Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FutureX2001

join:2000-10-25
Perris, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Where can I get Motorola 2210 Firmware - Or line issue?

Hey everyone, I did run a search and noticed a similar question in a thread below. However those did not provide a specific answer.

I am looking for downloadable firmware for the Motorola 2210.

Reason:
I am temporarily staying at my uncle’s house and he has ATT DSL out here in the Southern California area. When I attempted to connect my router+VoIP devices I immediately noticed his “modem” was not just a modem but a hybrid of some form with NAT- and PPPoE connection on-board. (Much different than my old SpeedTouch Home modem). This proved to be a little more difficult to setup… until I figured out you could put the Motorola into Bridge mode. The VoIP does the PPPoE connection… problem was solved, and all was well.

Fast forward 3 weeks, there is no DSL sync, there was high winds in these days. To troubleshoot everything on my end I reconfigured the modem to do PPPoE connection again and removed all other devices on my end (Router, VoIP). Still, no joy.

I am unsure if this is a line issue or modem issue. The modem is configured. The RED dsl sync light blinks and eventually gives up. The only lights that say green are the Ethernet and POWER LEDs. Every so often the modem will throw itself into an endless loop of reboots making it difficult to access the config page… a hard reset usually fixes that.

That’s where I currently stand… I contacted tech support over the phone 4 days ago, said I would get a call back as they couldn’t see the modem on their end. (I tried a different jack too… no change). I then used the ATT Direct forum for assistance, got a reply today, but they do not see sync on their end, and told me to try a different modem.

I do not currently have access to a different modem. So before and go call ATT again and get put on hold, or order a standard DSL modem off ebay…does anyone know where I may obtain the firmware for the 2210??

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
There is none.

FutureX2001

Perris, CA
No firmware was ever released? What does ATT do to dead modems? Send back to Motorola for a swap- load firmware at the factory?

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
Reno, NV
reply to FutureX2001
If the modem is dead due to failed components, I guess they just chuck them. When a modem dies because component failure, new firmware won't resurrect it.

No user could ever brick a 2210 modem by flashing with new firmware now, so there just aren't any modems that would need to be re-flashed at the factory through a JTAG port.

Mountaineer1
Big WVU Fan
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-12
Universe
kudos:2
reply to FutureX2001
Here is the at&t motorola firmware.
--
Got a Clark,Crown,Drexel forklift and need technical advice? Ask me about it.

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
Reno, NV
That is the same firmware as the modem currently ships with.

Mountaineer1
Big WVU Fan
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-12
Universe
kudos:2
said by d_l:

That is the same firmware as the modem currently ships with.
Yes it is,but the OP asked if there was any firmware available for download.
--
Got a Clark,Crown,Drexel forklift and need technical advice? Ask me about it.

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
Reno, NV

1 edit
That's true. ... but how often do you hear of someone wanting to re-flash a device, any device, with the same firmware. The usual purpose of flashing is to upgrade to a newer or revert to an older firmware versions.

I'd guess that the reason Motorola made that firmware available is to allow users to switch their modems between the two regional versions.

The OP could do that, but wait until Tier 1 tries to deal with a Southeast version modem. That will be fun.

Edit: Actually there might be some advantage to doing so as it looks as if the modem IP can be changed by the user (a hot topic of another thread): »att-training.net/simulator/2210s···rver.htm. I never noticed that before in the simulator; however, once someone switches firmware versions, they would have to then deal with the modem acting as a functional NAT router and not a DMZed router as the SBC version does. Also they would have to deal with the changed default VPI/VCI setting.

geektitan

join:2008-09-26
Hammond, IN
reply to FutureX2001
There are no current new firmware for motorola yet.. Once the modem goes bad. We replace it as long as it's covered by warranty..And in addition, re-flashing the modem with the same firmware would not make any sense..

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to FutureX2001

FutureX2001

Perris, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to FutureX2001
Thanks for the links to the firmware. That was what I was looking for. Was hoping a firmware reload would relieve any problems if the firmware had become corrupted.

Changed the firmware over and input all proper settings, unfortunately it did not solve the problem. The Motorola still acts oddly...

Power On...Ethernet Light Comes on...DSL light blinks red...stops blinks again...then turns off. Few seconds later the modem reboots (Power/Ethernet go off and on again) starting the process over.

I believe the modem itself is defective. I'll have to dig my old Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro from Storage (30mins) away over the weekend to try it here...

Thanks again everyone.

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX
it would probally be better to use the one from netopia directly.

there is also a reset button on the back of the unit that you have to use like a ballpoint pen to reset the factory defaults hold it for like 45 seconds or untill you see all the lights on the front start flashing and then stop.

How old is the modem ??? it may be under warrenty.
--
† Koma †
If YOu Don't Think It's Possable!! It's Acually A Reality!!The best way to predict the future is to invent it. Alan Kay!!
Ya Don't Know The signal Till Ya Ride It!!
Voice Break's There's Trouble!!!!

tonydi
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-11
San Jose, CA
reply to FutureX2001
said by FutureX2001:

Power On...Ethernet Light Comes on...DSL light blinks red...stops blinks again...then turns off. Few seconds later the modem reboots (Power/Ethernet go off and on again) starting the process over.
It's hosed. I replaced one a few weeks ago that acted exactly like this. My client was told not to stack the modem on top of her router, but she wanted more desk space and still stacked it. When I got there to check things out, the modem was smokin' hot, even hotter than these things normally run. I'm sure it just cooked itself, maybe faster than normal since it was only about 6-7 months old.

FutureX2001

Perris, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to FutureX2001
I think he's had it less than a year, maybe 10 or 11 months. Already done the reset method as well. It runs pretty hot but nothing blocks its' airflow. There were a few thunderstorms in the area lately, not sure if the lights went out for a while or not. Pretty sure it's toast.

Funny thing, I had my Alcatel SpeedTouch for over 10+ years back in my old house, still works fine, I'll go dig it out of storage to see if it works here. If it does, I'm guessing I can call ATT and request a modem replacement if it's still under warranty.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
said by FutureX2001:

I think he's had it less than a year, maybe 10 or 11 months.
The modems connection information page has a "First Use Date"
192.168.1.254/homeRES.htm
said by FutureX2001:

If it does, I'm guessing I can call ATT and request a modem replacement if it's still under warranty.

AT&T Yahoo HSI Equipment Warranty Info

FutureX2001

Perris, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to FutureX2001
Just wanted to close this thread... ATT sent out a new modem. However I plugged my old Alcatel SpeedTouch in and Voila it worked...

I let him keep it as the new area I have moved to does not provide DSL- only Verizon FIOS, which I am pretty happy with, but ATT served me well...