Search similar:

uniqs
qworster
join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA

2 edits

qworster

The whole thing is a scam

The whole thing is a scam to get taxpayer money. Look at the automakers-who flew from Detroit to D.C. yesterday on THREE corporate jets-to ask for taxpayer money to bail them out from their own bad decisions.

The PERFECT example of how truly CLUELESS the heads of big business are. These IDIOTS didn't even learn from the AIG PR fiasco 'holiday' last month!

Now AT&T wants their share-and is threatenng to have 'rolling Internet blackouts' if they don't get it.

Who's next- Comcast? Time Warner? Verizon?

How much do you want to bet that if we had COMPETITION that all of this would be a red herring?

Unfortunately, the FCC under the Republicans made sure that THERE IS NO REAL INTERNET COMPETITION!

One MORE Bush mess for Obama to clean up!
radougherty
join:1999-07-23
Austin, TX

radougherty

Just look how well deregulation has worked on Wall Street and the banks.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat to qworster

Premium Member

to qworster
Man, no competition? Damn, then who are these NuVox, XO, Deltacom, Cavalier, Cox, TW Telecom, cBeyond, and Cogent guys I have customers telling they are getting quotes from daily. Must be imaginary!
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan

Premium Member

The US has no residential broadband competition. You typically have a choice between Comcast or AT&T. Which one is worse I'm not entirely sure.

There is no way for a new player to enter the game since the telco's and cable companies own the pipes.

vaporland
@forethought.net

vaporland

Anon

I live in Denver and my only options are expensive Comcast or crummy Qwest for broadband internet.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat to nitzan

Premium Member

to nitzan
said by nitzan:

The US has no residential broadband competition. You typically have a choice between Comcast or AT&T. Which one is worse I'm not entirely sure.

There is no way for a new player to enter the game since the telco's and cable companies own the pipes.
I'll agree with that, it is rather limited on residential Internet side. Though, while it is a huge money maker, it is only one part of the business, and basically only one product.
qworster
join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA

1 edit

qworster to Mizzat

to Mizzat
said by Mizzat:

Man, no competition? Damn, then who are these NuVox, XO, Deltacom, Cavalier, Cox, TW Telecom, cBeyond, and Cogent guys I have customers telling they are getting quotes from daily. Must be imaginary!
Yeah, there's competition-IF you want to shell out over 3 grand a month to buy an OC3! The average consumer, if they are lucky has TWO choices for broadband: Cable or DSL
Even here, in the heart of Los Angeles, I have TWO broadband choices, Time Warner or AT&T. See, AT&T maintains a MONOPOLY on dry line DSL in their California operating area.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat

Premium Member

OC3 cost a lot more than 3 grand, and I was refering to business services, lots of competition. Not enough profit for residential services for providers to come in, I guess.

kamm
join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

kamm to Mizzat

to Mizzat
said by Mizzat:

Have you born like this? There's no competition whatsoever in most big cities, not matter where you live when you are ordering cable tv, internet service etc.

Cable companies are the most disgusting PoS business monopolies, they should be squashed like a bug.
kamm

kamm to Mizzat

to Mizzat
said by Mizzat:

OC3 cost a lot more than 3 grand, and I was refering to business services, lots of competition. Not enough profit for residential services for providers to come in, I guess.
What a load of nonsensical BS. There MAGNITUDES more residential customers than OC3 ones so it would make a LOT MORE sense to invest - only if areas weren't held hostage by incumbent monopolies like Time Warner.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat

Premium Member

said by kamm:

said by Mizzat:

What a load of nonsensical BS. There MAGNITUDES more residential customers than OC3 ones so it would make a LOT MORE sense to invest - only if areas weren't held hostage by incumbent monopolies like Time Warner.
Exactly, magnitude of customers, but low profit margin. That is what we call a barrier of entry into a market. It would take huge capital to cover enough customers to start making a decent profit, ergo, less competition.
Mizzat

Mizzat to kamm

Premium Member

to kamm
said by kamm:

said by Mizzat:

Have you born like this? There's no competition whatsoever in most big cities, not matter where you live when you are ordering cable tv, internet service etc.

Cable companies are the most disgusting PoS business monopolies, they should be squashed like a bug.

Not sure what "Have you born like this?" means, but I think you have mistaken what I was writing about. I was writing of business services. There is plenty of competition there. Services cost more per customer, thus bigger profits to be made with your investment.

kamm
join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

kamm to Mizzat

to Mizzat
Another nonsese. It takes a lot LESS in fact, provided you're wiring up densely populated areas - but, of course, that would assume you are willing to compete.

Which is clearly NOT the case here, in the US.

CABLE INDUSTRY = DISGUSTING, PIECE OF SHIT MONOPOLIES, ANTI-EVOLUTION, GREEDY, USELESS CRAP COMPANIES

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat

Premium Member

said by kamm:

Another nonsese. It takes a lot LESS in fact, provided you're wiring up densely populated areas - but, of course, that would assume you are willing to compete.

Which is clearly NOT the case here, in the US.

CABLE INDUSTRY = DISGUSTING, PIECE OF SHIT MONOPOLIES, ANTI-EVOLUTION, GREEDY, USELESS CRAP COMPANIES
You clearly have no idea of the capital cost it takes to wire each house, even densely populated. Especially for a service that bills maybe $40. Unless you can right off the bat offer TV, phone, and other features, which add tremendously to the capital cost. Compared to business where you can make 3-8 times more off a single customer, and it is even more densely populated, i.e. buildings with multiple tenants, shopping centers, etc. where you'll sometimes have residential buildings, but not as many as those that are commercial. This is why there is plenty of competition for business, and mot much for residential.