share rss forum feed

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX
kudos:3

[Austin] Stinky tap water?

Starting today the water coming out of my tap water stinks and taste funny. The smell is similar to the way a fish tank smells.

I know a while back there was a problem where algae in the reservoirs was causing the water to taste funky and smell bad. Is this the problem again? Anyone else in Austin have stinky water?

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
I haven't noticed it today. Normally the smell you are referring to happens when the lake "turns over". This doesn't happen until we have a really cold spell. What happens is the surface water gets really cold and heavy and it then goes to the bottom. When this happens it brings up water from the bottom and one part or the other is what usually makes the smell -- I don't remember right now if it is the surface water going to the bottom or the bottom water coming to the surface which smells. The important thing here is that we haven't had nearly enough cold weather to make the lake "turn over" so I don't know what you are smelling.

MrMaster
jetsetter
Premium
join:2000-12-16
St Thomas, VI
reply to alg
No problems here. It still tastes like Austin water and I didn't see anything on the news last night.
--
One never notices what has been done; one can only see what remains to be done. -Marie Curie

Kiwi
Premium
join:2003-05-26
USA/MidWest
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
reply to alg
Well, that's a bit different. People around here get so used to the drift up from slightly South East that they no longer notice the air smells like a sewer.

The water is protected around here, fish can't shit or piss in the water, Coons, Rabbits and squirrels have to crawl onto land to die; a bird better take it's own life if it thinks a fly over toilet is a good thing. More importantly, they keep people out of the water, no swimming and of course diesel and gas engines on boats are always used with the prop airborne. Leaves are not allowed to fall deeper than 3".

Had to try for some fun One of those things is true.