D'oh
join:2001-07-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

TearAbite to John Galt6

to John Galt6

Re: Habits of wasps (yellow jackets)

yeah.. only problem is that according to:
»www.livingwithbugs.com/epw.html
Paper wasps are not attracted to artificial wasp traps nor will poison baits likely work because paper wasps require live prey.

Maybe i can sacrifice a neighborhood cat if i can squeeze one into the trap..

chevyrulz0991 to TearAbite

Anon

to TearAbite
When I was about 10, i lived in FL.

Bugs down there, well you all probably well know already.

Anyways, standard concrete house, exterior bedroom.

One morning I woke up, about 10 years old, and saw a few in the room. Went to get the mom, and she came in, tracked them down.

There were HUNDREDS behing my headboard. They had dug a hole in the wall, and Im assuming they came in through a crack in the exterior wall.

You guys wanna talk about freaky, I didnt sleep in that room for 3 months! There must have been @ least 500 of them suckers, what I believe to be some form of bee, from what I can remember.

I could have very well of died.

Since then, I see one, I KILL IT.

rawgerz
The hell was that?
Premium Member
join:2004-10-03
Grove City, PA

rawgerz to TearAbite

Premium Member

to TearAbite
Just keep what you are doing by sucking them up with the vacuum. This house has had lots of them this year, and this time of the year, they're all down here coming from the attic. My guess is they're trying to find somewhere warm to hide for the winter, then see a window, and just HAVE to want to go outside. Now that it's getting really cold I don't see many of them now. I had that exact type sting me too when I went to bed, one hid out under the covers and got me a few times, but it was nothing compared to a really large yellow jacket.

If you really want rid of them, keep all windows closed without a screen, set off some flea bombs throughout the entire house, attic and downstairs, and they'll either be dead in 2 weeks, or unable to fly. I tried this in the spring and it works amazingly well to at least make them unable to fly.

TearAbite
D'oh
join:2001-07-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

TearAbite

I've found that sucking them up with the dust-buster just pisses them off - then they fly directly to the window of the room i took them out of when i empty it..
NEXT time i'll use the Dyson to suck them up.. That should scramble them pretty well..

rawgerz
The hell was that?
Premium Member
Grove City, PA

rawgerz

Premium Member

Just dump em' down the toilet afterwards

Agent Smith2
join:2008-07-07
New York

2 edits

Agent Smith2 to TearAbite

to TearAbite
Just make a flamethrower and fire it while the wasp is coming at you.

Ill use a Lysol spray and a ligher.

james16
join:2001-02-26

james16 to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

Wait your wife wakes you up about wasps in your baby's room that could harm it and you call that whining?

I got lost on that one if that is what you mean.
Uh, maybe she should grow up, act her f-ing age and get rid of it herself. It seems that Women are only "liberated" when it suits them, how convenient.

hurfy
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Spokane, WA

hurfy to TearAbite

Premium Member

to TearAbite
Maybe they started a nest inside and want in to finish.

All i know is they do try and go for the same spot....

I went to put gas in my car on the way out of town (can go for months with no refill) and found a wasp nest behind the filler door! Gas station had no wasp spray but they did have one of those industrial vacuums About a month after returning i found they had starting rebuilding the nest in the same spot. This time they got dosed with that killer foam

Bah, this reminds me i need to clean out the nest in a parts car trunk i tried to look in (for about 2 seconds!) this summer

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

1 edit

dandelion

MVM

said by hurfy:

Maybe they started a nest inside and want in to finish.

That was my thought also, look very carefully on the inside of the window and throughout the room, even closets. Those paper nests can be very small. I finally found one on my front porch by watching where they went...the were going in a small hole in a decorative post and I couldn't even see the nest...plugged it with goop and no more wasps.

sdgthy
@optonline.net

sdgthy to Agent Smith2

Anon

to Agent Smith2
said by Agent Smith2:

Just make a flamethrower and fire it while the wasp is coming at you.

Ill use a Lysol spray and a ligher.
I prefer WD-40. And if you don't have to worry about what else it'll get on, lacquer thinner will kill them instantly on contact.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to TearAbite

Premium Member

to TearAbite
yellowjackets are no fun. a swarm of over 300+ killed my brother's rottie a few years ago

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium Member
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

SmokChsr to TearAbite

Premium Member

to TearAbite
Also Check your eve's very closely, I've had them nesting in the attic, going in through a hole for the freon lines of the AC. Then they were coming into the house around the indoor AC unit. By the time I found the nest it was about 2' in diameter. If you do find a big nest, plan on taking care of them at night while they are dormant, much safer that way.

Littlem129
Premium Member
join:2007-05-13
White Pine, TN

1 recommendation

Littlem129 to TearAbite

Premium Member

to TearAbite
If you find a wasp nest and you don't have any wasp spray
on hand you can use hairspray. It won't kill them, but they will fall to the ground. The hairspray sticks their wings to there body so they can't fly and it gives you a chance to stomp them.

Another place wasps can come in is through the exhaust fan over the stove.

I was starting dinner one evening a couple months ago and I had turned the light on above the stove. I turned away to get something off the counter and when I went back to the stove there were two wasps there. I wasn't paying much attention at the time so I didn't realize where they had came from. I killed those two and then turned the exhaust fan on, out came several more, killed those. Went outside and checked the vent for the fan and I could hear buzzing like crazy. I wasn't tall enough to see what was in there so I yelled for my husband. He looked and sure enough there was a nest with 50 or 60 wasp in there. The hose for the shop vac was too big to go in the vent so we had to go back inside, turn the fan on and wait till they started flying out and suck them up with the vac. After they all flew out hubby checked the vent outside and found that it was stuck open. He fixed it, but I'm going to keep an eye on it next spring. I definitely don't want to go through that again.

Vtblues
if you can't get out of it, get in to it
Premium Member
join:2006-05-29
Brookfield, VT

Vtblues to SmokChsr

Premium Member

to SmokChsr
said by SmokChsr:

Also Check your eve's very closely, I've had them nesting in the attic, going in through a hole for the freon lines of the AC. Then they were coming into the house around the indoor AC unit. By the time I found the nest it was about 2' in diameter. If you do find a big nest, plan on taking care of them at night while they are dormant, much safer that way.
Would you recommend the best time to check your eaves to be in the eves?

clevere1
Premium Member
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

said by Vtblues:

Would you recommend the best time to check your eaves to be in the eves?
In the evening when the sun has gone down. Wasps are a little less aggressive at that time.
RX300
join:2004-02-23
Bluff Dale, TX

RX300 to TearAbite

to TearAbite
When you find a nest wait until just before dark to kill them all. They will all be on the nest. You don't have to use poison. In a large glass mix a strong water and liquid soap solution and throw the soapy water on the nest. Kills them dead.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to TearAbite

to TearAbite
Hopefully your yellowjacket problem won't get as bad as this problem with honeybees.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79

Premium Member

said by fatness:

Hopefully your yellowjacket problem won't get as bad as this problem with honeybees.
Holy shit. I'm amazed he let it go for so long. But I wonder if some beekeeper wouldn't have wanted the bees and would have captured them for free.

rawgerz
The hell was that?
Premium Member
Grove City, PA

rawgerz

Premium Member

Honeycomb big, yeah yeah yeah
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79

Premium Member

quote:
If anyone else ever has this issue, it is best to call your local pest controller or the department of fisheries. They will be able to contact an experienced bee keeper who will come and remove the bees at no charge. The bees make up an entire hive and are very valuable in honey production and pollination. Please dont kill the bees if you find a swarm in your backyard.