (when we are supposed to get switched), and I can still connect to my work VPN fine. But I have three coworkers who all got switched from MediaOne to Comcast this weekend, and none of them can connect anymore. They appear to not even be able to achieve Authentication, because they never even get to the User Name prompt on the VPN software. They are able to browse the net, however (albeit, very slowly, but they can). I heard about the Comcast Pro for $95 they are trying to push, but from all the atricles I read, it didn't appear that they were actually denying connections to VPNs on the basic service, just monitoring to see if you are using a VPN for like 8 hours a day vs. occasionally. If they found that you were using to much bandwidth, then they tell you to switch. Does it appear like they are now denying VPN connections? I'm trying to find out before my switch happens. If so, then I'll tell them not to bother and move to DSL.

avd14

Belleville, NJ
I just got my connection working after the transition to Comcast Internet. Hooked up my LinkSys router and tested VPN. Everything looks good so far. My speed is 1.2Mbps down/120kbps Up.

blackjackz

Hazel Park, MI
reply to kmichalec
Did the conversion about 5 days ago. VPN is fine.

chaoticpoet
Some Dumb Geek

join:2001-12-31
Dearborn Heights, MI
reply to kmichalec
Seems to be a mixed bunch with VPN, 50/50 working/not working. All I can suggest if it doesn't work, play with your settings.

kmichalec

Rochester, MI
reply to kmichalec
Thanks for the response.

That's wierd. Not the answer I was expecting. Did you have to do anything different to connect? What VPN software are you using? We use the Cisco 5000 VPN (Ford issue, no choice). Anyone around the Canton or Livonia area experiencing anything like this? That is where all three of my coworkers are located.

rhoniss3

join:2000-11-15
Canton, MI
reply to kmichalec
I also use Cisco's VPN (Ford in Livonia). Change your NAT port to 8000. It should work.

kmichalec

Rochester, MI
Thanks rhoniss. Is this something that you had to change after the upgrade to get it to work? Was it set at 80 before (the default, I think)? Thanks so much for the help!

rhoniss3

join:2000-11-15
Canton, MI
Yep, I got the new setting from the VPN site within Ford. The default setting is 80. I tried it this evening and it works just fine.

potsie20

join:2001-12-29
Ann Arbor, MI
reply to kmichalec
I tried the other VPN client that Ford has available (Bay I think?) and it worked just fine over Comcast on Win98 boxes. It hated Win2K.

For anybody else using the Cisco VPN client, was the key to switch to port 8000 on NAT transparency?

I'm running an SMC Barricade at home to network three machines on the cable modem.

chris in ann arbor

Deedah

join:2001-12-30
Plymouth, MI
Posted on PCMike.com

Deedah [guest] from PC Mike Wendland
VPN Service Posted 1-4-2002 05:18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comcast's response:

Q: Can I connect to my employer's network through VPN software using Comcast High-Speed Internet Service?

A: Because of the unique nature of VPNs, including security issues and bandwidth requirements, Comcast has established a special product called ComcastPro. It is competitively priced and offers advantages in comparison to similar services. For information, please call a local representative at 1.888.COMCAST. Also, managed service solutions to Internet and other telecommunications needs are available through local representatives at Comcast Business Communications - 1.888.205.5000.

This is quite infuriating. Actually, this is a clever lie. It takes more effort to "block" the use of VPN than to not. VPN, like any other service, uses a package of "ports" (similar to TV stations 2, 3, 4, etc.) for the home computer and the computer that accepts the VPN connection. Blocking it simply means that the internet traffic that uses those ports is stopped before it leaves Comcast's network.

Lastly, there is no issue with security running VPN on a cable modem. VPN was *designed* to run on insecure connections, as it encrypts ALL data passed to and from the private network and the PC using VPN.

This manipulation of the not-so-knowledgable is the kind of game I have seen technology companies play on consumers for years, but rarely this blatantly. It's shameful.

kmichalec

Rochester, MI
reply to potsie20
What Cisco VPN 5000 client are you using? I found the NAT Port textbox next to the NAT Transparency checkbox on the Win2K and NT version, but not on the 95,98 version (or at least I couldn't find it anywhere. Maybe I'm missing it somewhere? Should it be next to the Use NAT Transparency Mode checkbox?). Any ideas on how to change it in the 95,98 version?

kmichalec

Rochester, MI
reply to Deedah
said by Deedah:
Posted on PCMike.com

Deedah [guest] from PC Mike Wendland
VPN Service Posted 1-4-2002 05:18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comcast's response:

Q: Can I connect to my employer's network through VPN software using Comcast High-Speed Internet Service?

A: Because of the unique nature of VPNs, including security issues and bandwidth requirements, Comcast has established a special product called ComcastPro. It is competitively priced and offers advantages in comparison to similar services. For information, please call a local representative at 1.888.COMCAST. Also, managed service solutions to Internet and other telecommunications needs are available through local representatives at Comcast Business Communications - 1.888.205.5000.

This is quite infuriating. Actually, this is a clever lie. It takes more effort to "block" the use of VPN than to not. VPN, like any other service, uses a package of "ports" (similar to TV stations 2, 3, 4, etc.) for the home computer and the computer that accepts the VPN connection. Blocking it simply means that the internet traffic that uses those ports is stopped before it leaves Comcast's network.

Lastly, there is no issue with security running VPN on a cable modem. VPN was *designed* to run on insecure connections, as it encrypts ALL data passed to and from the private network and the PC using VPN.

This manipulation of the not-so-knowledgable is the kind of game I have seen technology companies play on consumers for years, but rarely this blatantly. It's shameful.
Deedah,

I read the same thing. What a joke! It's amazing they can get away with something like that. It's about as close to a lie as you can get without actually lying. How greedy and pathetic, really...

potsie20

join:2001-12-29
Ann Arbor, MI
reply to kmichalec
What version of the VPN client for Win95/98 are you running? I believe the most up to date version has the same settings as the Win2K client.

Heide

@westln01.mi.comcast.
reply to kmichalec
I am using the latest Cisco 5000 client and tried changing the NAT port to 8000 (next to NAT Transparency mode checked on). This did not work for me. Does the Cisco VPN concentrator need to be configured to utilize this port (ie. is this a Ford specific implementation rather than a general solution?). Also, I have a cable/dsl router/firewall (Netgear RT314). I assume that port 8000 will not necessarilly pass through automatically.

PS - Everything worked like a dream with RoadRunner