uniqs
share rss forum feed

paintref
Look, I see stars

join:2003-02-21
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Finding out who/what company a phone number belongs to?

There is number that has been calling me every morning on my cell phone that when I pick up to answer, they just hang up. No message is left on my voicemail, so I don't know who called.

I tried calling the number back, but I keep getting a busy signal.

I have tried looking up the number on google, but have had no success. Only way was to pay to look it up. All I know is, its a 972 area code (Dallas Metro (overlays 214/469)).

The number in question is: 972-755-3596

The only possibility I can think of is someone from my rugby referee organization, but I crossed check the number to the referee roster and couldn't find it. Besides, I would find it highly irregular for this organization not to leave me a message.

Is there a way to find out who the number in question belongs to without spending the money?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.
--
Full Time Train/Flight Simulation Addict

TearAbite
D'oh

join:2001-07-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
kudos:2

I tried
»www.411.com/search/ReversePhone?···e=survey

but it doesn't come up with much, other than phone provider..

Fubar16

join:2001-02-20
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2
reply to paintref

US Census Bureau, Dallas Office...

paintref
Look, I see stars

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

said by Fubar16:

US Census Bureau, Dallas Office...
Ahh thanks AZ...I did apply for a job with them as a census taker for the 2010 census.

I find it highly irregular that they can't leave a message though.

Oh well, life goes on

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
kudos:1
reply to paintref

Same here:
»www.numberzoom.com/en/?title=Main_Page
Nothing pops for this phone number.

Are you actually hearing a hang up as soon as you pick up, paintref? What you're describing is what happens with some high-volume telemarketers, where machines dial out dozens of lines at a time and then, if somebody answers, a few telemarketers actually in cubicles talk to the really unlucky victims. But many people hear silence, because there aren't enough telemarketers to pick up. Then the line disconnects quietly and tries again later. But most telemarketers call in late afternoons and evenings, not in the mornings.

If you're actually hearing a hang-up and it keeps happening frequently, and you want it stopped, in most states, what's happening to you is considered harassment, and you can follow this advice to stop it:
»www.letswrap.com/legal/harass.htm

paintref
Look, I see stars

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by runnoft:

Same here:
»www.numberzoom.com/en/?title=Main_Page
Nothing pops for this phone number.

Are you actually hearing a hang up as soon as you pick up, paintref? What you're describing is what happens with some high-volume telemarketers, where machines dial out dozens of lines at a time and then, if somebody answers, a few telemarketers actually in cubicles talk to the really unlucky victims. But many people hear silence, because there aren't enough telemarketers to pick up. Then the line disconnects quietly and tries again later. But most telemarketers call in late afternoons and evenings, not in the mornings.
Thanks for the tips.

As AZ stated above it was the US Census Bureau with which I applied for a job. I just have not had the chance to pick up because I was still asleep.

If it is indeed a telemarketer, I will use the tips provided above.

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
kudos:1
reply to paintref

OK, cool. Good luck with the job hunt; I hope it works out.

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL
reply to paintref

»www.telcodata.us/telcodata/telco
»www.fonefinder.net/

Chuck T

@comcast.net
reply to paintref

My caller ID indentifies the caller from 972-755-3596 as "US Census".

paintref
Look, I see stars

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to paintref

This thread can be considered closed now

We've already established that the phone number in question belongs to the US Census in previous postings.

Thanks to all that took the time to reply