dynodb
Premium Member
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

dynodb

Premium Member

Another one bites the dust

Yet another Muni bites the dust. Is there a list somewhere of failed municipal broadband initiatives, or would it be too long to fit on one page?

Of course the next time a state or local government proposes becoming a broadband provider, most on BBR will think it's a great idea.
Expand your moderator at work

badtrip
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20

2 edits

1 recommendation

badtrip

Premium Member

Re: Another one bites the dust

No, Albany is

EDIT: I live in Albany. It was a joke Mr. Mod =/

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

1 recommendation

sashwa to Anon

Mod

to Anon
That is not true!

I think they are failing because they don't offer the internet speeds that Comcast offers and the upcoming change 2/09 in TV.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to dynodb

Premium Member

to dynodb
said by dynodb:

Yet another Muni bites the dust. Is there a list somewhere of failed municipal broadband initiatives, or would it be too long to fit on one page?

Of course the next time a state or local government proposes becoming a broadband provider, most on BBR will think it's a great idea.
And how many telecommunication companies have failed over the years?
Expand your moderator at work

boku
@comcast.net

boku to Matt3

Anon

to Matt3

Re: Another one bites the dust

I bet it is OVER 9000!
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to sashwa

to sashwa
cable does NOT have to change anything to digital in 2/09 that is only for OTA tv viewers. Comcast has a private network and would not be affected by the change. The only thing MSOs want to do is move all the channels to digital to free up that used space for more digital channels, HDTV, and internet. but are NOT required to do so.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

The last time I talked with AP&T, they told me they had to buy some expensive equipment to reconvert the digital signal back to an analog signal. I took that with a grain of salt.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

actually we dont know where they were at. its possible that they only recieve a analog signal. and after feb. that signal goes away. its very possible that they would have to upgrade after the feb deadline if thats the case.
rody_44

rody_44 to boku

Premium Member

to boku
the article says comcast competes directly with them. in them cases where comcast buys systems where they already have plant they usually would scrap the old and use there own.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

1 edit

sashwa

Mod

Yes, we do or at least did have a choice between Comcast and AP&T. Comcast was here first as far as I know.
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer

said by sashwa:

Yes, we do or at least did have a choice between Comcast and AP&T. Comcast was here first as far as I know.
According to one article the decision to build the system was made 10 years ago because Alameda was unhappy with both TCI and AT&T Broadband. So the Alameda city leaders were right that AT&T didn't know how to run a cable company in 1998 but wrong with their long term prediction of the market.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

1 edit

sashwa

Mod

TCI was bought out by AT&T way back then if I remember correctly. :-D

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to sashwa

Premium Member

to sashwa
Give Comcast a try sashwa, your price will likely rise to $42.95, but you should get 12/2 for that (if the plant is up to current standards)

kieranmullen
Premium Member
join:2005-12-12
Portland, OR

kieranmullen to boku

Premium Member

to boku
That doesn't work here. Try digg or reddit.
said by boku :

I bet it is OVER 9000!

ninjatutle
Premium
join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle to badtrip

to badtrip
No one has a sense of humor here