Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to TearAbite

MVM

to TearAbite

Re: Habits of wasps (yellow jackets)

Check all around the window for small openings where they may have built a nest in the walls.

Not that it matters, but "Yellow Jackets" aren't wasps. They normally live in the ground. You have wasps.
dmagerl
Premium Member
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL

dmagerl

Premium Member

German Yellow Jackets nest in cavities. Eastern Yellow Jackets nest in the ground. They look similar. The German Yellow Jacket is an introduced species and is more agressive than the native Yellow Jacket.

I've had several run-ins with Yellow Jacket nests in wall cavities.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

What regions are they found. I've not encountered that variety in PA.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79 to dmagerl

Premium Member

to dmagerl
said by dmagerl:

I've had several run-ins with Yellow Jacket nests in wall cavities.
And they'll even eat through gypsum wallboard and come into your house that way. It happened to my neighbor. All of a sudden there were yellow jackets in her bedroom. She ran out, closed the door, and called an exterminator.

Fluke
Premium Member
join:2008-06-24
Groton, CT

2 edits

Fluke to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
said by Johkal:

Check all around the window for small openings where they may have built a nest in the walls.

Not that it matters, but "Yellow Jackets" aren't wasps. They normally live in the ground. You have wasps.
You are misinformed :P yellow Jackets are indeed wasps

We once had a yellow jacket nest in our bathroom wall. We didnt know what this strange sound was we could here and my dad was like I think something is in the wall. His bright idea was to make a hole in the wall with a hammer... I guess you can tell what happened next lol we all ran from the bathroom and closed the door thinking that would stop them

But every once in a while we would find a couple in the room never seeing any outside so like the others here have said, maybe its in the walls